Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 06:48 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Why is this even a requirement? Why is anyone asking a U.S. citizen to sign such an oath?

Here's the lawsuit:

https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...er-Israel.html

Here's Glenn Greenwold's article on it:

https://theintercept.com/2018/12/17/...-anti-bds-law/

Read it all.

I'd love to hear what others have to say about this.
This is something the alt-right legislature slipped in
Yes--it is likely illegal
Yes--the ACLU will have to sue--maybe already has taken up her case

You could be a supporter of Israel and still refuse to sign something like that

In TX the voters are conservative and most of the time only listen to Fox News
My state representative is someone I have voted against 3 times because he is an idiot
Believes that marital rape does not exist
Has brought a personal handgun to the floor of the Legislature because he believes in gun rights
But unfortunately my district is a microcosm for most of TX and even a moderate Republican can't get a toehold
The fact that he is very religious conservative helps his appeal because funded by private school money he supports vouchers from the state to help parents pay for church schooling vs public school...
Not part of the state's policy at this time but they keep pushing those bills...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 06:50 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I can't support anyone being asked to sign oaths or make vows that aren't directly related to how they do their job. The Hippocratic Oath and the like are fine. Opinions on Israel or left/right political issues don't seem to fall into that category.
Seems inappropriate to be asked to sign anything political in a school contract. I think she'll win her suit. And, was this in her first contract?? Why is it in this one?

Old 12-20-2018, 01:39 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
https://twitter.com/cynthiamckinney/...06314991951872

She actually did. I remember watching a video from her about this, but I thought that it was only for Congress critters and those in the Senate, (which I didn't agree with and still don't). I had no idea it was going to be for anyone working in a public role.

Watch the video, he brings up how this is not just for those who have a job in the public, it's for any of you who ever need assistance with funds from the government. I was going to bring that up the other day and then totally forgot.

Old 12-20-2018, 02:01 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
That law is so completely out of line.

And what exactly is it meant to accomplish?
God's will and all. Look, I am a Christian BUT I never understood this argue. They are "God's chosen people". OK fine, if they are God can take care of them. If God is so weak that he can't take care of his own people without me, then I am no longer interested.

God has never instructed me to hate anyone and if he did, I would not listen.

Old 12-20-2018, 04:04 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
It's perfectly legal.

All they are saying is that she, in her capacity as a government employee, not discriminate. It would be similar if a group of Christians had a "boycott products made in Muslim countries" movement going. Government employees are not allowed to discriminate, and they would be required NOT to support a boycott of any country.

That's all it is. She is free to boycott in her personal life.

Old 12-20-2018, 04:10 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,598,716 times
I am a Episcoplian do I have to sign an oath the the Archbishop of Canterbury ?

Old 12-20-2018, 04:28 PM

57,284 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
It's perfectly legal.

All they are saying is that she, in her capacity as a government employee, not discriminate. It would be similar if a group of Christians had a "boycott products made in Muslim countries" movement going. Government employees are not allowed to discriminate, and they would be required NOT to support a boycott of any country.

This is not about her work as a government employee, this extends to her private life. How does a speech pathologist do anything under the sun in her position to aide in a boycott of Israel, this is ridiculous.This has nothing to do with discrimination.

Two states have already lost in the courts so it is not legal, Kansas and Arizona lost next up Texas.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:58 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
It's perfectly legal.

So why does the specifically mention only one nation, Israel, and none other then?

Old 12-20-2018, 09:33 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
It is Texas.

I’ve had the misfortune of living there.

They’re hopeless.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:18 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
This is something the alt-right legislature slipped in
This has to be the worst usage of "alt-right" ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies