Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2018, 10:35 AM

193 posts, read 68,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
I'm a lifelong devoted Republican.

If Obamacare goes away, I will never vote Republican again. I'm 59 years old and just had my first hospitalization, my first surgery and my first health-related nightmare. My medical costs were massive. Thankfully, I'm okay now. If not for Obamacare, I would be forced to declare medical bankruptcy.

I don't qualify for Medicare for six more years. Us baby boomers are in deep trouble if Obamacare goes away.
You haven't been saving in order to put away a nice nest egg to cover retirement+emergency expenses? I started working at 18, joined the Air Force and did a 10 year enlistment, I didn't buy fancy houses, cars or waste money on frivolous materialistic things. I invested money into 401K, college savings, high yield CDs and money market accounts. This is one of the major issues many people face today, failing to save money and then relying on the government + others to foot the bill because they did not properly save. Very unfortunate that many people are in this boat, I definitely think we need to offer financial education to children starting in schools at a very young age, the best way to cut down on govt dependency is to teach good financial management.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 11:34 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,432,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixlets82 View Post
You haven't been saving in order to put away a nice nest egg to cover retirement+emergency expenses? I started working at 18, joined the Air Force and did a 10 year enlistment, I didn't buy fancy houses, cars or waste money on frivolous materialistic things. I invested money into 401K, college savings, high yield CDs and money market accounts. This is one of the major issues many people face today, failing to save money and then relying on the government + others to foot the bill because they did not properly save. Very unfortunate that many people are in this boat, I definitely think we need to offer financial education to children starting in schools at a very young age, the best way to cut down on govt dependency is to teach good financial management.
So you can fund medication that might cost $81,000 a month? Sure.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:53 AM

19,451 posts, read 12,092,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
So you can fund medication that might cost $81,000 a month? Sure.
Right. They always have an answer, but not well thought out.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:57 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,735,735 times
Quote:
What an obnoxious presumption you've made. Medical expenses and health problems are not something you can budget for.

My daughter is a living organ doctor. The recipient's medical costs exceeded $250,000. NO ONE can "plan" for that kind of expense.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:02 PM

14,888 posts, read 9,993,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
What an obnoxious presumption you've made. Medical expenses and health problems are not something you can budget for.

My daughter is a living organ doctor. The recipient's medical costs exceeded $250,000. NO ONE can "plan" for that kind of expense.
How much of a monthly subsidy do you receive via Obamacare?

Old 12-17-2018, 12:06 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,207,148 times
Quote:
What about placing Civics Education and improving Health Education in schools long before we start focusing primarily on financial management.

People place a lot on money measurements, but what matter is people understand the Civics of Living in a Democracy, that is Administered by and thought a Republican form of governance where we elect representatives to represent the concerns, causes and issue and other matters that relate to governance, legislature and judicial systems, not only at the Federal Level, but States, Country, City and Community.

All such things have much to do about the basis of what is financial... Because we have a society today, where business has lost all sense of responsibility it has to States, City and Community. Many today are void of even understanding such things.

One can start early earning, but life has many twist and turns, and one does not know when they may loose all they have worked to save and possess. No on has an exemption to that possibility.

There are many who lost much by many means.... so, aside from measuring others by the financial position some may enjoy today, is not a position of grandstanding that anyone should stand upon as if its a unshakable foundation.
I've seen corporate policies rip people from one end to the next, I have direct experience with such taking place and I'm sure many others have as well. So... nothing is a sure and lasting things, in such regards of accumulating and/or having money.

People should be all for the system of taxation to be utilized to provide "health care"....

Guarantee any who by what ever means loose their money, or their job sponsored health coverage, will be glad for National Health Care and they'd be more happy to at such times get a program that functions like Medicare, with payments similar to Medicare.

Anyone can fight anything when they feel they are in a secure position, but what they can't do, is have a guarantee that their current secure position will remain secure....

Old 12-17-2018, 12:10 PM

155 posts, read 124,557 times
Waited 8 years 6 months for this. Proud to be an American.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:00 PM

8,480 posts, read 3,298,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
What if you are the only doctor in town. The banker that just foreclosed on your sisters house, and the next day, breaks his leg..... Can you seriously force the doctor to treat the banker? Throwing him in jail leaves you no doctor at all in the town.
What a crossroads to be at. Deciding if healthcare is a right.
You are so correct. We're at a crossroads with no clear direction - or, more to the point, resolution.

This is a tad more difficult that what can be resolved by a Trump tweet to Nancy and Mitch to come up with a "great" plan. There are a bunch of essential questions like "is health care a right" unsettled not to mention basic health care system design, profitability issues to consider, and then all the myriad "details" like preexisting conditions.

Republicans did not want to address health care with the 2020 elections on the horizon ... Democrats are themselves split with the progressive wing increasingly advocating some sort of single payer system.

There is no "going back." Technology (everything from PET imaging to biological drugs) makes it increasingly impossible to evade the question of whether or not "health care is a right" with the associated issue of how then to pay for it.

The ACA attempted to straddle these issues (and not always well). The Texas decision reopened them. It's all well and good to talk of "compromise" and who doesn't want a political system based on compromise.

But there are some starkly different perspectives here.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:21 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,156,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Just wish the conservatives here had the guts to simply say that if you are poor, your economic input is not sufficient to warrant significant medical care/insurance.

I think T310 came close once.
Personal responsibility is what I espouse. Only idiots breed that can’t afford them. Maybe someone should invent a anti-stupid vaccine.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:23 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,156,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
If you don't understand what slavery and indenture is, that's on you. It is using others to pay for other people stuff.
Guess it was fine as long as it was poor whites and working poor whites within indenture and under slavery to pay for other peoples stuff as long as it benefited the historical premise of white man as being the beneficiaries of such. We know they were because women were not considered as person, had no voice in voting, and poor whites and working poor whites had their votes dictated to them by the wealthy white men who controlled business, industry and the political positions.

I'll let you deal with what ever suits your opinion.
All that has nothing to do with personal responsibility in paying your own way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies