Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Journalism Source You Trust
New York Times 9 25.00%
Wall Street Journal 7 19.44%
Washington Post 4 11.11%
BBC 9 25.00%
Economist 2 5.56%
New Yorker 0 0%
Wire Services: The Associated Press, Reuters, Bloomberg 3 8.33%
Foreign Affairs 1 2.78%
Atlantic 0 0%
Politico 1 2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 11:00 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
If I accept your theory I'd have to conclude Fox watches are not bright and have no interest in politics and that's why they get things wrong. I do think age has a lot to do with it - that is, many Fox shows have the oldest audiences in the business. Stale minds and "angry at life" and all that.
All I'm saying is, the "profile" of someone who listens to NPR isn't the same as someone who listens to Fox, CNN, or MSNBC.

If I'm driving by myself, I'm almost always listening to NPR(unless they have some crazy leftist on who is spouting BS). But I'm not a "normal person". The vast-majority of people who are driving in their cars are listening to music, morning shows, etc.

But, even if I had never turned NPR on in my entire life, I would know pretty much everything I know now.

I prefer NPR and the BBC to Fox News and MSNBC. But there isn't a single news source which can be trusted on its own. And listening to only one news source will by no means make you informed.

The types of people who listen to NPR are more-likely to actually read and to otherwise be "independently-knowledgeable".

That doesn't mean there isn't useful information on MSNBC or CNN or Fox News. I really enjoy news aggregators, as well as forums and other social media. Because they often give you information that would have been impossible to find otherwise.

I learn useful things from CNN and Fox News all the time. They shouldn't be instantly discredited as simply "fake-news". But anything they say ought to be independently verified, and placed in proper-context, because it is often intended to mislead, even if it isn't technically false.

Sometimes what they say is so misleading that I categorize it in the realm of propaganda. And I get so annoyed that I literally want to punch my screen.

NPR is far less-likely to spew ridiculous propaganda, but they definitely aren't perfect. They parade a lot of so-called "experts" on who say things which aren't provably true, though not provably false either. Basically, they often present conjecture or majority-opinions as if they are facts.

So the correct answer to the OP's question is, none of the above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 11:26 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Mises - simply the best source of information on the net

Antiwar.com

Lewrockwell.com and Tom Woods are pretty good but not my favorites.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:29 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,895 times
Can I pick none of the above?

I lose brain cells after reading some of those sources

Old 12-15-2018, 12:43 AM

3,923 posts, read 3,645,956 times
I would say "none of the above" as far as any one trusted source that I use as a "go to" for my news. Generally, I will view and/or read several accounts of news stories that I am interested in. I do this hoping that I will be able to put together the real story through correlating remarks amidst all the spin that each news source inevitably applies to every story they report. Using only one or two news sites or channels does nothing but assure that you will be thoroughly indoctrinated according to that news site/channels political leanings and ideologies. Please believe me when I say that all news sources out there are biased in some way. Some more than others. So the only real way to get real news is to try to piece the truth together amidst all the spin and dramatization being applied to the news by every major news source in world today.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:49 AM

105 posts, read 75,978 times
I voted in the poll but

www.infowars.com

They usually have all the headlines and if I want to know more I search those headlines. And like the poster above says the only real way to get real news is to try to piece the truth together amidst all the spin and dramatization being applied to the news by every major news source in world today.

At least InfoWars is fun.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:31 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
No npr in the poll? I go with npr, BBC, wsj, nyt and then the low quality came stuff like faux and MSNBC. I actually think CNN is the most balanced of the cable outlets, but still low quality compared to the above

Old 12-15-2018, 05:32 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyWifiGoesSlow View Post
I voted in the poll but

www.infowars.com

They usually have all the headlines and if I want to know more I search those headlines. And like the poster above says the only real way to get real news is to try to piece the truth together amidst all the spin and dramatization being applied to the news by every major news source in world today.

At least InfoWars is fun.
Lol...

Old 12-15-2018, 05:43 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,751,778 times
None of the above.

I trust CBS News. They don't spend 23 hours a day bashing Trump. Most articles are covered in under 3 minutes. Unlike CNN, who bring guests on their shows, who all whine about Trump, CBS News is not highly opinionated and just REPORTS THE NEWS of the day, (novel idea, huh) that includes humorous stories, disaster coverage. etc.

CNN could learn from CBS. CNN has lost their way, filled with hate for the President.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies