Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 01:01 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Not against it I think having more border agents is the key it means jobs for Americans, sure some will always get in even with a wall. But having more border agents there would help in would put money in the pockets of Americans who need to work. The wall is a waste of money.

The wall is the only type of border security that can't be easily reversed with the stroke of a pen by future administrations.

Which is exactly why Dems are against it.

That and to spite Trump of course.

Old 12-21-2018, 01:06 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,574,791 times
10 to 12 million would only build like 50 to 300 feet There is no way in hell they get any where close to 100mill. They would need to raise a min of 25billion and there is not enough stupid people in America to donate.

Old 12-21-2018, 01:23 PM

1,316 posts, read 748,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
The wall is the only type of border security that can't be easily reversed with the stroke of a pen by future administrations.

Which is exactly why Dems are against it.

That and to spite Trump of course.

You could try considering that it isn't spite. Perhaps it's more about focusing on a wall without a comprehensive immigration reform to go along with it. There is more that needs to be done--a wall isn't going to fix ANYTHING in the long-term. It won't solve the problems that already exist. So before we unload all of this money on it, some of us would like to address some of the attached issues. THAT'S not spite. Spite is saying, "I'll just shut the whole government down if I don't get what I want." Seriously, that's the definition of spite right there.

Old 12-21-2018, 01:23 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Will note though, not sure how the money will get to "the government."

As someone who has worked in government contracting projects, including large construction projects, the funds usually come from specific budgets to a particular agency.

Not sure how whatever agency that will be tasked with overseeing this project will get the money or if there is any sort of legalities/policies/procedures at play that limit people just "donating" money to a particular government agency.

This doesn't seem well thought out, but I can admire the drive.

Will note as well that even getting all the money doesn't mean it will get built. For all these folks know their "donated" money, if given to a government agency/department/budgetary line item, will be divided to support whatever other project Congress thinks is more important. Now THAT would be funny!!

ETA: That the example in this piece of the Washington Monument being repaired by a donation - that donation was to the National Park Foundation - which is not a governmental agency - it is a non-profit that overseas the Mall on Washington.

This sort of public works project, it is something to think about in regards to who will the donation be made to. Honestly I think it will be made to the person who started the GoFundMe or get tied up in court.
You didn't read through the thread. They are working on the legalities through lawyers to make sure it legally goes to only that. If it can't be done all money will be reimbursed back to the donors.

Old 12-21-2018, 01:24 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
It's so refreshing to see the Left side of our country so not into protecting our borders. I always knew they were jerkoffs

Old 12-21-2018, 01:54 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
"Most successful"? It is only at 1% of goal.

Old 12-21-2018, 01:59 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
"Most successful"? It is only at 1% of goal.
This cracked me up - -lol.

Well when you put in those terms -- maybe not.....LOL...

Wouldn't the most successful be the one that met the goal in the shortest amt. of time or exceeded the goal....something like that.

LOL.

It's a Trump record for sure --- 1% of goal and it's a winner -- LOL.

Old 12-21-2018, 01:59 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Leftists are terrified of this. It shows the widespread support that Real America has for Trump. The conjured reality of the MSM doesn't exist.

So they are left with nothing more than making comments about deplorables while looking at their navels.

Old 12-21-2018, 02:28 PM

25,734 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Leftists are terrified of this. It shows the widespread support that Real America has for Trump. The conjured reality of the MSM doesn't exist.

So they are left with nothing more than making comments about deplorables while looking at their navels.
I totally agree with you. I have not the left this scared since the rise of the Tea Party. They are also scared about the gov't shutdown, because the majority of American's want the border to be enforced...via by wall or any other means.

The Dems are going to lose this battle in the majority of American voters' minds eye.

Trump should call a very long press conference, and start providing all the stats about how illegal immigration is harming Americans. While he's speaking, I'd have a running caption of faces of American citizens murdered by illegals scrolling across the bottom...the entire time. he must pound home that this is a matter of national security so when he uses the military to build the wall, he'll have the majority of American's behind him.

Old 12-21-2018, 02:32 PM

25,734 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Govt can accept gifts, but when it comes with strings attached like this, it has to go through special Congressional approval. The reason is obviois enough: you don't want money from who knows what kind of private sources coming in to influence policies of government agencies.
yeah...like the lobbyists do, and SuperPacs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies