Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 12:15 PM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
M 16 was the same way. A little dirt and it would misfire.
I have an AR that is a pistol
I have one that is a bolt action single shot

The AR platform can even be a shotgun, it can be whatever we want
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
An ethical hunter doesn't "spray and pray". This country was settled wiith single-shot rifles that took 30 seconds to a minute to reload between shots. If you know your weapon and practice with it, one shot is still sufficient. My Ruger #1 in .30-06 I bought in 1985 is still taking deer as fast as they walk in front of me.
Many think an ethical hunter uses a compound bow.
Recurve guys think they are the only ethical hunters and on and on and on.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:24 PM

1,991 posts, read 899,366 times
Shouldn’t this topic be in the Hobbies Section of CD?

Old 12-17-2018, 12:33 PM

13,943 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
At close range (less than 15 feet) the pattern on a 12 guage depending on brand of ammo is 1.5 to 4 inches. The recoil is also much worse than an AR. This makes a major difference in a high stress self defense situation.
But 9x .30 cal (sorta, most #00 is .34 in diameter, but we'll say .30 cal for ease of use), 60gr pellets spread over ~3 inches average (at 15 feet) has much better single shot stopping power than an AR, and in stressful situations the first shot matters a ton. Shotguns simply accomplish more with the first shot than any other home defense choice.

And slugs, should you get serious about dropping things with one shot, guaranteed...well, considering a plain jane pump action 12 gauge can deliver ~2600 ft/lb inside 20 yards with a hollow point slug, that starts its wound channel at almost an inch diameter? That's big hurt per shot either way you go. ~300 grain slug, or ~540 gr total weight from the 00 pellets...just a whole lotta close range kickass per trigger pull.

And oh btw, they make semiauto shotguns. For home defense, shotguns are tough to beat.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
But 9x .30 cal (sorta, most #00 is .34 in diameter, but we'll say .30 cal for ease of use), 60gr pellets spread over ~3 inches average (at 15 feet) has much better single shot stopping power than an AR, and in stressful situations the first shot matters a ton. Shotguns simply accomplish more with the first shot than any other home defense choice.

And slugs, should you get serious about dropping things with one shot, guaranteed...well, considering a plain jane pump action 12 gauge can deliver ~2600 ft/lb inside 20 yards with a hollow point slug, that starts its wound channel at almost an inch diameter? That's big hurt per shot either way you go. ~300 grain slug, or ~540 gr total weight from the 00 pellets...just a whole lotta close range kickass per trigger pull.

And oh btw, they make semiauto shotguns. For home defense, shotguns are tough to beat.
If you use a rifled barrel those pellets will really disperse nicely. I was getting about a 3 x 3 pattern at 20 yards with the flyers and 3.5 inch magnum 00 buck.

Not something very fun to shoot though with 74 lbs recoil.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:59 PM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Why would you assume that because an individual uses an AR that it is a "spray and pray"?

Because they are completely clueless as to what an AR15 is. And assume it is like the ones they see in movies or video games.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:10 PM

764 posts, read 234,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post

The problem with shotguns is the recoil....... For people who are not "shooters" this is a problem. I personally prefer a handgun in close quarters, but that is what I train with most often. For most people the ability to put many rounds downrange with minimum recoil is paramount.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
because they are completely clueless as to what an ar15 is. And assume it is like the ones they see in movies or video games.
Attached Thumbnails
Top 10 Reasons You Should Own An AR-15-pew-pew-pew.jpg  

Old 12-17-2018, 02:36 PM

13,943 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
The problem with shotguns is the recoil....... For people who are not "shooters" this is a problem. I personally prefer a handgun in close quarters, but that is what I train with most often. For most people the ability to put many rounds downrange with minimum recoil is paramount.
In a home defense situation, you aren't putting tons of ammo down range. You fire once, maybe twice. And that recoil on your end means something a whole lot worse is coming out of the other end.

Personally, I have a 9mm Beretta with proper ammunition for nightstand defense. My other firearms, including my shotgun, are for hunting and range practice. I have the shotgun available, it's in a ready state for me to sweep the house, but I choose my handgun as my weapon of choice for middle of the night WTF? scenarios. Recoil from shotguns never bugged me much. Once you learn how to absorb it, the effect is minimal.

Old 12-17-2018, 02:37 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
An ethical hunter doesn't "spray and pray". This country was settled wiith single-shot rifles that took 30 seconds to a minute to reload between shots. If you know your weapon and practice with it, one shot is still sufficient. My Ruger #1 in .30-06 I bought in 1985 is still taking deer as fast as they walk in front of me.
A semi auto is much better for rabbits, squirrels and feral hogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies