Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2018, 03:13 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yep. Blacks aren’t allowed to make comparisons to slavery for some reason.

Which is why we should do it as often as possible.

He’s not smart, but you can’t even spell his name right.

The so called “crackdown” in the NBA was overblown. The NBA hasn’t had any real thuggery since the ‘70s and into the 80’s with the knuckleheads in the Eastern Conference. The whole crackdown that you’re talking about concerns mostly 3 guys...Iverson, Sprewell, and Artest.

Iverson wasn’t anywhere near being a thug. He wore street clothes, sported tats and cornrows, and had a devil may care attitude. The incident with his wife was highly exaggerated and he rarely if ever had any other off court issues. He clashed with Larry Brown, which rubbed white America the wrong way for all the same stupid reasons. Basically, he wasn’t staying in his place. That said, Iverson himself has admitted that listening to Brown would’ve done him much better.

Sprewell choked his coach in an altercation, but there isn’t a soul that hangs around the NBA that doesn’t think Carlesimo didn’t probably deserved it with his well known reputation as a first class a-hole. Outside of Spree’s complaint about his salary, he was mostly quiet and stayed out of trouble.

Artest is a whole different animal. Definitely not a troublemaker off court, but he’s a very strange guy to untangle as it is. We don’t have to get into what happened involving him, but I’ve seen the same in hockey and baseball. What’s the difference? Yeah, we both know the answer to that.

Lebron is absolutely correct on this issue, and it’s time for the NFL to poop or get off the pot.
That entire thing with Spreewell was a result of PJ telling him to get "some mustard on those passes"....LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 03:55 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,553,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Lifeexplorer, how does your opinion that athletes shouldn't be paid millions because they don't produce anything of value mesh with previous statements you've made that wages should be set by the free market?

You've said in the past that forcing corporations to pay wages that are above market rate is immoral, unjust and unfair. Athletes are paid what the market bears. Wouldn't forcing corporations to pay wages that are below market rate be equally immoral, unjust and unfair?

How is this different than any other business?
I never said government needs to force people to pay.

I merely pointed out the irony that athletes don’t produce anything of value yet they are paid in millions while people are bitching about a CEO who organizes a company producing tremendous amount of valuable goods and services.

Old 12-23-2018, 05:14 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yep. Blacks aren’t allowed to make comparisons to slavery for some reason.

Which is why we should do it as often as possible.
Oh, they can make any comparison they want, no law against it, it is just it is a stupid comparison in regards to this subject.

If you really want to address issues, then stop making absurd comparisons. No one except a racist idiot is going to think that millionaires who voluntarily play a game, is anything close to being slavery.

Old 12-23-2018, 05:28 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,571,779 times
AFAIK, Mr. James is allowed to voice his opinion, and you and I are allowed to agree or disagree. I don't recall ever hearing one bit of scandal about him, no baby mamas, no drugs, no bar fights, etc. I don't watch NBA or NFL anymore, but I applaud his willingness to say what he thinks.

Old 12-23-2018, 05:46 PM

3,646 posts, read 3,781,229 times
Seems like many people complain about their bosses or the company they work for. That's all this amounts to, IMO.

Like anyone, he could quit. Be self employed, if he wishes.

It did seem a poor comparison. Quite sad when I think of how actual slaves of any race were, and are, treated. Minimizes their suffering.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:50 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Seems like many people complain about their bosses or the company they work for. That's all this amounts to, IMO.

Like anyone, he could quit. Be self employed, if he wishes.
I'm not sure why people continue to use this argument when he was not complaining about his employers.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:54 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
LeBron James is one of those wise fathers who has decreed that his sons are NOT to play football.
LeBron James says his kids aren't allowed to play football

He should be telling these NFL players to stop playing, too.
I'd like to see a government program to ease all professional football players out of the sport, and get them a green job instead.
Why should he do that? He'd really be excoriated if he tried to tell others what they should and shouldn't do. He's not even allowed to have an opinion without people losing it.

I think much of this has to do with their dislike of LeBron James and not with much else. People love to hate successful athletes - even when they don't follow their sport.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:57 PM

30,350 posts, read 19,122,995 times
Lebron is the type of guy that could be motivated to join ISIS and blow himself up in order to kill the race he hates.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:59 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I never said government needs to force people to pay.

I merely pointed out the irony that athletes don’t produce anything of value yet they are paid in millions while people are bitching about a CEO who organizes a company producing tremendous amount of valuable goods and services.
Okay, thanks for clarifying. You're pointing out the hypocrisy of people who whine about CEO's being overpaid but have no problem with athletes earning their millions.

Got it.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:00 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,377,904 times
Rightfully self-interested and trying to expand his empire. Good for him! Shame on the sheeple taking his word as gospel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies