Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 08:00 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirlMastic Beach View Post
It is cheaper to just buy two Barbie's or two Ken's than the special edition same sex package deal.
Then you’d have people complaining about incest because they’d look like twins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 08:55 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
Cool.

I'd totally get this for my 4yo daughter if she ever takes interest in Barbies.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:26 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyLouBlvd View Post
It's disgusting
More so if you're second or third in line.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:34 AM

33,322 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
I don’t either. I didn’t know if I liked boys or girls. I remember my barbies though, and my daughter’s, and what she wanted to pretend: Airplane ride “I want to be a stewardess, let’s go to Hawaii!!” I’d play too, create a Big Cat Zoo with her too many 100s of stuffed cats and Barbie the Zookeeper...things to wish for and imitate...how strange and even innappropriate it would have been to shout with glee: “I wanna same sex wife! It’s totally acceptable! Cuz I have choices!”

Just really doesn’t fit the childhood memories.

You just prompted some wonderful family memories to pop into my head.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:42 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Make a Jenny and Ben also. Let the child’s imagination determine the sexual preferences of the dolls.

Old 12-18-2018, 01:09 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
I don’t either. I didn’t know if I liked boys or girls. I remember my barbies though, and my daughter’s, and what she wanted to pretend: Airplane ride “I want to be a stewardess, let’s go to Hawaii!!” I’d play too, create a Big Cat Zoo with her too many 100s of stuffed cats and Barbie the Zookeeper...things to wish for and imitate...how strange and even innappropriate it would have been to shout with glee: “I wanna same sex wife! It’s totally acceptable! Cuz I have choices!”

Just really doesn’t fit the childhood memories.
Your childhood memories, you mean. A lot of kids these days have gay relatives who are not cowering in the closets. They may even have same-sex parents. Their childhood memories will be quite different than yours in this respect. And most likely, they will look back fondly on them, as most of us do.

Old 12-18-2018, 01:13 AM

5,790 posts, read 3,595,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Mattel made Barbie & Ken, not Barbie & JEN.
That's only true from either a theological p.o.v. or a "laws of nature" p.o.v., which not all people will agree with yours on either count. You against homosexuality? Then don't be attracted to someone of your sex/gender.* Beyond theology, it assumes "nature" always gets it right/correct, etc. Equating natural to moral. That's a common flaw in logic called The Naturalistic Fallacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyLouBlvd View Post
It's disgusting
60 years ago, people thought inter-racial (particularly black-white) marriage was disgusting, and look at what happened to that attitude since then. 60 years before that, some people even objected to WASP - S. European marriages. Disgust simply boils down to an aesthetic reaction, and therefore is not a sound basis for scorning something.

Old 12-18-2018, 01:32 AM

4,488 posts, read 1,641,430 times
Who cares about two dolls of the same sex getting married? I had a crush on Ken and his plastic abs back in the day... I hope that doesn’t sound too weird though?

Old 12-18-2018, 01:54 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Mattel made Barbie & Ken, not Barbie & JEN.
So? They could decide to do a catch-up game. I am old enough to remember when African-American kids always had white dolls. I mean, a black doll in a store........Oh yeck! No, no, no!

Oh, but it wasn't not a sin to be black....... Go back and check those churches, and make that protest with a straight face.

Old 12-18-2018, 02:03 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Watching the evening news and saw a same sex couple hoping to meet with Mattel Toy designers to consider adding
same sex couples Barbie Dolls to their wedding sets that may end up on the shelves of many New York toy stores and outlets.

As an old school conservative you would think I'm going to throw rocks at this idea but to many a surprise I'm not against
making toys for all segments of the population. It is only fair. It leaves no one left out. A toy for everybody is after all a happy
thing don't you think?

What's your response ?
Inquisitive minds would like to know.
Does a Barbie and Ken wedding set even exist? Honest question. I've always seen these dolls in stores sold separately. They can marry whomever they want. When I was a kid Barbie routinely married GI Joe. Skipper did too. And I think she was underage. That's a whole other issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies