Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do people assume you are or are not a Trump supporter?
Trump supporter: People correctly assume I am 10 13.51%
Trump supporter: People wrongly assume I am not 7 9.46%
Anti-Trump: People correctly assume I am 22 29.73%
Anti-Trump: People wrongly assume I am not 2 2.70%
People make no assumptions about me 33 44.59%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 11:41 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I'm surprised to see how many people don't like him
I'm not. Trump won the electoral vote, not the popular vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 11:42 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,287,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyblythe View Post
Ditto here. I'm a white, college-educated, senior woman. I do not suffer fools, braggarts, con-artists or criminals gladly. So, of course, I have long found Trump repulsive, disgusting and grandiosely full of himself; needing his comeuppance and greasing his way out of it with the scamming scion's ill-gotten gains. I've had no use for him. I was sadly disappointed with how many voters were so easily lead or duped by such a sociopathic narcissist. No accounting for some people. More, even, than I knew. Most people who know me very well, know my feelings about character, responsibility and Trump's lack of it.

When things were still white hot post-election, I had an appt. with a woman, near my age, with whom I've done business for a number of years. Our lives have often paralleled or mirrored each other in some similar major life experiences and family traumas (illness, caregiving, loss). We've been sharing and supportive in those things.

This area is mostly anti-Trump, but not so much so that you can count on it. There is always a clinker here and there. My business contact and I have never talked politics, but there was mention of how abominable the election had been. That opened the floodgates. We got on an "ain't it just awful" roll. After a few minutes of animated, bonded ventilating, I said, "I can't believe ANYONE would vote for Trump." She looked at me in surprise and said quietly, "I voted for Trump." Dead silence--- for what felt like a long time. We sat and looked at each other as if seeing each other for the first time. I finally said, "Well, back to business?" And nothing further has been said about it. But, that has felt like the elephant in the room since. I wish I had asked her why. I scrutinize our business paperwork VERY CAREFULLY. Anyone who would vote for Trump, with his blatant characterological disorders, is not someone I feel I can fully trust.

I don't talk politics with my doctor.
Hahaha, molly, what a great story! That’s the type of awkwardness I try to avoid.

I have a dear white friend. We are very similar in personality, and we love each other dearly. She’s pretty socially liberal, but I think she and her family are conservative otherwise. I suspect—though, I’d never ask her for fear of her answer—that she voted for Trump. If true, it would be hard for me not to look at her differently. In this one case, I’ll enjoy my ignorance.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:07 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Wow, I love your candor! Please, share as much as you want. I look forward to your thoughts.

I get it. I totally get where you’re coming from. Honestly, conservative blacks shock the hell out of me, too...only because of the way things are now. (Years ago—pre-Trump—black conservatives made total sense.) I have a hard time understanding the mentality of black folks who defend Trump. I mean, what...??

Shoot, I guess that’s why people always assume I’m anti-Trump. They can’t understand that alternative either. Still, though...I don’t walk up to anyone of any race with the assumption of their political leanings. As much as I don’t get the black Trump supporter, I know they exist...rare though they may be.
Well, like I said, the main thing is being accused of self-hatred. To be fair, that's something I've seen mainly on this forum, but if people are saying it here, who knows what others are thinking but not saying IRL?

In spite of my earlier comment about having some strong gut reactions, when I think about it, it's not something I really thought about or even noticed before the past few years. Maybe it's because I live in a more generally conservative area than I used to, or maybe it's because Trump himself is so polarizing. It really is hard to say. I think it might be a bit of both.

I can't think of much more just at the moment, in spite of the fact that I've been chewing on this for a while.

You want to know who I really feel for? Conservatives who don't like Trump. I mean actual fiscal conservatives, with whom I may not often agree, but who generally have at least some cogent argument to make for their position. Boy, are they ever having a hard time of it, being called traitors, RINOs, or worse, just because they don't appreciate having their party hijacked from under their noses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I just seemed like a conservative republican black guy to her.
I’m still dismayed, but forgave her for her ignorance and that bizarre insult.

I am against Trump, been against Trump from day one. I also try not to talk about politics in public. However, I'm learning that some people might assume that I don't support Trump.
I know I am usually surprised when I meet a black person who likes him, but honestly? That embarrasses the hell out of me, because race-based assumptions of any kind are opposed to everything I hope I believe in.

XXXXXXXXXX

Honestly ..... how sad (and disturbing) it must be to live a life where people look at the color of your skin and decide what/who you support Politically. Do they do the same with your view on Marriage, Children, Religion, Work, Movies, Where you shop, What you eat, What you wear ..... Life in general?

I don't discuss Politics (or Religion) with Friends, Family, Strangers, or anyone else.
I make no assumptions about people I don't know ....... and certainly NONE because of the above.
I would guess that NOBODY makes any "assumptions" about me .... I would HATE it, if they did.

Particularly - if it was something like the color of my hair, the length of my fingernails, whether I was Right/Left handed, what size shoe I wore, the car I drove .... OR the color of my skin.
I don't go around starting conversations about politics with strangers - I tend to let other people make the first move on that score - but I do discuss it with friends, and the opinions I've expressed are based on those experiences. I'd also like to point out that one doesn't have to be part of a conversation in order to overhear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder View Post
I don't understand why race has anything to do with supporting Trump, or not. I have many friends that are POC, some liberal, some Trump supporters. Heck, my ex is Mexican/Native American and a Trump supporter. My SIL is Mexican and a Trump supporter. What does it matter ?

What should matter is policy and political beliefs, not race. JMO
Once again, my comment is based on my experience, and my experience is that most of the black people I know and with whom I have discussed this do not like him. YMMV. I was asked a question, and I did my best to answer it as honestly as possible. I knew when I did so that some people wouldn't like it, but what else was I supposed to do? Lie about it?

Last edited by Catgirl64; 12-15-2018 at 12:25 AM..

Old 12-15-2018, 12:16 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyblythe View Post
Ditto here. I'm a white, college-educated, senior woman. I do not suffer fools, braggarts, con-artists or criminals gladly. So, of course, I have long found Trump repulsive, disgusting and grandiosely full of himself; needing his comeuppance and greasing his way out of it with the scamming scion's ill-gotten gains. I've had no use for him. I was sadly disappointed with how many voters were so easily lead or duped by such a sociopathic narcissist. No accounting for some people. More, even, than I knew. Most people who know me very well, know my feelings about character, responsibility and Trump's lack of it.

When things were still white hot post-election, I had an appt. with a woman, near my age, with whom I've done business for a number of years. Our lives have often paralleled or mirrored each other in some similar major life experiences and family traumas (illness, caregiving, loss). We've been sharing and supportive in those things.

This area is mostly anti-Trump, but not so much so that you can count on it. There is always a clinker here and there. My business contact and I have never talked politics, but there was mention of how abominable the election had been. That opened the floodgates. We got on an "ain't it just awful" roll. After a few minutes of animated, bonded ventilating, I said, "I can't believe ANYONE would vote for Trump." She looked at me in surprise and said quietly, "I voted for Trump." Dead silence--- for what felt like a long time. We sat and looked at each other as if seeing each other for the first time. I finally said, "Well, back to business?" And nothing further has been said about it. But, that has felt like the elephant in the room since. I wish I had asked her why. I scrutinize our business paperwork VERY CAREFULLY. Anyone who would vote for Trump, with his blatant characterological disorders, is not someone I feel I can fully trust.

I don't talk politics with my doctor.
This last presidential election is the very first one that has truly made me look at people in a whole, new (unflattering) way. Which saddens me, but I guess my eyes are open now.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:17 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I'm surprised to see how many people don't like him
Really? I’m not.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
This last presidential election is the very first one that has truly made me look at people in a whole, new (unflattering) way. Which saddens me, but I guess my eyes are open now.
Ditto, RedZin!

Old 12-15-2018, 01:50 AM

14,229 posts, read 4,593,980 times
People think I am anti-Trump because I am a POC.

I am a Trump supporter (or at least most of his policies)

Old 12-15-2018, 02:51 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,674,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I've been telling people how much I could not stand that jackass for decades, if he came up in conversation. Nobody is surprised that I don't like him.

Also, pretty much anyone who doesn't put up with racists, idiots, or bullies is unsurprised that I would not like him.

It's kind of a given, really.
Right. It's pretty automatic amongst the sane and rational.

Old 12-15-2018, 03:06 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
I'm female in a voting district where women are demonstrably anti-Trump and came out in droves to oust our Republican representative because he could not put enough distance between himself and the president, so if they know anything about where I live, they'd have a pretty good shot at guessing correctly. In general, though, I don't think there's anything particular about me that would indicate my opinion, and I'm not in the habit of discussing politics casually anywhere other than anonymously on C-D. I know only one person in my neighborhood who has even made a point of broadcasting his political leanings, and he's a Trump supporter. It did not surprise me, though, because one of my first encounters with him after we had been introduced was seeing him at the library where he was checking out a book by Ann Coulter about "talking to stupid liberals" or something like that. While I found him pleasant enough, at that point I knew that any chance of developing a friendship between our families was pretty much shot. and later encounters proved that the gulf between us was too wide to bridge. So we all remain casual acquaintances, and I studiously avoid any discussion of politics when we run into each other at neighborhood get togethers.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
People think I am anti-Trump because I am a POC.

I am a Trump supporter (or at least most of his policies)
Thanks for sharing.

Do people frequently walk up to you and say anti-Trump things...assuming you’d agree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies