Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2018, 11:59 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times

Advertisements

Interesting.

https://twitter.com/ChrisMurphyCT/st...42956399824896

Old 12-23-2018, 12:00 PM

Why doesn't the Trump administration use the billions Congress has already approved for border upgrades?

Hmmm?

It's almost as if he doesn't actually care about the border. Like what he actually cares about is whipping up his witless base into a frenzy over nonsense.

Old 12-23-2018, 12:04 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,166,113 times
The Republicans own this shutdown 100%.

60 votes in the Senate to stop a filibuster is not in the Constitution. It's a Senate rule. McConnell has the power to remove the rule. He could end the shutdown with a snap of his fingers, right here, right now. He VOLUNTARILY declined to do it.

This is all manufactured drama to feed red meat to Trump's base.

Trump has a budget shutdown with a Congress controlled by his own party. It takes some special leadership to do that.

Old 12-23-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post

60 votes in the Senate to stop a filibuster is not in the Constitution. It's a Senate rule. McConnell has the power to remove the rule. He could end the shutdown with a snap of his fingers, right here, right now. He VOLUNTARILY declined to do it.

Trump has a budget shutdown with a Congress controlled by his own party. It takes some special leadership to do that.
Bingo.

McConnell could end this shutdown. He has chosen not to.

Trump could use the border security billions already allocated. He has chosen not to.

Old 12-23-2018, 12:13 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Bingo.

McConnell could end this shutdown. He has chosen not to.

Trump could use the border security billions already allocated. He has chosen not to.
He is making people suffer....like any investor, business, federal employee, etc. - for absolutely nothing. This is what happens when you have a "less than sane and stable" person without any qualifications at the helm.

Old 12-23-2018, 01:43 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
You didn't address what I'm saying. It doesn't matter what you think their motivation was, or if someone was behind it. You're saying that they will bring America to its knees. How? You see an America that is weak. You see an America that's unable to solve any of these problems. You see an America that is full of cowards. Maybe you're right. In which case, I'm sure not missing anything not being there.

See now you're putting words in my mouth.

I never implied that they would " bring America to it's knees".

I'm saying that the caravan is organized by people with a specific agenda.

Much like Russia's motivation in interfering in the election, the purpose of the caravan is to sow discord amongst Americans and attempt to influence our foreign policy and our immigration policy.

Like I said an "invasion" can have more than one purpose.

Say we go ahead and let all these people in, let them all claim asylum as refugees.....

What about the next Caravan?

And the one after that?

Because going soft on people who are intentionally attempting to force a change in policy by skirting our laws is only going to encourage more to do the same.

Old 12-23-2018, 01:59 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post

I guess when a bi-partisan congress approved the wall back in 2006 it was to feed red meat to Trump's base? Oh wait, he wasn't even president back nor a politician.

Old 12-23-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I keep getting accused of this, but when asked what makes my position hypocritical, you all run away. Stand by what you say or don't say it.

Well maybe there's a reason why you keep getting accused of it.......if the shoe fits ....

If you're outraged over Trump and the wall but you weren't outraged over Obama and his lies about the ACA....

Then you're a hypocrite.

Sorry/not sorry that you can't handle the truth.

Obama's lies had a huge negative impact on millions of Americans.

You are literally comparing Trump's molehill to Obama's mountain..

Old 12-23-2018, 03:43 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,166,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I guess when a bi-partisan congress approved the wall back in 2006 it was to feed red meat to Trump's base? Oh wait, he wasn't even president back nor a politician.
There was no wall in the 2006 Secure Fence Act. Democrats voted for it, proving that Democrats are in favor of border security and not for "open borders." The secure fence works. There is no need to waste $5 billion on a boondoggle wall when you can have security with cheaper alternatives.

"The wall" has nothing to due with security. It's all about Trump saving face.

Old 12-23-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
More conspiracy theories ? Have you ever been to El Salvador or Honduras, especially San Pedro Sula ?

You have not or else you would not be saying something so ignorant. Please permit me to enlighten you; those places really suck and everyone there knows someone who lives in the US. They can communicate every day/week with someone doing fine in the US - whether they are legal or not. People are motivated to seek a better life.

Regardless of how feel about illegal residents, the reasons are there if you just take a look.

.Regardless of how much those places suck, 5000+ people don't just start an organized caravan walking thousands of miles..... Which is dangerous in itself....

Just to seek asylum in America when they could have sought asylum in Mexico.

And their seeking a better life isn't a legit reason for granting them asylum.

Throw in the fact that most of these "innocent refugees" are men, that they've asked for $50k each to go back and they rush the border, throwing rocks at the guards....

Makes it's kind of hard to be very sympathetic.

No one has a "right" to immigrate to America.....

But we do have a right to control our borders.

Last edited by FatBob96; 12-23-2018 at 04:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies