Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Democrats.....Whats more important to you?
Border Security 10 24.39%
Impeaching Trump 31 75.61%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 05:36 PM

1,733 posts, read 948,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
A better question would be to ask them why they're so dead set against a wall?

They'll tell you it's a waste of money.

(As if they ever cared about fiscal responsibility)

They'll tell you that it won't work.

(Despite evidence to the contrary where physical barriers already exist)

But the real reason that Democrats howl with feigned righteous indignation anytime anyone even mentions a border security....

(Despite many of them, including Obama and Schumer voting to authorize a wall in 2006)

Is just to spite Trump.

(That and they're afraid it might actually work)

Because even though a wall isn't 100% foolproof, nor is it the single be-all and end-all of border security....

It is, however a huge symbolic statement of policy.

A giant "KEEP OUT" sign so to speak.

And unlike other border security measures that can be easily reversed by future administrations with the stroke of a pen.......

A wall would have to be physically torn down.....

And the optics of tearing down the wall once it's up would be a signal confirming what we already know about the Left, no matter how much they try to deny it.

They want Defacto open borders if not actual open borders.

Bingo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 05:40 PM

1,733 posts, read 948,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
As I live in a county that went 69% for Trump, in a state that went 60% for trump, you would make a lot of your fellow Trump supporters very unhappy.

Lol, well great then. Adding 41,000+ illegals to the population every month may even turn staunch open borders supporters in your town to vote for Trump in 2020.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:40 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
I prefer neither the wall nor impeachment. My preference is for Trump to serve out his term and to be soundly defeated in his bid for reelection and for border security to be assured through other means. The wall is a boondoggle.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:55 PM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,661,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder View Post
Lol, well great then. Adding 41,000+ illegals to the population every month may even turn staunch open borders supporters in your town to vote for Trump in 2020.
Just out of curiosity, how exactly do you manage to make the leap from someone not being in favor of the wall to them being a staunch open border supporter?

Isn't that just a bit of over the top rhetoric?

Old 12-18-2018, 05:56 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I prefer neither the wall nor impeachment. My preference is for Trump to serve out his term and to be soundly defeated in his bid for reelection and for border security to be assured through other means. The wall is a boondoggle.
Same here. I couldn't vote in the poll as neither choice represents my views. I am a Democrat, and I support border security but not the wall. It would be a huge waste of money no matter who pays for it. All that will accomplish is that desperate people trying to cross the border will figure out a way to tunnel underneath it.

As for Trump and impeachment, I would rather not see that happen. Better to let him serve out his term while progressives look for a candidate strong enough to win both the electoral and popular votes.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:00 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Democrats.....Whats more important to you?

Border Security (Building the wall)

or

Impeaching Trump
Wow. You really haven't been paying attention.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:06 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Again, define what you mean by "open borders." And what actions are you referring to? I have asked these questions before and no one on the right has come up with a reply.

I don't mean to speak for the person that you were responding to....

But basically, there are two types of "open borders".

One is actual physically open borders with no enforcement whatsoever.

Not many people advocate such a thing, at least not openly, because it would obviously be political suicide.

The other is Defacto open borders, which is what the Left is generally in favor of.

If you argue against strict immigration enforcement (the "they just want a better life" argument).

If you are in favor of sanctuary cities....

If you favor DACA.

If you are against mandatory e-verify.

If you are against voter ID laws

If you favor giving illegals drivers licenses.

If you want birthright citizenship under any circumstances.

If you want to abolish ICE.

If you use the term "undocumented immigrants" and purposely conflate legal and illegal immigration......

Then you are advocating Defacto open borders.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:06 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,141,179 times
As I've been saying, border security is a NON-ISSUE. It's not even on my list of the dozen things that most concern me. It's just something that the GOP glommed onto just to distract people from what's important, trying to whip up their paranoia.

However, I'm not sure I want Trump impeached. I'm starting to think that I'd rather have the entire election invalidated.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:25 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
The Dems care only about having enough pacifiers in their mouths, to get through the long, cold nights. I would like to see them go 10 minutes without turning into cry baby marshmallows

Old 12-18-2018, 06:27 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,694,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post

A better question would be to ask them why they're so dead set against a wall?

They'll tell you it's a waste of money.

(As if they ever cared about fiscal responsibility)

They'll tell you that it won't work.

(Despite evidence to the contrary where physical barriers already exist)

But the real reason that Democrats howl with feigned righteous indignation anytime anyone even mentions a border security....

(Despite many of them, including Obama and Schumer voting to authorize a wall in 2006)

Is just to spite Trump.

(That and they're afraid it might actually work)

Because even though a wall isn't 100% foolproof, nor is it the single be-all and end-all of border security....

It is, however a huge symbolic statement of policy.

A giant "KEEP OUT" sign so to speak.

And unlike other border security measures that can be easily reversed by future administrations with the stroke of a pen.......

A wall would have to be physically torn down.....

And the optics of tearing down the wall once it's up would be a signal confirming what we already know about the Left, no matter how much they try to deny it.

They want Defacto open borders if not actual open borders.

"The question shouldn’t be about the dollar cost of the wall. It should be about the validity of the wall."

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/trum...a-statistician

Re your $25 billion "symbolic statement", I'll make a KEEP OUT! sign for $10. I'll even make it in Spanish, - PROHIBIDA LA ENTRADA! - that will be just as effective as your wall. People and drugs go over walls (planes), around walls (boats), and under walls (tunnels). Drugs have even been transported in submarines. We need to be as creative as the cartels, but wasting money on a wall would just give some Americans a false sense of security.

ETA: Has anyone here thought about the Maginot Line, and then chuckled?

Last edited by JustPassinThru; 12-18-2018 at 06:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies