Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 07:31 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Progressive wammen spoil everything!

https://www.dailywire.com/news/39301...s-so-paul-bois
So, a bitter miserable woman, wants to think for others. So, they too are miserable.
Misery loves company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 07:33 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
It cetrainly doesn't equate to "most", and I'd argue that in this day and age of lawsuits most co's forgo the parties entirely.
I just reviewed my own comments, and I don't see the word "most" in any of them. As for skipping the parties, you are probably correct. A big part of the reason is liability if some fool gets drunk on company time and kills someone driving home.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:36 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
All company sponsored social events, particularly the ones that supply free alcohol, have virtually no upside and all manner of downside. Just based on common sense, companies shouldn't have them. If I ran Mega_Corp_01, I would simply close the office at noon on specific days and via email wish everyone well, have fun, thanks for being cool employees, etc. Easier, cheaper, less risk to me and every last one of them, etc.

Every company that has company paid functions that involve alcohol have always had some story come out that lives in infamy for years, and often results in someone being fired, quitting, or at the very least bad optics and lower morale in the workplace.

It's just not worth it.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:38 AM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I bet the politically correct New York Times Christmas Party is as dull as ditch water.

As far as I am concerned they can scrap work Christmas Parties, and just let everyone go home early in order to go out with real friends and family.
That's how I feel. I have zero desire to go to Christmas parties with women that I work with....or really do anything outside of work with them.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:38 AM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times
So have a drink or two, not ten, and wear normal clothes. Do not grope anyone or make lewd remarks. Be nice and wish everyone a happy holiday with their families.

This should not be hard for adults to do.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:39 AM

1,874 posts, read 818,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
That is not entirely true. I’ve been blasted for refusing to attend company events.
they can say what they want but they can't do anything about it

Old 12-13-2018, 07:39 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
So, a bitter miserable woman, wants to think for others. So, they too are miserable.
Misery loves company.
Nah, that's the writer's perspective, but it's not the only reason holiday parties, whether or not they are work-related, are a nightmare. Free-flowing alcohol is a real problem, and one that can have lasting consequences for both the perpetrator of bad behavior and the hosting organization. I'm all for having a bit of fun, but watching people stumble around, talking way too loud and making complete idiots of themselves, is simply not enjoyable for me and many others. There are always a few bad apples who don't know when to quit, and they ruin it for the rest of us. Vox is smart to limit the drinking at its holiday party, and other companies should follow suit.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:40 AM

1,874 posts, read 818,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Actually, I said nothing at all about sexual harassment, and was speaking of my dislike of office parties in general. My main reason for disliking them is that I am not a big fan of forced jollity, and would prefer to choose my own social events.

As to mandatory attendance, I know because I have worked for companies that had such a policy, and I am sure I'm not the only one. You can believe me or not - I really don't care - and no, I am not going to name the companies involved.
stop it. the damn thread is about sexual harassment at office xmas parties. maybe you can't stay on topic but i can.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:05 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
stop it. the damn thread is about sexual harassment at office xmas parties. maybe you can't stay on topic but i can.
I am not the only person who has expressed dislike for them for reasons unrelated to harassment. Get off my bumper.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:11 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
The whole article was a POS, especially when she tried to link in Kavanaugh for extra click-bait.

Maybe she is worried that women assaulted at the company Christmas party would not be able to remember where or when it happened?

Whiney whiney article with nothing but thinly veiled politics at it's core.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies