Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 06:47 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Can you imagine an American President using people's lives as a bargaining tool?

That's disgusting.

DACA should not be piggy backed onto any bill.

It should be dealt with.

I do believe that if Trump dealt with DACA and resolved this issue, there would be less resistance his wall monument he wants to build.
You're funny. The Dems ALWAYS play politics with people's lives and use them as a bargaining tool and are doing it now again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 06:47 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
For most issues, a normal majority (51 Senators, or 50% with the Vice President breaking the tie) is needed in the Senate to pass a bill. If the bill has already been passed by the House, it then goes to the President's desk, and if he signs it, it becomes law.

But a quirk in Senate rules lets the minority declare a Filibuster, automatically defeating a bill favored by the majority.
I'm okay with this.

Old 12-21-2018, 06:54 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,845 times
Dear Leader is on the record as owning the shutdown. That’s enough for me.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:00 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
That's rich, given that the US Senate is the antithesis of democracy and majority rule.

(ie: a tiny state like Rhode island gets the same representation as California or Texas).
This is one of the biggest issues for me. Our founding fathers did their best at the time (over 200 years ago), but some things need to be changed.

The fact that a state like Rhode Island or Montana (both with barely 1 million people) get the exact same representation as states like California (37,000,000) or Texas (28,000,000) blows my mind. That is absolute craziness.

And Good on ya for choosing both blue and red states, to make sure this is a bipartisan issue. Vermont & Montana blue & red (tiny states), California & Texas are blue & red (enormous states).

Old 12-21-2018, 07:00 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
That's rich, given that the US Senate is the antithesis of democracy and majority rule.

(ie: a tiny state like Rhode island gets the same representation as California or Texas).
The house represents the people
The senate represents the states
The President represents the nation

Learn how it works.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:03 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
You are the one whining here.

I know you are, but what am I !

Old 12-21-2018, 07:07 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,597,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I know you are, but what am I !

thats cute...if you are like 10 years old or your name is Pee Wee.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:33 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Your lack of rational thinking is clearly visible in this post.

Because many don't believe that a physical wallwill be the most effective way to deal with immigration (your 90 percent number is made up -- just made up).....and that money can be better spent to deal with this issue.

Visa overstays reportedly outnumber illegal crossings.

Why not start there?

Your lack of knowledge is clearly visible in your response.

First, the 90% number was a conservative number. Israel has stopped 99% with their wall. No reason to think that we wouldn't see close to that degree of success as well.

Second, the VISA overstays are not causing the most problems. These are mostly educated people who are self-supporting. The illegals are the ones who are poor, uneducated, unskilled, reliant on American taxpayers to help feed their kids, and lowering the caliber of the public schools.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:42 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Second, the VISA overstays are not causing the most problems. These are mostly educated people who are self-supporting. The illegals are the ones who are poor, uneducated, unskilled, reliant on American taxpayers to help feed their kids, and lowering the caliber of the public schools.
This is by far the stupidest comment I have read on this forum in quite some time. Legality is based on actually acting within the laws not economic or educational class. There are plenty of wealthy folks within the US illegally and poor people who have followed every rule. Heck- look how well the 9/11 hijackers were funded...

Also- illegals are not eligible for government assistance.

If you want to close the borders we need to do it uniformly.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:51 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,654,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It's not over. It's just possible that there are a handful of Dems in the senate that actually care about American citizens and will vote for their safety and security. I would like to think that there are at least SOME Dems that will put Americans above their party's blind hatred of Trump and break with the efforts of Schumer to harm this nation.
Do modern prisons have fences or walls? (they have fences)
Does Fort Knox have a fence or a wall? (it has a fence)

"Fences are much cheaper than walls. Fences also allow for the use of advanced technology such as motion sensors, electrified fencing on maximum security facilities, and special tines or wire such as razor. It's also easier to see what's going on around fencing on both sides, allows for multiple layers of security, and reduces blind spots as walls required multiple tower locations."
https://www.quora.com/Why-do-prisons...stead-of-walls

And do democratic countries have fences or walls? (they have fences, dictator run countries have walls.)

A boarder fence is cheaper, allows for the use of modern technology, and allows for multiple layers of security. A wall is more expensive, its old technology, inhibits advanced surveillance methods, and it imitates the behavior of a dictator run country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies