Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the US tax the bejesus out of privately owned cars?
Yes, do it to fight our loneliness crisis. 4 8.70%
Yes, but do it because it's the right thing to do, not to fight loneliness 1 2.17%
No, leave the taxes where they are, or even reduce them. 37 80.43%
other (please explain below). 4 8.70%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 11:48 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times

Advertisements

Where’s my yellow vest? No more taxes for anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 12:48 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Important to know what the Danes are doing - I did business there, visited a few times and made friends with Danes and their families.

But the poll sucks and narrowing it down to a car tax or not is ridiculous. I could tell you a little about Denmark....

1. In even the smallest town, you can get a trolley or a regular train that goes just about anywhere - anytime.
2. Bike lanes are everywhere - completely separate from the street. Many Danes use them year-round.
3. They don't live to work - they work to live.
4. 16 year olds can drink beer and even have sex... both with the full approval of their parents.
5. They take pride in their accomplishments - greed is NOT good, but rather accomplishment (not $$) is looked up to.
6. Cradle to Grave health care and social services and safety net for ALL - all of the time.
7. Highly educated populace - you will almost never find a Dane who has not been all around the world...of course, education is free.
8. Tolerance is the name of the game - everywhere. Liberalism is their creed.
9. Environmental matters are of utmost importance.
10. They drink every day at lunch...and then, from that time on.
11. A work week is 33-35 hours - full time pay and benefits and Unions.

That's just off the top of my head.

So, my poll is...do you think your question is a good poll?
The only thing I would add is that, although #1 is definitely true, I think it is beneficial to the society as a whole that a bit over one third of the citizens live in the Copenhagen metro.

(Of my three best friends in Europe, one lives in Sweden, one lives in Italy, and one lives in Copenhagen. I definitely enjoy spending time in Denmark )

Old 12-16-2018, 01:15 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Everyone knows what the rules of society and culture are. Bring in people who come from very different backgrounds and you are asking for trouble unless you demand they learn and adhere to YOUR rules.
Denmark is not without controversy.

There is talk of an island for migrants with a criminal record and for rejected asylum seekers:

https://www.eurotopics.net/en/211389...-for-migrants#

Old 12-16-2018, 06:02 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Nowhere did I suggest that we could not also do any of those other things as well. But if I did a poll with 12 topics, and four responses each, I would have had 48 poll response options. Feel free to put up such a poll if you wish, but it's going to be a lot of typing for you.

Did you notice the 'other' option in my poll? I almost always include the 'other' option in polls, for those like you who find my options inadequate.
OK, I read the article and have absolutely no idea how you pulled "tax cars" out of that.

For that matter, I can't see how eliminating cars would do anything except make a bunch of otherwise housebound individuals (seniors, disabled, etc.) unable to get to where the people are.

Explain yourself!

Old 12-16-2018, 06:23 AM

628 posts, read 663,212 times
It is not the governments job to social engineer. They have already far over stepped their bounds in this area.
And stop with this emulating Denmark crap. Denmark is 90% Christian white. It is a high-trust community of family, brotherhood, and blood, and shared tradition. The US is a low-trust mishmash of incompatible races, cultures, religions, who are bound solely by consumerism.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:50 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.â€" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
In the US we are currently experiencing a 'loneliness crisis' that has been widely reported.
https://www.ajc.com/news/health-med-...3qZI8WlukHfpK/
It may be partially responsible for our increasing suicides and drug deaths, and in turn our declining lifespans.
We Americans spend much time in the sealed metal and glass boxes that we call automobiles. No wonder we are bereft of human contact!

The Danes have a convivial and cohesive society; this has even been proven by OECD studies. Denmark taxes the bejesus out of privately owned automobiles. Until just recently the Danes taxed economy cars at 105%, and higher-priced at 180%. There is also a VAT tax slapped on, and annual environment fees. As in most European nations, fuel is heavily taxed. The result is that Danes tend to get out of their steel and glass boxes, and onto bicycles and public transit. No wonder they don't have our loneliness crisis!

Do you agree that we should increase car taxes as a way to fight loneliness?
Does reffering people to community activities and voluntary services really cost much in taxes.

Does having postal workers check on the elderly really add that much to your taxes.

PM launches Government's first loneliness strategy - GOV.UK

Often just encouraging people to talk to people, or encouraging people to engage in activities from walking groups through to arts, crafts, sport, leisure and numerous other voluntary activities helps, and it doesn't place any real burden on tax payers.

Just talking to people and engaing with them has proved succesful in terms of reducing rail suicides, and it doesn't cost the tax payer a penny.

Drop in rail suicides after new Samaritans course - BBC News

UK suicide rate shows largest drop for 20 years - BBC News

Male suicide drops to lowest level in 30 years amid reduced mental health stigma - The Telegraph

Drop in suicide rate in Britain linked to prevention work in England - The Guardian

Last edited by Brave New World; 12-16-2018 at 07:02 AM..

Old 12-16-2018, 06:56 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times
I live in the boondocks without a car which I cannot afford to have fixed. There is no public transportation. Cabs cost a fortune. The ride services aren't much better. I'm what will happen if car taxes are higher for a lot of people. Depression would go up in America with this asinine plan, not down.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:59 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times
Quote:
In the US we are currently experiencing a 'loneliness crisis' that has been widely reported.
https://www.ajc.com/news/health-med-...3qZI8WlukHfpK/
It may be partially responsible for our increasing suicides and drug deaths, and in turn our declining lifespans.
We Americans spend much time in the sealed metal and glass boxes that we call automobiles. No wonder we are bereft of human contact!

The Danes have a convivial and cohesive society; this has even been proven by OECD studies. Denmark taxes the bejesus out of privately owned automobiles. Until just recently the Danes taxed economy cars at 105%, and higher-priced at 180%. There is also a VAT tax slapped on, and annual environment fees. As in most European nations, fuel is heavily taxed. The result is that Danes tend to get out of their steel and glass boxes, and onto bicycles and public transit. No wonder they don't have our loneliness crisis!

Do you agree that we should increase car taxes as a way to fight loneliness?
Denmark is the size of a small state and has good public transportation in place. Apples and oranges...
NO we should not tax cars any more than we already do and certainly not as some plan to combat loneliness.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:05 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
It is not the governments job to social engineer. They have already far over stepped their bounds in this area.
And stop with this emulating Denmark crap. Denmark is 90% Christian white. It is a high-trust community of family, brotherhood, and blood, and shared tradition. The US is a low-trust mishmash of incompatible races, cultures, religions, who are bound solely by consumerism.
Western Russia is 90% Christian White also. Poland? Yet they mass murdered and fought and certainly don't have the tolerance of the Danes.

Remember, the Danes are VIKINGS.....some of the most violent people on the planet.

"Christian"? Do you mean to say they went through that Phase? What percentage of Danes go to Church? When I was there Churches were tourist attractions, not places that the populace prayed.

"only 19% of Danes consider religion to be an important part of their life."

So are we saying that if the US gave up our fundies and cut our attendance way down things might be better? Maybe.

Human are humans and attempts to say "those murderous Vikings are different" seems like a reach.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:08 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Denmark is not without controversy.

There is talk of an island for migrants with a criminal record and for rejected asylum seekers:

https://www.eurotopics.net/en/211389...-for-migrants#
As the saying goes, people are basically good...but put two together and you have politics.

No one is claiming that Humans measure up to our own lofty ideals. But the Danes certainly get a LOT closer to those values than the USA does...using statistics.

Even at the basic level - go to WV or KY or many rural areas here and you will find that many people dump their trash into large gullies or hillsides next to the road.

Why? I'd love to have a decent answer other than "the USA soils it's own nest".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies