Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 10:52 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
There is nothing secularized about Christmas at all.
So....Santa isn't a secularized part of Christmas, as one example? It's gone wayyyyy beyond St. Nicholas with all the stuff about reindeer and elves and naughty lists and dumb Elf on the Shelf, etc. Not a shred of secularism there?

Old 12-19-2018, 11:51 AM

1,261 posts, read 567,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
So....Santa isn't a secularized part of Christmas, as one example? It's gone wayyyyy beyond St. Nicholas with all the stuff about reindeer and elves and naughty lists and dumb Elf on the Shelf, etc. Not a shred of secularism there?
Jesus loved animals.... lambs, donkeys, etc.

Eld, Reindeer still part of Santa (St. Nick).. big deal

Old 12-19-2018, 11:53 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
And so it begins...the erstwhile "War on Christmas" panic by the usual suspects.

And I see the OP is just full of the love of Jesus as usual.

Seems to me that the only people who are miserable this time of year are the "Christians" with a persecution complex.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:57 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
I read the Bible daily, usually in the NIV, NKJV, NLT translations. In fact, the different translations enhances my understanding of the message.
You're obviously missing the message.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:18 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,225,728 times
Funny how I never hear Jewish people complaining about a "war on Hanukkah", when there actually was one.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:23 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times
Quote:
In truth, there is only ONE version of the BIBLE available.

King James Version & New King James Version & New International Version & English Standard Version, etc. Aren’t these all different versions of the Bible?

Actually No.These are not different versions. These are different TRANSLATIONS! of the original bible.

These are examples of different English translations of the Bible. Not different versions. Different translations of the same message.

Why the need for so many different translations then?

Good question. The first English Bible uses old English, and some words are no longer common usage in our daily language.

For example: The New King James Version for example, simplifies the English for a more modern reading, substituting “Thou” with “You”. The message remains intact but the translation makes it easier to read and understand.

What about the other versions…I mean…. translations… like New International Version?

That’s just another English translation that tells the same message in a way that is easy for most people to understand. There’s even a translation for those for whom English is their second language using limited vocabulary where the message of the Bible is told in very simple English! The goal is simply to communicate the message of the truth of the Word of God.

Nothing is changed or corrupted in the actual message. It’s making the Word of God available for everyone to read in the language they understand.

The message of the Bible is the same in whatever translation you use. The only difference is there are different means of communicating that message. For example, the words I use to share a message with you, will be different from the words I use to share that same message with a child. It will also be different from the way I share that same message with my wife, with a stranger, with someone who does not speak English, with someone who is deaf, and so on. The words used may be different but the message remains the same. That is why there are different translations to cater for everyone.

I read the Bible daily, usually in the NIV, NKJV, NLT translations. In fact, the different translations enhances my understanding of the message.
I'm curious about you. If you don't mind answering.....

1) Are you an Evangelical Christian who sees converting Jews as a positive goal?
2) Did you grow up in NY/NJ where there are a lot of Jews, or elsewhere where there were few?
3) Do you consider yourself a liberal or conservative?

Old 12-19-2018, 02:25 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,549,026 times
Quote:
https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...fer-ncna942496

As usual I was right....

An article about a Jewish girl complaining that Christmas is being everywhere in their face once they walk outside the door. I guess she doesn’t realize that Christmas is a national holiday celebrated by over 90% of Americans. Of course she wanted to challenge the holiday too by complaining to local newspapers and officials saying that Christmas is unconstitutional (obviously it isn’t). No shock.

Diversity is so great that minorities think they are perfectly fine by insulting and attacking the majority

Reading the article makes my blood boil!
Well keep smacking yourself because if you think present day Christmas has anything to do with Christ you need an awakening. Further, as a non-religious person of any kind I am also weary of the in your face Hallmark holidays that impose expectations on people that couldn't care less about the holiday.

Frankly, if we are going to celebrate so-called Christian holidays, then I think we should also celebrate all the holidays of all our populace religions.

What we have here is raw, callous retail marketing pushing a ever increasingly poor populace into buying crap they don't need with money they don't have, to fill our landfills all too soon.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:26 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,094,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Funny how I never hear Jewish people complaining about a "war on Hanukkah", when there actually was one.
This is rep-tacular!

Old 12-19-2018, 02:27 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,094,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Well keep smacking yourself because if you think present day Christmas has anything to do with Christ you need an awakening. Further, as a non-religious person of any kind I am also weary of the in your face Hallmark holidays that impose expectations on people that couldn't care less about the holiday.

Frankly, if we are going to celebrate so-called Christian holidays, then I think we should also celebrate all the holidays of all our populace religions.

What we have here is raw, callous retail marketing pushing a ever increasingly poor populace into buying crap they don't need with money they don't have, to fill our landfills all too soon.
Bless you. Amen and merry effin xmas.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:02 PM

1,261 posts, read 567,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
What ‘War on Hanukkah’ is there?! You see menorahs in many places, including in banks, many government offices, public parks, etc. despite Jews being only 2% of the US population. Hanukkah is known by virtually everyone nationwide and is shoved down in our throats. In banks and public places people are in fear of placing only Christmas decorations without having to include menorahs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies