Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2018, 07:44 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,593,098 times

Advertisements

Having been involved in online communities since 1986, this is something that has been evident for a couple of years. The Election fraud and other abuses (privacy) combined with the natural incivility of people to others they don't know has put the final nails in the coffin.

I think most people would agree that this is a trend. But what is the end game?

Will the "cure" be better than the disease? Or will people start thinking more and becoming more civil and sane?

Here is just one article on it. However, this is considered a fait accompli by many in the know. I just met this week with a group that wants to pick some of Facebooks' bones...there are 100's of companies and individuals looking to peel off FB users as they leave en masse.

https://medium.com/futuresin/2018-is...it-1e5658f41a5

"Thus the entire “social media” business model was not just hijacked but basically led nowhere for Western consumers. It was an Advertising fraud, if you will. A digital dead end."

"The decline in Facebook usage is a symbol of a corrupt internet. Google, Facebook, Microsoft and Amazon now have employee camps and internal discontent to worry about. We went from over-sharing to over-consuming to not caring at all. Many of us have or will soon break-up with social media and our favorite apps. In fact “social-sharing” has been declining for quite some time, probably since 2016 in the West."

I was never into Facebook as anything other than a place to meet long lost friends and relatives - although I did have a "page" for a web site I administered. No doubt they provided inexpensive ads, but that's not the name of the long term game.

So, if we come back here in two years - what news sources are the FB Refugees going to be using? Will they be switching to various forums (like C-D?), which were what the deal was before "social media #2 or #3"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 07:49 AM

1,874 posts, read 811,397 times
social media will break off into liberal and conservative factions. you are already seeing it with sites like gab.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:55 AM

25,777 posts, read 16,394,630 times
I personally like twitter better than FB. The ONLY thing I use FB for is sharing grandchildren pictures and videos and uploading pictures and videos to a private album that they still provide for free which is amazing.

I follow a select few on twitter but make an effort to follow at least as many left leaning people that I respect as right leaning. James Woods is hands down the most intelligent follow there is.

The future? I don't know. Most newspapers had to shut down their comments sections because of trolls.

The ONLY way to prevent social media trolls from influencing elections is to demand an educated voter. Shut down all political ads because they are just attacks on opposing candidates. The nations sponsors and administers public debates that are also televised. That is where the voter has to learn about the candidate and what they stand for. Require an ID and a short quiz that proves the voter knows something about the candidates and the issues or they don't get a ballot.

Sorry for going off topic a little.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:09 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,761,018 times
If you look at FB usage by age, it plummets to single digits for people under 18. Teenagers use Instagram, Snapchat, and Pinterest and they are growing. FB owns Instagram so while their flagship property will fade, FB, or whatever they call themselves a decade from now, and their data mining capabilities will keep them going into the future.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:12 AM

31,341 posts, read 14,122,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I personally like twitter better than FB. The ONLY thing I use FB for is sharing grandchildren pictures and videos and uploading pictures and videos to a private album that they still provide for free which is amazing.

I follow a select few on twitter but make an effort to follow at least as many left leaning people that I respect as right leaning. James Woods is hands down the most intelligent follow there is.

The future? I don't know. Most newspapers had to shut down their comments sections because of trolls.

The ONLY way to prevent social media trolls from influencing elections is to demand an educated voter. Shut down all political ads because they are just attacks on opposing candidates. The nations sponsors and administers public debates that are also televised. That is where the voter has to learn about the candidate and what they stand for. Require an ID and a short quiz that proves the voter knows something about the candidates and the issues or they don't get a ballot.

Sorry for going off topic a little.
I'm with you on an educated voter but you've got a better chance of seeing pigs fly than you do of this item happening. The democrats would lose many, many, many, many, many votes under this plan. You can bet that they would fight tooth and nail against it.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:12 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,858,265 times
Yeah Facebook and Twitter were suppose to go the way of My Space and Tumblr years ago.

Any day now.

Baby Boomers love their Facebook -- even as they complain about it.

I have a 30 year old, 28 year old and 21 year old. They use private message groups to do their business. Have little to no interest in sharing with the rest of us -- even the family stuff. All guys -- little to no Instagram, Twitter or Facebook -- and even snap chat is getting old.

It's all for us old folks and marketing.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:37 AM

5,787 posts, read 3,570,740 times
Perhaps the old will become new. But at a price.

The price is less mass-awareness of any new social media platform out there, but in return there is greater potential for "better" moderation standards.

This forum, an astronomy and space forum, has very strict posting standards and equally strict and swift enforcement of those standards. Things that are no big deal on C-D will quickly get you warned or even temp-banned on that forum. And this goes for even several posts by the more polite and considerate people I know here in P&OC. Even I barely escaped a warning by publicly conceding (before a mod arrived) that I posted an inappropriate topic on that forum.

Besides ideological lines, mass social media will also split on moderation standard lines. Of course there'll be plenty of platforms that will have some ideological diversity, but some more so than others.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:37 AM

36,857 posts, read 17,250,671 times
The evil Russians strike again!

Old 12-18-2018, 09:41 AM

1,874 posts, read 811,397 times
and just a word of advice, never use your own identity on sm. always use burner accounts.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:43 AM

16,950 posts, read 12,503,876 times
Simple.

I keep politics out of my Facebook. Hobbies, family friends, local goings on. It is great for that.

My extent of twitter is the feed we get from church for weather cancellations.

Dont have snapchat etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies