Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 05:23 PM

374 posts, read 562,133 times

Advertisements

The following diseases have currently been defined by U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) mission requirements for study at the National Bio and Agro-Defense Facility (NBAF):

Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD). Viral disease of domestic and wild cloven-hoofed animals; acute disease characterized by fever, lameness, and vesicular lesions on the feet, tongue, mouth and teats; FMD is considered to be one of the most contagious, infectious diseases known; cost estimates of an introduction of FMD in the U.S. are more than $37 billion.

Classical Swine Fever (CSF). Wild and domestic swine are the only known natural reservoir; widespread throughout the world and has the potential to cause devastating epidemics, particularly in countries free of the disease; any outbreak of CSF would have serious consequences for domestic and international trade of swine and swine products; improved countermeasures are needed.

African Swine Fever (ASF). Infected animals have high mortality rates; effective countermeasures are not available for infected animals; no vaccines are available to prevent infection; no treatment exists for ASF and countermeasures need improvements.

Rift Valley Fever (RVF). Virus affects human beings and cloven-hoofed animals (sheep, goats, cattle, camels, buffalo and deer); suitable countermeasures to respond in the U.S. do not exist; risk for establishment of endemic disease; ranked as a major disease of concern with USDA, DHS, and other stakeholders.

Contagious Bovine Pleuropneumonia (CBPP). Caused by an infective microorganism (Mycoplasma mycoides); primarily affects cattle including European-bred cattle and Zebu; a related form can affect goats; may survive for days in the environment; no treatment available.

Japanese Encephalitis (JE) Virus. Similar to St. Louis encephalitis virus; JE virus is amplified in the blood of domestic pigs and wild birds; the virus can infect humans, most domestic animals, birds, bats, snakes and frogs.

Nipah Virus. Virus was discovered in 1999; causes disease in swine and in humans through contact with infectious animals; mode of transmission between animals and from animals to humans is uncertain (appears to require close contact with infected tissues or body fluids); caused respiratory disease and encephalitis in people in Malaysia and Singapore; no drug therapies have yet been proven to be effective in treating Nipah infection; no countermeasures exist.

Hendra Virus. Formerly called equine morbillivirus; first isolated in 1994; the natural reservoir for Hendra virus is still under investigation; human beings and equines seem to be predominately affected; caused respiratory and neurological disease in horses and humans in Australia.

The NBAF research mission will be based on current pathogen and disease risk assessments, subject to change as threats and risk assessments change.

https://www.dhs.gov/science-and-tech...-staffing-nbaf

CEEZAD is @ the Biosecurity Research Institute, Pat Roberts Hall*, KSU; but only a BSL-3 lab, so IF some new zoonotic (a disease spread between animals and people) emerges, where would that disease be studied? How long would it take to determine the disease is BSL-4 (no treatment, no cure => SOL), could they just take it next door to the BSL-4 NBAF? And, would they tell the public?

The Center Of Excellence For Emerging and Zoonotic Animal Diseases (CEEZAD) was created in 2010 as a lead center for the Department of Homeland Security program on zoonotic and animal disease defense. It was tasked with addressing four pillars of biodefense: threat awareness, vulnerability assessments, surveillance and detection, and response and recovery. Specifically it is designed to conduct research, develop technology and train a specialized workforce to help defend U.S. agricultural systems against agroterrorism and other catastrophic events caused by high-threat transboundary, emerging and zoonotic pathogens.

Mission
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 06:19 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
That next to last post above has several good main points. To the extent that you try to reach the general public, focus on them.

I'd boil it down to:

Wide disagreement on risk level for accidental release of this disease unde study in Kansas from research facility. Initial study revised, perhaps to minimize public concern, properly or not. If it happens, they'd probably kill livestock over a very, very large area. Could you survive that? Will they fully and promptly report a release and compensate fairly and fully in an accident? Would your land values plummet from real danger or just widespread fear of the disease persisting? Probably better to ask questions now than after an accident.

Do your best, feel good about the effort and thanks.

Last edited by NW Crow; 12-19-2018 at 07:02 PM..

Old 12-19-2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
It is lonely and sometimes dangerous being a whistleblower. You've tried the local media and government officials routes. The other options are national environmental groups with previous work in this area... and /or lawsuits by them and / or you if any of your concerns rise to criminal behavior or negligence. Did any Obama era officials show interest / concern?
Before my wife retired from her USF&WS position, she asked that I not use my name when commenting on NBAF in the local newspapers. I used DevilsAdvocate in The Topeka Capital Journal & The Manhattan Mercury. I used Catsap in The Lawrence Journal World, until actual name required. I described "Catsap" as being a sticky substance found on every surface in Manhattan, similar in color to mulberry bird "poop," & impossible to remove from the soles of your shoes. I believe Paul Simon was inspired by Catsap to write "Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes." /sarchasm

The "No NBAF in KS" initially welcomed my input. As I'd worked at Defense Mapping Agency Aerospace Center, I was familiar with how Top Secret government scientists operated. Early on, I stated in public that the KSU Colonels were the most likely to profit from bringing the NBAF to Kansas.

I was surprised to read this just yesterday:

Dr. Jerry Jaax, Olathe, Kansas, retired from K-State in 2016 as the associate vice president for research compliance. In this position he built the university’s multifaceted research compliance program. Additionally, he has published and lectured nationally on bioterrorism, agroterrorism, emerging infectious disease issues, emergency response and research compliance. He also was heavily involved in the successful effort to build K-State’s Biosecurity Research Institute and bring the National Bio and Agro-defense Facility to Manhattan.

K-State Olathe M.S. in Veterinary Biomedical Science, Master of Agribusiness — Animal Health Cohort

NOTE: When I met Col Jerry Jaax (University Veteranarian) after my remarks as the National Academy of Sciences meeting, KSU, January 2012, he came up to me, held out his hand & said DevilsAdvocate?

In my statement before NAS, I'd asked how many in the audience had worked @ a Top Secret - Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility (TS-SCIF), as I raised my hand. (My wife was seated in the back of the room, she said that in addition to Jaax, about 4 others raised theirs.) I then went on to state that the Anthrax Mailer had worked @ USAMRIID (Jaax' lab => I asked him IF I'd pronounced it correctly, he said YES) for 19 years at only a SECRET level of security. That I'd attended the meeting as I thought the subject was "how to identify a bio-terrorist." Something they'd missed @ USAMRIID.

Col Jaax' next told me Dr. Ivins wasn't the Anthrax Mailer. I knew this was his Straw man. I should have responded with Well which other USAMRIID scientist WAS the Anthrax Mailer, & is he already here @ KSU, or will she be working @ the NBAF? I was aware that after DHS/HSSTAC review of Plum Island Animal Disease Center (PIADC) ~ 2007, veterans of USAMRIID had been appointed to head Plum Island.

When Col David R Franz was hired by Midwest Research Institute, I predicted that MRI would be named as the contractor to run the NBAF. He was already on DHS' HSSTAC, Gov. Sebelius' "Bring the NBAF to KS" committee; in charge of KSU's National Agricultural Biosecurity Center; & had been appointed to the KS Bioscience Authority's Executive Board (which approved grants).

I then predicted in 2008 that, although DHS said there were 5 sites in the running for the NBAF, KSU would be the winner (I also knew Army was authorized only 7 veterinarians @ the rank of Colonel; & the fact 3 retired veterinary Colonels had been @ KSU within months of retiring; that there was no "competition" to become the NBAF site, that it was a done deal).

The 46.828-acre NBAF site is on the north end of the KSU main campus. When the Manhattan site was selected in 2009 after a 3-year national competition,

https://www.k-state.edu/nbaf/construction/

Among the members of "No NBAF in KS" were a couple of professors emeritus & a tenured prof. The prof raised concerns over my emails to the group & my predictions (yet to come true). I was aware that KSU Pres. Wefald had threatened retaliation for any faculty stating objections to the NBAF. ONLY ONE TENURED PROF raised objection, with a LTE in the Manhattan Mercury. When I spoke to him on the phone in 2008, he was unaware the Anthrax Mailer's enablers were already @ KSU.

On Sep 8, 2009, I attended a screening of Anthrax War by producer Eric Nadler @ the Manhattan Public Library.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2YzqD-IoJ4

Afterwards, as I was walking out, Kenneth King, author of 'GERMS GONE WILD: HOW THE UNCHECKED DEVELOPMENT OF DOMESTIC BIO-DEFENSE THREATENS AMERICA,' stopped me, urged caution and stated there was a "mole" within "No NBAF in KS."

Obama era => although the thread has been moved to the C-D "Politics and Other Controversies" forum, I've never considered the NBAF as political; there's been no change in government support, whether the president, or Kansas governor, was Democrat or Republican. Not sure what's "controversial" about pointing out the Anthrax Mailer's enablers were behind the NBAF; that it could NOT be run at any level of security other than TS-SCIF; that no pathogen research had ever been conducted at such a scale, safely or otherwise; that Dual Use Research of Concern was the function of the NBAF & might easily be misapplied to do harm.

The leader of "No NBAF in KS" phoned me on several occasions, relating other members' concerns with my views/predictions/boldness. They wanted to approach the NBAF as a "NIMBY" matter. I viewed the NBAF as a "NOT IN MY COUNTRY" matter, that the only logical place to site what I viewed as "Pandora's Box of Pathogens" was to place it on one of the Marshall Islands, some of which you can't get off the plane without a TS-SCI. Sure it'd be expensive; but then DHS says cost estimates of an introduction of FMD in the U.S. are more than $37 billion.

Google "Marshall Islands" "TS-SCI" About 33,200 results

Old 12-19-2018, 07:29 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
You may have chosen the right fight, but you've chosen the wrong place to fight it. A forum isn't your battlefield.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
That next to last post above has several good main points. To the extent that you try to reach the general public, focus on them.

I'd boil it down to:

Wide disagreement on risk level for accidental release of this disease unde study in Kansas from research facility. Initial study revised, perhaps to minimize public concern, properly or not. If it happens, they'd probably kill livestock over a very, very large area. Could you survive that? Will they fully and promptly report a release and compensate fairly and fully in an accident? Would your land values plummet from real danger or just widespread fear of the disease persisting? Probably better to ask questions now than after an accident.

Do your best, feel good about the effort and thanks.
THANX.

The general public here in Manhattan:

The Flint Hills Chapter of the Audubon Society would not take a position on the NBAF. I later realized a long-time member was on the KSU Vet College faculty.

The Riley County Chapter of Kansas Farm Bureau would not take a stand on the NBAF. KS Farm Bureau (headquartered here, & former employer of Sen/Gov Sam Brownback), was all for NBAF.

I've contracted Rocky Mt Spotted Fever twice since I started talking about NBAF. The first time, I can blame on a trip to Boulder. For some reason, I've not been able to send email via my ISP, I have to log onto their website. I stopped attending "No NBAF in KS" meetings, & stopped sending them email. A former member who had worked for KS Farm Bureau, moved out of state & sent me an email asking me to remove her from my mailing list. (Was she the Mole?)

When People's Grocery Cooperative Exchange put up a "No NBAF in KS" billboard over their building, the landlord was inundated with phone calls from other members of the Manhattan Chamber of Commerce. He called the coop & told them to remove the sign, or their lease would be revoked. The billboard "poster" was done for free by thomassignsandgraphicsks.com

When I wore my sunflower yellow "No NBAF in KS" t-shirt to the Manhattan Public Library, the reference librarian told me she had been told not to wear hers to work.

I took a copy of my NBAF LTE to a shoe shop in business here for four generations, & told the owner's wife I'd decided I could no longer patronize Manhattan businesses when I had any alternative, as my taxes were being spent to bring the NBAF to Manhattan. She said she understood, that they were against the NBAF too.

The "leader" of "No NBAF in KS" later ran for mayor. She didn't mention anything about NBAF in her campaign; she ran on a pro-LGBTQ platform (pretty sure she's an L). We still communicate, I send her an email with links every time another of my NBAF predictions comes true.

This fall, I met my new neighbor, started to discuss packrat wiring damage on my truck, he'd had damage on his car & truck; & had trapped 3 rats. I mentioned we intended to move before the NBAF becomes operational (2023). He said he worked @ the Biosecurity Research Institute. As he had WY plates, I said Oh you must be one of the tick scientists (USDA moved that research from Laramie to KSU's BSL-3 BRI). He laughed & said no. His first remark about NBAF: my only fear is that some scientist will get mad . . . I finished his sentence like Ivins @ USAMRIID. He smiled & nodded. Every time I would try to trump him with something I thought was limited knowledge on NBAF (would it be a TS-SCIF; the BRI had to retrain it's masters-level employees in aseptic techniques; DHS had put the BRI on 9 months of secret sanctions => no contracts), he would smile & nod.

My wife has referred to me as the "NBAF Debbie Downer." I prefer to think of myself as One-Trick Pony. I have asked that IF I die here, my obituary shows my home as "Riley County," true as we live ~ 4 blocks outside city limits. IF I have a tombstone, it should read "I told you so . . . NBAF." My actual preference is for my ashes to be spread to the wind atop a Flint Hill overlooking the Kansas River; so that eventually everyone downstream will swallow my ashes via municipal drinking water (Topeka, Lawrence . . . New Orleans). It won't be much, but it won't take much of a release of any NBAF pathogen, either.

I used to be a proud Kansan. I can no longer feel that way. I have a high level of disgust that I still live here. We've considered Wenatchee, WA; a friend in Colorado Springs has advised us not to consider anything on the Front Range. We took a trip to Fort Morgan & Pawnee Nat'l. Grasslands in late Sept. We were turned off by the oil development, my wife said it was much worse than 3 years ago. Now considering Grand Junction. . . thus KSinmyrearviewmirror.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
You may have chosen the right fight, but you've chosen the wrong place to fight it. A forum isn't your battlefield.
I've given up the fight. Just planting Google caches to be found by some future researcher wondering "how in the HECK did they put this thing in Kansas, didn't they imagine what could happen. Did no one speak out?"

On the brighter side, as our 1 acre/house/radon removal/full basement (F4 in 2008 @ NBAF site) is 1.6 miles from the NBAF, paved roads, no street lights, surrounded by KSU agronomy fields/beef production unit (feed yard); the value keeps increasing; the county is turning the 2 lane blacktop into 4, & putting in a 6' wide sidewalk . . . it would be a dream for any researcher to walk to work from here . . . stimulate a bowel movement before donning a containment suit for the day. My only advice to anyone @ the NBAF, don't eat the cafeteria's Friday mystery meat special.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:53 PM

Default IF I were a conspiracy theorist

& wore tin foil hats in windy KS, I might conjecture:

Sen. Pat Roberts, Chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, held up the results of a "thorough and bipartisan review" of Iraqi WMD and ties to terrorist groups in exchange for President Bush placing the NBAF @ his alma mater?

In exchange, Pres. Bush appointed Col. David R. Franz to the newly created DHS Homeland Security Science & Technology Advisory Committee, which found Plum Island Animal Disease Center to be obsolete & not up for a remodel; the 5-site competition was a sham.

I might seek to disparage Col. David R. Franz (this is the first time I've ever posted these items. I have referred to Franz as Dr. Death.)

Turmoil in a Perilous Place - Hartford Courant

Scientists describe lab humiliations

or that his wife was a Russian national when he met her @ Tabor College.

I might draw a comparison to "No penalties allowed" for Commander Franz running the U S Army Medical Research Institute for Infectious Diseases (USAMRIID) at the least possible security level, SECRET; with safety protocols so sloppy the FBI couldn't deduce over 7 years which of the myriad of ways Dr. Bruce Ivins, the Anthrax Mailer, had access to Anthrax vs what the penalties might be for any Air Force Commander who allowed an employee to remove & terrorize the nation with radioactive material. Somewhere out on the WWW there's the fact that Franz was quoted as saying "well 5 people died (from Anthrax mailings), but $6.5billion was put into defense of bio-terrorism."

I might conjecture that there's something far worse than embarrassment at stake in the truth about USAMRIID:

The federal government has agreed to pay $2.5 million to the widow and children of the first person killed in the anthrax letter attacks of 2001, settling a lawsuit claiming that the Army did not adequately secure its supply of the deadly pathogen.

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/30/u...ettlement.html

IF I were a conspiracy theorist, I'd have lost it the day back in 2008 when our phone line went dead for several hours . . . then it rang while I was at the computer, the voice on the other end said oh, it works, sorry I'm with AT&T up here @ K-State doing some repairs. No, I just switched to Vonage.

Remember being asked @ your Doctor's office IF you'd recently been to West Africa? I take pleasure in knowing the ? around Manhattan in the future will be do you work @ the NBAF?

Old 12-20-2018, 01:45 AM

Default I Can Understand Frustration with reading this thread.

Wouldn't it be swell IF I could edit what I know about the NBAF down into a brief paragraph? Instead, I've offered more of a stream of consciousness. Gee, Google says the term =>

a person's thoughts and conscious reactions to events, perceived as a continuous flow. The term was introduced by William James in his Principles of Psychology (1890).
a literary style in which a character's thoughts, feelings, and reactions are depicted in a continuous flow uninterrupted by objective description or conventional dialogue. James Joyce, Virginia Woolf, and Marcel Proust are among its notable early exponents.

I've never read any of those authors. I also never read Kenneth King's 'GERMS GONE WILD: HOW THE UNCHECKED DEVELOPMENT OF DOMESTIC BIO-DEFENSE THREATENS AMERICA.

Why haven't I polished this diatribe, or read King's book? I recall my 9th grade Psych teacher telling about being hit by a car as a pedestrian as a college student the year before. To get past his fear of cars, he placed a chair on the sidewalk in front of his frat house on Hillside ST, across from WSU (aka Hillside High), so he would be level with the cars to stare @ them as they passed by @ 30 mph. (He never said so, but I imagine that was where he was struck by the car.)

Can you imagine going over & over my NBAF steam of consciousness to abbreviate it into something someone else could grasp the magnitude of in the first paragraph? My first reaction to realizing what was going on (Anthrax Mailer's enablers bringing Pandora's Box O'Pathogens home to their native Kansas; knowing that they were responsible for the first act of bio-terrorism on U.S. soil; KSU's Pres. Jon Wefald, couldn't connect the dots between his veterinary alumni & the Anthrax Mailer? That prominent scientists said the NBAF had a 70% probability of leaking Foot & Mouth Disease over 50 years => a Story That Will Not Go Away!

A Short History of the Little Bighorn in 1876 a Story That Will Not Go Away Paperback – 2006by Jon Wefald (Author).

Why did Bill Felber, a native Kansan & editor of The Manhattan Mercury, print propaganda produced by KSU Media Relations, on his Front Page, with bylines by reporters in rotation; emblazoned with the Department of Homeland Security's seal?

The Seal of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security is the symbol of the United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and is used to represent the organization and authenticate certain official documents.

I've had Thanksgiving Dinner with a group of Flint Hills Audubon members, including the guy who worked @ KSU Vet Med, for several years now, without ever raising the topic of NBAF as something NOT to give thanks for?

Every once in a while, as I Googled some NBAF factoid (Franz on HSSTAC), I will discover my findings are in Kenneth King's book. He's someone whose not from Kansas; his ancestors didn't bring the first steam-powered thresher to KS*; how would I feel as I read my discoveries in his book ( 504 pages)? I don't want to know.

Battling a new generation of corporate giants and uncovering threats right in our own backyard, Kenneth King’s Germs Gone Wild reveals the massive expansion of America's bio-defense research labs and the culture of deception surrounding hundreds of facilities that have opened since 9/11. Amazon

Obituary from Mulvane Record Friday April 13, 1900, pg. 1
*[i]Deceased has been a resident of Kansas since 1886 and gained hundreds of friends by his honest dealings and straight forward methods. No state ever had a more loyal and enterprising citizen, no man a more true and steadfast friend than G.L. Howard. By his death this vicinity losses [sic] one of its best men. Rev. Wood conducted funeral services at family home Sunday at 2 p.m., followed by burial at Mulvane cemetery. The funeral procession was one of the largest ever seen here--110 teams.[/I]

Old 12-20-2018, 06:59 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,425,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSinmyrearviewmirror View Post
Wouldn't it be swell IF I could edit what I know about the NBAF down into a brief paragraph? Instead, I've offered more of a stream of consciousness. Gee, Google says the term =>

a person's thoughts and conscious reactions to events, perceived as a continuous flow. The term was introduced by William James in his Principles of Psychology (1890).
a literary style in which a character's thoughts, feelings, and reactions are depicted in a continuous flow uninterrupted by objective description or conventional dialogue. James Joyce, Virginia Woolf, and Marcel Proust are among its notable early exponents.

I've never read any of those authors. I also never read Kenneth King's 'GERMS GONE WILD: HOW THE UNCHECKED DEVELOPMENT OF DOMESTIC BIO-DEFENSE THREATENS AMERICA.

Why haven't I polished this diatribe, or read King's book? I recall my 9th grade Psych teacher telling about being hit by a car as a pedestrian as a college student the year before. To get past his fear of cars, he placed a chair on the sidewalk in front of his frat house on Hillside ST, across from WSU (aka Hillside High), so he would be level with the cars to stare @ them as they passed by @ 30 mph. (He never said so, but I imagine that was where he was struck by the car.)

Can you imagine going over & over my NBAF steam of consciousness to abbreviate it into something someone else could grasp the magnitude of in the first paragraph? My first reaction to realizing what was going on (Anthrax Mailer's enablers bringing Pandora's Box O'Pathogens home to their native Kansas; knowing that they were responsible for the first act of bio-terrorism on U.S. soil; KSU's Pres. Jon Wefald, couldn't connect the dots between his veterinary alumni & the Anthrax Mailer? That prominent scientists said the NBAF had a 70% probability of leaking Foot & Mouth Disease over 50 years => a Story That Will Not Go Away!

A Short History of the Little Bighorn in 1876 a Story That Will Not Go Away Paperback – 2006by Jon Wefald (Author).

Why did Bill Felber, a native Kansan & editor of The Manhattan Mercury, print propaganda produced by KSU Media Relations, on his Front Page, with bylines by reporters in rotation; emblazoned with the Department of Homeland Security's seal?

The Seal of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security is the symbol of the United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and is used to represent the organization and authenticate certain official documents.

I've had Thanksgiving Dinner with a group of Flint Hills Audubon members, including the guy who worked @ KSU Vet Med, for several years now, without ever raising the topic of NBAF as something NOT to give thanks for?

Every once in a while, as I Googled some NBAF factoid (Franz on HSSTAC), I will discover my findings are in Kenneth King's book. He's someone whose not from Kansas; his ancestors didn't bring the first steam-powered thresher to KS*; how would I feel as I read my discoveries in his book ( 504 pages)? I don't want to know.

Battling a new generation of corporate giants and uncovering threats right in our own backyard, Kenneth King’s Germs Gone Wild reveals the massive expansion of America's bio-defense research labs and the culture of deception surrounding hundreds of facilities that have opened since 9/11. Amazon

Obituary from Mulvane Record Friday April 13, 1900, pg. 1
*[i]Deceased has been a resident of Kansas since 1886 and gained hundreds of friends by his honest dealings and straight forward methods. No state ever had a more loyal and enterprising citizen, no man a more true and steadfast friend than G.L. Howard. By his death this vicinity losses [sic] one of its best men. Rev. Wood conducted funeral services at family home Sunday at 2 p.m., followed by burial at Mulvane cemetery. The funeral procession was one of the largest ever seen here--110 teams.[/I]

Out of curiosity, what does research into the FMD lead?

As in, besides the threat to the local area, what is the goal of the research?

Old 12-20-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Out of curiosity, what does research into the FMD lead?

As in, besides the threat to the local area*, what is the goal of the research?
*Upthread is the DHS estimate of $37billion in damages from a FMD epidemic to the US livestock industry.

RESEARCH INTO A NEW MARKETABLE ANTHRAX VACCINE; public vaccinations would be mandated by US Secretary of Health and Human Services. See:

02/29/06 "The Tennessean" --- -- WASHINGTON — Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist and House Speaker Dennis Hastert engineered a backroom legislative maneuver to protect pharmaceutical companies from lawsuits, say witnesses to the pre-Christmas power play. . . . Trial lawyers and other groups condemn the law, saying it could make it nearly impossible for people harmed by a vaccine to force the drug maker to pay for their injuries.

^^^ Cliff Notes (stream of consciousness, BELOW)

In 1999, with the Colonels on board, Dr. Jon Wefald, President of Kansas State University, told the Senate subcommittee during the Congressional hearing on bioterrorism threats to American agriculture.

There are many reasons to believe that terrorists and extremist groups might prefer to use agricultural biological weapons against the United States rather than to mount another attack targeting people in American cities. First, the technology involved is far less sophisticated, and there is much less risk to the individuals developing the biological agents, (i.e. it’s easier and safer for the perpetrator). In military jargon, food animals in the U.S. represent soft targets since they are largely unprotected, vulnerable to attack, and there is reduced risk of any act of retaliation. There are also fewer ethical issues for those who might hesitate to kill people randomly and indiscriminately. This last matter may not be an issue for hard-core terrorists, but it might influence domestic radical groups committed to disrupting America’s livestock industry. “One vial containing pathogens for foot-and-mouth, bovine tuberculosis, or cowpox could be devastating. The vision of National Guard troops having to machine-gun tens of thousands of diseased cattle in Kansas’ feedlots doesn’t present a pretty picture,”

Following the Anthrax mailings over the course of several weeks beginning on September 18, 2001, one week after the September 11 attacks; our intrepid heroes renewed their push to have the government establish a National Bio and Agro-defense Facility.

With the establishment of DHS on November 25, 2002, & Pres. Bush's appointment of retired USAMRIID Commander David R. Franz to the HSSTAC; the KSU colonels could sense an opportunity for bioweapons DEFENSE researchers to escape the annual budget competition @ USAMRIID for Army $$$. With the promising (fabricated) threat of Saddam Hussein's WMD program bioweapons + microbiologist Ms. Rihab Rashid Taha al-Azawi, an Iraqi microbiologist, dubbed Dr. Germ by United Nations weapons inspectors.

Wiki says:

Taha first rose to prominence in the Western media after being named in a 2003 British intelligence dossier, released to the public by Prime Minister Tony Blair, on Iraq's biological, chemical and nuclear capability. The dossier alleged that Taha had played a leading role in the manufacture of anthrax and other biological agents.[4] It was this dossier that triggered the chain of events that led to the death of British UN weapons inspector David Kelly, who was accused of telling a BBC reporter that some of the intelligence had been manipulated. Dr. Kelly, as an UNSCOM weapons inspector visiting Iraq on the occasions described below, had interrogated Dr. Taha so pitilessly that she was "reduced to tears"

Preying upon public fears, the Anthrax Mailer, & newly minted DHS Billions, KSU's "university veterinarian" began what I refer to as the "NBAF Dog & Pony Show." Early on, Jaax would describe the need for farmers to "see something? say something" by being on the lookout for turbaned crop duster pilots. I never attended an "NBAF Dog & Pony Show," but I followed newspaper accounts, i.e.: Col. Jaax making an appearance before a park rangers national convention in Seattle, ~ 2008, on my tax $$$ dime.

I believe Jaax dropped his reference to turbaned crop duster pilots soon after I/DevilsAdocate coined the term "NBAF Dog & Pony Show" on the public comment boards of The Topeka Capital Journal & Manhattan Mercury. Perhaps he realized some Kansans might view his terminology as politically incorrect? That was certainly how I intended to depict his theatrical performances.

Biological WMD => bio-terrorism & Defense requires sophisticated equipment in a biocontainment facility (USAMRIID); big money (DHS); subject matter experts (Irag had one, Taha**) willing to do the work (USAMRIID had one, too => Dr. Bruce E. Ivins.

**Taha was No. 197 on Central Command's most-wanted list. Further WMD searches would find that Taha was mostly pulling Sadaam's leg on her bioweapons research.

'Dr. Germ,' 'Mrs. Anthrax' Released From Prison" Dec 20th, 2005
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies