Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2018, 06:07 PM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I agree. As I have written before (some years ago), when I first obtained my law license I applied for a job with a large health insurance company with an office in Fort Worth. At the interview I was told that my job would be to examine policies in which the insured had filed a claim, to see if the policy could be terminated for reasons including pre-existing conditions.

For those that have never purchased health insurance, an applicant would often have to undergo a physical examination by a doctor retained by the insurance company. You were given a very long, very detailed form to complete, in which you were to list all health problems (save for common colds, sore throats and the like), you have ever experience. Based on the physician's examination and your report, the insurance company would determine your rate, if accepted.

Obviously, people would hedge on their past health problems (much easier prior to the age of computers and electronic filings). The healthier you were, the better your rate. However, if you subsequently had, say, a heart attack, and the insurance company discovered that 25 years prior to that you were briefly treated for high blood pressure, then the policy would be considered void.

Another example you ask? Sure. Say you deny having a history of cancer. You then develop lung cancer. An investigation reveals that some years ago you had benign skin cancer (basal), that was easily treated, and which you did not think warranted reporting on that form you completed. Yet, that would be enough to cancel your policy. You would be left having to pay for your own cancer of the lung treatment. Don't have the money? Sorry.

I declined the job. After a period of private practice (family law), I started working for Social Security in 1988 for the disability department, writing decisions for the administrative law judges.

I recall one case a few years ago. The claimant, a woman in her 40s, had filed for disability citing complications due to diabetes (which I also have). She had been denied at the state level, and so filed to my Federal level.

However, when she appeared at the hearing, she told the judge that the prior year she had signed up for a subsidized insurance policy under Obamacare. She was able to begin regular treatment by one doctor, instead of her occasional visits to the emergency room when her condition was acute.

This woman told the judge that she had improved so much, that she was able to get a job. She was asking for a closed period of disability, covering that period between her alleged onset date and some few months after she began regular treatment. She had literally improved that much with supervised care.

The average disability recipient gets some $300,000.00 in benefits, not counting their Medicare coverage during that period. This woman I speak of? With Obamacare, she was paying $5.00 per month, and she no longer needed emergency care (a savings for us that pay property taxes here in Fort Worth), and she was gainfully employed (she began paying income tax). She did not get her closed period, but I doubt she cared. She was regaining her health, was gainfully employed, and we the people were not on the hook for some $300,000.

A person wrote me that my posting should be 'bumped' at times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
There should be no taxes at all.
What a brilliant statement.

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The US decided that healthcare is a right way back in 1986 when EMTALA was passed.

https://www.acep.org/life-as-a-physi...la-fact-sheet/

So since that issue has been decided, the only question that remains is, do we put money into preventing disease and keeping people out of emergency rooms, or just wait until everything is an emergency and treat all health problems there?

That was emergency medical treatment in an emergency only.

And it didn't mean that you wouldn't get a bill.

Again, in order for everyday sundry healthcare to be a "right" you would have to mandate that someone else provide their labor to you on demand without recompense.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:10 PM

21,933 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Just a heads up....US taxpayers are paying more than Canadians now, and we afford universal care, why can't you?

The tax rate for a married couple with one income and two kids in the U.S. is 12 times as high as the tax rate on the same family in Canada.
No, that's not a typo.
It's among new data from the OECD, which shows that the old belief Canadians are a higher-taxed people than Americans is no longer true. The numbers are all the more remarkable when considering how much more value for money Canadian wage earners get for their taxes than Americans — our universal health care system being one obvious example.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/0...cd_a_23426460/
Do you have millions of illegals immigrants crashing your borders?

Old 12-15-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
All of those other areas where technology is in play have free market characteristics with price transparency and limited government involvement...go figure, but yea, lets get government even more involved!

Healthcare costs are high because of insurance.

Insurance companies being involved removes a big part of the "free market"

People don't care how much something costs when someone else is paying.

But if you did away with insurance, people would demand lower costs and competition would increase..

Old 12-15-2018, 06:11 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
What a brilliant statement.
Stop wasting money honey and stop being the police of the world. Let these countries kill each other for all i care.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:24 PM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I agree. As I have written before (some years ago), when I first obtained my law license I applied for a job with a large health insurance company with an office in Fort Worth. At the interview I was told that my job would be to examine policies in which the insured had filed a claim, to see if the policy could be terminated for reasons including pre-existing conditions.

For those that have never purchased health insurance, an applicant would often have to undergo a physical examination by a doctor retained by the insurance company. You were given a very long, very detailed form to complete, in which you were to list all health problems (save for common colds, sore throats and the like), you have ever experience. Based on the physician's examination and your report, the insurance company would determine your rate, if accepted.

Obviously, people would hedge on their past health problems (much easier prior to the age of computers and electronic filings). The healthier you were, the better your rate. However, if you subsequently had, say, a heart attack, and the insurance company discovered that 25 years prior to that you were briefly treated for high blood pressure, then the policy would be considered void.

Another example you ask? Sure. Say you deny having a history of cancer. You then develop lung cancer. An investigation reveals that some years ago you had benign skin cancer (basal), that was easily treated, and which you did not think warranted reporting on that form you completed. Yet, that would be enough to cancel your policy. You would be left having to pay for your own cancer of the lung treatment. Don't have the money? Sorry.

I declined the job. After a period of private practice (family law), I started working for Social Security in 1988 for the disability department, writing decisions for the administrative law judges.

I recall one case a few years ago. The claimant, a woman in her 40s, had filed for disability citing complications due to diabetes (which I also have). She had been denied at the state level, and so filed to my Federal level.

However, when she appeared at the hearing, she told the judge that the prior year she had signed up for a subsidized insurance policy under Obamacare. She was able to begin regular treatment by one doctor, instead of her occasional visits to the emergency room when her condition was acute.

This woman told the judge that she had improved so much, that she was able to get a job. She was asking for a closed period of disability, covering that period between her alleged onset date and some few months after she began regular treatment. She had literally improved that much with supervised care.

The average disability recipient gets some $300,000.00 in benefits, not counting their Medicare coverage during that period. This woman I speak of? With Obamacare, she was paying $5.00 per month, and she no longer needed emergency care (a savings for us that pay property taxes here in Fort Worth), and she was gainfully employed (she began paying income tax). She did not get her closed period, but I doubt she cared. She was regaining her health, was gainfully employed, and we the people were not on the hook for some $300,000.
This is what the free unregulated market looks like, those who believe that competing companies will lower the cost of health care are dreaming.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Here is the problem...Some doctors are charging both government and patients privately in illegal double-dipping practice. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle35260558/ Bear in mind that each province runs it's own health care, and no two are exactly alike.
Re your edit...The US does not foot the bill for our defense....What gives you that crazy idea?

You don't think that the proximity of Canada to the United States, the most powerful country in the world, means that Canada doesn't reap fringe benefits defense wise?

Really?

If Russia launched a nuke at Montreal, what country would be shooting it down?

If Quebec was invaded, who do you think would come to your rescue?

The French Foreign Legion?

Lolz.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:31 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,652,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
You don't think that the proximity of Canada to the United States, the most powerful country in the world, means that Canada doesn't reap fringe benefits defense wise?

Really?

If Russia launched a nuke at Montreal, what country would be shooting it down?

If Quebec was invaded, who do you think would come to your rescue?

The French Foreign Legion?

Lolz.
Russia owns our current president. Why do they have to attack Canada?

Old 12-15-2018, 06:37 PM

33,541 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Do you have millions of illegals immigrants crashing your borders?
No, but we have lots of legal immigrants....21.9% of people in Canada are immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies