Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 05:02 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I just checked our district catalog because while I have shelved books about transgender issues while working in the library, I didn't recall seeing one by Jazz Jennings. Turns out we have four copies of I Am Jazz, including the version for younger readers featured in the article. I don't have any problem with it at all. It's important that libraries are resources for children exploring their interests and concerns, and transgenderism is something they either have encountered or will encounter during their time in our district. (I am personally aware of at least three transgender teenagers at our high school right now.) Libraries are the perfect place to find answers to their questions.
Got any books about becoming a nazi?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 07:08 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Got any books about becoming a nazi?
If you had continued reading the thread, you'd have come across my later comment that I shelved Adolf Hitler's Mein Kampf last Thursday. If someone wanted to use it as an instruction manual, I suppose they could. Why do we have it? The book is a resource for a senior-level history course on WWII.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:45 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
If you had continued reading the thread, you'd have come across my later comment that I shelved Adolf Hitler's Mein Kampf last Thursday. If someone wanted to use it as an instruction manual, I suppose they could. Why do we have it? The book is a resource for a senior-level history course on WWII.
Extremely boring book.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:52 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Do you not think there is correlation here? You have three transgenders right now. My kid’s school has at least ten. Could it be kids with some issues being drawn to this because it’s the new “it” thing? This is not normal. Kids are confused, and this only adds to the confusion. I would have no problem with it if parents and doctors weren’t putting these young kids on hormone therapy before they have any real idea if they are actually transgender or not. That’s an adult decision, not something irrevocable being forced on children.
Yes, think of all the decisions kids can't make for themselves about utterly inconsequential things. And you are right about the confusion and the power of suggestion and everything else. Good comment.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:55 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Yes, think of all the decisions kids can't make for themselves about utterly inconsequential things. And you are right about the confusion and the power of suggestion and everything else. Good comment.
I have read opinions from Psychiatric pediatricians who say that children under 10 don't have the capacity to determine if they want to be a different gender.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:20 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I have read opinions from Psychiatric pediatricians who say that children under 10 don't have the capacity to determine if they want to be a different gender.
To be honest, I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the easy reader version this book being read aloud to elementary schoolers without buy-in from parents, but I have no issue at all with it being available in a library for a child who expresses interest in learning about Jazz Jennings. Children are naturally curious about a lot of topics, and this book presents an opportunity to widen their horizons. I take issue with the assumption that to read about something means that one is seeking to emulate the author. People, even children, read for a lot of reasons, often just to increase understanding.

For all we know, this has come up is because there is a transgender person in the community about whom the children have already been asking questions, and for that reason, the school has determined that it's best to get things all out in the open. If that's the case, I choose to trust that the school administration is doing what they think is best. I realize that some believe it's better to pretend that things that make them uncomfortable are best kept hidden, but I don't subscribe to that line of thinking.

Last edited by randomparent; 12-16-2018 at 08:45 AM..

Old 12-16-2018, 08:26 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I know that, I just like to hear them say it and show them for the hypocrites that they are.
As far as Im concerned if someone wants their child educated to govt standards, let em have at it. Conversely those who seek other methods of education for their child or even none at all should be free to do so. And everyone can pay their own way or rely on charitable giving. If you like your gov skools you can keep your gov skools
I privately educate my children (we homeschool) and I'm more than happy to pay property taxes so other kids whose parents choose not to privately educate them can have some semblance of education. Adults running around who know nothing about history or science are already wreaking havoc; we don't need another generation of ignorant people.

As for the OP, I have no problem with it. I am not for book censorship. I wouldn't feel the need to personally agree with every single book my kids read or have read to them. Better for kids to be exposed to a wide variety of ideas and not just the narrowminded ones that their parents hold. If you don't want your children to be exposed to the world, then you can keep them home or in a religious school. We actually homeschooled for the opposite reason... we wanted our kids to be exposed to MORE diversity and MORE ideas than they would likely be exposed to in the public system.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:30 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
To be honest, I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the easy reader version this book being read aloud to elementary schoolers without buy-in from parents, but I have no issue at all with it being available in a library for a child who expresses interest in learning about Jazz Jennings.
I agree there's a significant difference between the two.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:32 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Do you not think there is correlation here? You have three transgenders right now. My kid’s school has at least ten. Could it be kids with some issues being drawn to this because it’s the new “it” thing? This is not normal. Kids are confused, and this only adds to the confusion. I would have no problem with it if parents and doctors weren’t putting these young kids on hormone therapy before they have any real idea if they are actually transgender or not. That’s an adult decision, not something irrevocable being forced on children.
I actually agree with much of this post. I don't think doctors put young kids on hormone therapy; a "transgender" young child just dresses in clothing sold in the department with the opposite gender sign hanging from the ceiling. My own daughter often buys jeans in the boys department (she's tiny) because jeans in the juniors section have very small pockets and it infuriates her. LOL

Just as kids went through grunge phases and emo phases 25 and 30 years ago, kids go through these phases now. No big deal. A small handful of the kids who want to dress like the opposite sex will actually go on to be transgender as adults, and at that time, they can make whatever decisions they'd like. Until then, let them dress how they want to and experiment. Many of these kids might turn out to be gay. Best for them to be comfortable in their own skin, and if that means little Matthew wears a dress, then so be it. I would not be amenable to my minor child having surgery or taking hormones, though, I don't think... Those options are available once they are adults if it's something they want to pursue. But I think if everyone just nodded and accepted these behaviors, they'd either go away or the child would realize that they really do want to transition later. Either way, no reason to traumatize them now. Read the book and let them realize that there are people in the world who don't have the same thoughts they do or that their parents do. That's the key to getting along with people who are different than you are and it should start in childhood.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:03 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I privately educate my children (we homeschool) and I'm more than happy to pay property taxes so other kids whose parents choose not to privately educate them can have some semblance of education.
Good for you, now tell us why the less fortunate should be forced to pay into the states incredibly expensive bureaucracy burdened one size fits all, education scheme? The average annual expense per pupil in a govt education center is now up to 12k per school year (yikes!) Free that money up and watch education improve dramatically.
Quote:
Adults running around who know nothing about history or science are already wreaking havoc; we don't need another generation of ignorant people.
so if we can agree there are "ignorant people" "running around" who were clearly govt educated, why wouldn't you be open to letting others explore alternatives? Thinking you know best, while hypocritically forcing that view on others, is myopic and immoral.

Quote:
As for the OP, I have no problem with it. I am not for book censorship. I wouldn't feel the need to personally agree with every single book my kids read or have read to them. Better for kids to be exposed to a wide variety of ideas and not just the narrowminded ones that their parents hold. If you don't want your children to be exposed to the world, then you can keep them home or in a religious school. We actually homeschooled for the opposite reason... we wanted our kids to be exposed to MORE diversity and MORE ideas than they would likely be exposed to in the public system.
So open minded lol Yet here you are trying to deny that right to others, by forcing them to pay into the states version of "education"()
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies