Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 08:35 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times

Advertisements

https://theconversation.com/the-nras...plained-108582

Revenues are falling. It is not news that the NRA does well, historically, when they can rail against national governments that tend to promote tighter gun control. With a "gun friendly" president and congress, they could not serve up the boogie man of "they want to take our guns away".

To top that, the horrible PR they have got as a results of their tone deafness on school shootings, and then attacking students who spoke out against the virtually uncurtailed ability to obtain rapid firing guns, has diminished them even in the eyes of many gun owners.

Politicians no longer universally need or even want NRA endorsement; in many cases, it is now the kiss of death rather than support in elections.

As a responsible gun owner, my perception is the sooner the Russia loving and money laundering NRA dissolves, the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 08:39 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,440,051 times
lmao..Another org will take their place and the outrage will be focused on them too. Too many people NEED to be outraged about something for self worth reasons and to place blame for their own failures elsewhere. It will never end until those people are rightfully ignored and people stop worrying about their "image" for supporting something.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:18 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
lmao..Another org will take their place...
Certainly. There's no lack of semi-traitorous old men who'll arrange conduits for foreign powers in return for money and a bit of tail. Or were you thinking about the gun thing they used to fleece the rubes?

I am enjoying the fact that Oliver North's name gets dragged through the mud again, though.

I may take up shooting again, now that the hobby doesn't come with the NRA stigma.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:27 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Politicians no longer universally need or even want NRA endorsement; in many cases, it is now the kiss of death rather than support in elections.
I don't recall this ever being the case. Universally?

Good luck winning a Senate seat in states like MT, ND, SD, ID, WY, AK, NE, UT and many many others with the NRA opposing you.

You sound extremely partisan in your rant. I don't approve of some of the NRA actions, I've never been a member either and my father dropped his membership so I get some of your arguments but you really took some of them wayyyy over the top to the point of dishonesty.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Good luck winning a Senate seat in states like MT, ND, SD, ID, WY, AK, NE, UT and many many others with the NRA opposing you.
Let's see how that pans put in 2020, because right now, it looks like solid evidence that the NRA funneled Russian cash to GOP candidates. And won't that make for some fun attack ads?

Old 12-14-2018, 12:34 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I don't recall this ever being the case. Universally?

You sound extremely partisan in your rant. I don't approve of some of the NRA actions, I've never been a member either and my father dropped his membership so I get some of your arguments but you really took some of them wayyyy over the top to the point of dishonesty.
MT?

Won by Jon Testor. Not endorsed. Re-elected in fact, even though Trump went out there twice to rail against him.

Most of the other one's were incumbent GOP seats, and have been forever. Now, which NRA endorsement won in CA, WA, NM, NV, AZ or MI? Well, which ones? Come on, tell us!

Old 12-14-2018, 12:57 PM

What is this - nobody wants to defend the NRA? Do I hear the sound of stickers coming off bumpers?

Old 12-14-2018, 01:02 PM

662 posts, read 313,021 times
The NRA was a respectable organization at one point. That was decades ago now. Now its full of conspiracy theorists, propagandists, and traitors like Ollie North.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:07 PM

13,943 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
What is this - nobody wants to defend the NRA? Do I hear the sound of stickers coming off bumpers?
Most serious 2A advocates and responsible gun owners have grown sick of the NRA's feckless acquiescence with the federal government, and that has been growing for years. That's why as NRA membership declines, much more serious "no compromise" groups have seen their membership rise. GOA, NAGR, etc....all far more hardcore than the NRA, and a better choice for the pro-2A lobbyist dollar.

Nothing to defend really. They jumped in the swamp inside the Beltway, and in trying to stay there, they have capitulated to Congress and the media on things pro-2A supporters did not want. They got money to fight for the 2, not to cower before media pressure. Other gun rights orgs don't waiver, ever.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Most serious 2A advocates and responsible gun owners have grown sick of the NRA's feckless acquiescence with the federal government, and that has been growing for years. That's why as NRA membership declines, much more serious "no compromise" groups have seen their membership rise. GOA, NAGR, etc....all far more hardcore than the NRA, and a better choice for the pro-2A lobbyist dollar.

Nothing to defend really. They jumped in the swamp inside the Beltway, and in trying to stay there, they have capitulated to Congress and the media on things pro-2A supporters did not want. They got money to fight for the 2, not to cower before media pressure. Other gun rights orgs don't waiver, ever.
Surely you're not denying that just one year ago, this board would have had NRA defenders posting all over, bragging about their lifetime memberships (and presumably their arsenals)? Now - not a peep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies