Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 10:21 AM

73,006 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You don't have a clue, do you?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/worl...ston-1.3322514

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2017/102...-irish-in-usa/

https://www.voanews.com/a/deportatio...y/4268022.html

And so it goes...

New York, Boston, and many other areas had tons of illegal Irish with nearly all being visa overstays of some form or another. They sure as heck didn't walk across the southern or northern border.

Back in the day Irish Echo (local newspaper) and other media were full of adverts for "Irish nannies", and for certain mothers that was the de facto status symbol. https://www.irishecho.com/2012/05/sp...claim-a-prize/

Unlike the 1800's and early 1900's when Irish flooded the United States via what were then legal channels; many of the Irish girls and women working as nannies in the 1980's and 1990's were visa overstays. The work was often off the books so that was that.

And so it goes: https://www.irishcentral.com/news/un...4308-237415961

When the Celtic Tiger (Ireland economy) took off in the 1990's many Irish illegals "self deported" to go back home. Some weary of being "illegals", others felt since the *Troubles* were over and things were looking good it was time to head home. More so if they married and or had children. Those parents wanted their kids to see their grands, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.....
And this shows that illegals can be from anywhere. I recognize that there are alot of illegals of Mexican background in America. That said, I'm not trying to turn this into "keep the Mexicans away". If someone comes to America illegally, whether they overstayed their visa or made illegal entry, I'm not really concerned about what country they came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 10:34 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times
So it appears the visas in question are ones that normally go to Australians but aren't being filled, so this wouldn't change the percentage of white people coming in to the country. Should placate those who don't like white people coming here. Also it would be a reciprocal deal, meaning there would be more visas available for Americans who want to work in Ireland. That may **** off people who think only muslims and Africans should be moving in to Ireland but it shouldn't cause problems for the rest of us.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:37 AM

14,226 posts, read 4,592,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And this shows that illegals can be from anywhere. I recognize that there are alot of illegals of Mexican background in America. That said, I'm not trying to turn this into "keep the Mexicans away". If someone comes to America illegally, whether they overstayed their visa or made illegal entry, I'm not really concerned about what country they came from.
another thing people need to remember is there is a difference between unlawful presence (i.e.visa overstay) and improper entry (i.e border jumper, using a fake passport)

unlawful presence (visa overstay) is a civil matter whereas improper entry (border jumper) is a federal crime

Old 12-20-2018, 10:41 AM

73,006 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
another thing people need to remember is there is a difference between unlawful presence (i.e.visa overstay) and improper entry (i.e border jumper, using a fake passport)

unlawful presence (visa overstay) is a civil matter whereas improper entry (border jumper) is a federal crime
If said persons is here the illegal way, it's still the same. If you overstay your visa, it is illegal.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:50 AM

15,530 posts, read 10,499,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
The reason why Irish only need ESTA = VWP instead of traditional B1/B2 visa is because their visa denial rate is less than 3%.

Modern Ireland is a developed country with strong economy and functional & stable government, so there is no need for Irish citizens to overstay in US for jobs and quality of life.
But, they are. A couple of years ago, I ran into a bunch of them in NYC. Bartenders, wait staff and so on were here illegally. They need to go home.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
But, they are. A couple of years ago, I ran into a bunch of them in NYC. Bartenders, wait staff and so on were here illegally. They need to go home.
did you check their paper or ran their personal info through TECS for immigration status?

Old 12-20-2018, 11:05 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post

You must be a real history buff...

Excellent post, as predicted, crickets from Tall Traveler.

You have to love how C-D posters come in here and say racist things but then get all pissed off when liberals "play the race card", so to speak. It's one of the great things about these online forums, people find the courage behind their keyboard to say all the vile things they really believe but lack the courage to say to an actual live person. They also know they can't actually back up the things they say with logic. There's a reason the anti-immigrant crowd get so flustered and/or non-responsive when you start throwing actual facts at them regarding border security.

Quote:
Again, I don't care what ethnicity is coming here. I only care that said persons come here legally, behave themselves, treat others as they wish to be treated, be good citizens, be good people. If Irish immigrants want to come here, be my guest. I don't like persons on here or anywhere acting with this racial nativism mentality. This whole "the white race is better than everyone else" mentality is disgusting. I don't adhere to "this race is better than that race" mentality.

Amen!

Old 12-20-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
If said persons is here the illegal way, it's still the same. If you overstay your visa, it is illegal.
One "illegal way" results in a fine and other civil penalties

The other "illegal way" results in incarceration and/or fine and other civil penalties

It's like saying a DUI (criminal matter) is the same as a traffic ticket (civil matter) for failure to make a complete stop a stop sign. Not quite the same if you ask me.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:10 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
So it appears the visas in question are ones that normally go to Australians but aren't being filled, so this wouldn't change the percentage of white people coming in to the country. Should placate those who don't like white people coming here. Also it would be a reciprocal deal, meaning there would be more visas available for Americans who want to work in Ireland. That may **** off people who think only muslims and Africans should be moving in to Ireland but it shouldn't cause problems for the rest of us.
I doubt the people who care even work.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:19 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
No surprise here...conservatives love immigration if it means more white people in the United States.
Ryan is not conservative. And we don't need any immigrants at all, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies