Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 06:54 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Police falsely accuse PLENTY of people of crimes as well...

Eventually someone will turn the tables on them.
You are absolutely obsessed with drug policy and the police. Have a criminal drug history you'd like to share with us that makes you so bitter?

Old 12-21-2018, 07:09 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,626 posts, read 17,961,729 times
This should happen to the woman in the current Baylor case, IMHO. It appears she made up almost everything, and there's no evidence he actually did have sex with her. The rest, the embellishments, are known to be false even by the prosecutor.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/lo.../269-623641971

Old 12-21-2018, 07:33 AM

702 posts, read 540,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Police falsely accuse PLENTY of people of crimes as well...

Eventually someone will turn the tables on them.

Yeah, I'm kind of torn on this. On one hand we don't want to encourage false accusations, but on the other hand she did manage to get a dangerous cop off the street for several months.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:05 AM

1,316 posts, read 748,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Woman charged in

What a disgrace this woman is.

Sadly, I fear a major increase in such action under our new and sick cultural norm that all female (and, let's be serious, this only applies to female accusers against male accused) "victims" are to be believed. I wonder if actual due diligence would have exposed this woman for the deranged crook that she is.

False accusations are a terrible thing. I don't think anyone would deny that. Nobody, NOBODY, really believes that every accusation leveled at everyone is true. But when an accusation is made, it needs to be treated seriously in the event that it is true. Certainly, false accusation should be treated seriously as well. We need to do a better job on both sides.

Also understand that for ages, women have been subject to treatment that is unjust. There are still laws protecting the rights of men who assault women--think of those states that allow a rapist to gain custody rights. That's incomprehensible to me, and to a lot of people, men & women alike. So maybe this pendulum swing is going far enough to make things muddy. We need to find equilibrium, not swing all the way to the other side again. It's not so black & white, as so many of you want it to be.

So, to recap:
False accusations=bad
Accusations not taken seriously=bad

Old 12-21-2018, 08:40 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
The sentence for filing a false statement, especially when it comes to sex crimes, should be at least 3.5 years and the person serves the full term.
It should be 2X the maximum sentence the person accused of the sexual assault could have been sentenced for.

Old 12-21-2018, 05:21 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
False accusations are a terrible thing. I don't think anyone would deny that. Nobody, NOBODY, really believes that every accusation leveled at everyone is true. But when an accusation is made, it needs to be treated seriously in the event that it is true. Certainly, false accusation should be treated seriously as well. We need to do a better job on both sides.

Also understand that for ages, women have been subject to treatment that is unjust. There are still laws protecting the rights of men who assault women--think of those states that allow a rapist to gain custody rights. That's incomprehensible to me, and to a lot of people, men & women alike. So maybe this pendulum swing is going far enough to make things muddy. We need to find equilibrium, not swing all the way to the other side again. It's not so black & white, as so many of you want it to be.

So, to recap:
False accusations=bad
Accusations not taken seriously=bad
I don't disagree that accusations need to be taken seriously. But so do denials of wrongdoing, especially when they come from people who have sworn a legal oath to be law-abiding; yes, police officers are and should be treated differently from the rest of the general population.

If the evidence is shown to prove the accusations, throw the book at whoever the wrongdoer is.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:30 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack2000 View Post
Yeah, I'm kind of torn on this. On one hand we don't want to encourage false accusations, but on the other hand she did manage to get a dangerous cop off the street for several months.
But how was this police chief dangerous though, unless I missed something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies