Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 05:18 PM

35,672 posts, read 21,030,020 times

Advertisements

[quote=WannaliveinGreenville;53950649]Larry should put in for a vacation time so he does not miss pay. Bruce should enjoy his time off and hopefully he has a little $$ socked away for times like this. I hope they get back to work soon-

I think they should all go to Fla -from the Fed prison guards to TSA, CBP, Secret Service, DHS , traffic control etc. Bet they agree quickly if none showed up for work. Even so most at work are watching Netflix on their phones - there’s no funding to get much done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 05:30 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
This looks like another thread started by OnLeave or the many other account names he/she has created related to the government shutdown/furlough. To answer the question- I don't think essential workers should be paid extra. It is one of the things that comes with the territory of being a federal government worker. I do feel bad for both the essential and non-essential workers though. They have become pawns in the political games of Congress. It's not fair to them, but there are negative aspects of all careers, and unfortunately for federal government workers, the new normal of having to constantly deal with shutdowns has become the thorn of a once comfortable job/career.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:28 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
No. Take an honest job that doesnt require others be robbed in order to get paid.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:06 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,077,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
No. Take an honest job that doesnt require others be robbed in order to get paid.
Who is getting “robbed”? You are just another one who must have tried to get hired but was not selected.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:13 AM

5,277 posts, read 2,798,262 times
Isn't the total salary of all these people who are not working but will eventually be paid is much bigger than the cost of this stupid wall.

So Americans are paying all these wages and getting no work in return.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:05 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
Who is getting “robbed”? You are just another one who must have tried to get hired but was not selected.
This is the heart of why I think many people have been unsympathetic to federal government workers, and kicking them while they are down during shutdowns. Prior to the recent frequent shutdowns/shutdown threats every 2-3 months, it was one of the most desirable places to want to work because of the stability, hours, and benefits.

It is also notoriously hard to get into. Many people apply into a black hole, and never even hear back. The ones who break in are seen as almost elite, in that they got in. Those who apply unceasingly and don't even get acknowledged with an interview likely are irate and have built up hate for federal government workers. In the work and employment section on this site there are a ton of angry threads about the federal government application process and getting a federal job.

I did a fellowship at a federal agency, so know the process a little. After my year, I did not want to be in DC and have a more stable job in academics/medical center, although I did think hard about applying for a federal position and knowing people definitely helps.

I digress.... I think that, for some, not getting into a federal position has resulted in a lot of built up anger, which is being released towards federal workers during shutdowns. Although, if many were to step back, they may realize it is a blessing to not be working for the federal government nowadays with all of the instability and embarrassment of constant government shutdowns. Federal workers are not rich by any means, and seeing the stories of what they are going through definitely deserves empathy, whether you like the government or not.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:17 AM

14,215 posts, read 4,586,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
No-the non-essential employees should not be getting back pay. Guess what? In private business, there are layoffs when work loads are low, weather shuts down operations, etc. Those people don't get pay for sitting on their asses when they go back to work-they get unemployment. Government workers should be the same. They are not "special" just because they work for the state.
the bickering in Washington DC = work loads are low, weather shuts down operations?

this is like saying the CEO and his senior executives and are having a dispute, so they decided to send all the employees home for weeks.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
Taxation is theft. And no I have never applied for a govt tax funded position.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
the bickering in Washington DC = work loads are low, weather shuts down operations?

this is like saying the CEO and his senior executives and are having a dispute, so they decided to send all the employees home for weeks.
Well no, since their well being and that of the co. are directly impacted. What politicians will suffer financially as a result of a shutdown?
Have you ever seen mcdonalds voluntarily shut down its restaurants due to a disagreement amongst its shareholders?

Old 01-09-2019, 09:31 AM

14,215 posts, read 4,586,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I feel like if the govt truly must shut down, it needs to be EVERYONE, keeping 'essential' employees/agencies on, kind of makes it less significant.

Fire depts are local, not federal, same thing with police. There are federal law enforcement, like the FBI, and they should be shut down and out of work like everyone else, they are not essential, their duties and investigations can be put on hold for awhile.
are you an FBI agent? do you have access to every single case that the FBI is investigating? how do you know which case "can be put on hold for a while"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies