Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 06:39 AM

62,866 posts, read 29,098,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I can respect Ken Buck's position but if the wall doesn't start to get built now, it never will.

Anyone who still thinks we don't need the wall and/or is b*tching about who's going to pay for it should read the article below.

Hundreds of migrant families arrive at remote border crossings, overwhelming U.S. agents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 06:42 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,323,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The 8 House Republicans who voted against the border wall.

Carlos Carbelo (Florida) - Lost his re-election bid in November. Went on MSNBC to b**ch about Trump for his parting shot because no 2 million dreamer legislation voted on.
Will Hurd (Texas) - Won reelection in November by less than 1 point.
Erik Paulsen (Minnesota) - Lost re-election in November by double digits.
Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (Florida) - Had announced she was retiring.
David Valadao (California) - Lost re-election by less than 1 point in November.
Ken Buck (Colorado) - Claims he wanted the wall, just didn't want it tied to government shutdown.
Justin Amash (Michigan) - Claims it's massive, wasteful spending bill—stuffed with unrelated items and that the Democrats will try to attach Medicare For All to it.
Fred Upton (Michigan) - Another who wanted border security tied to the 2 million dreamers and claims the wall may not be appropriate in all areas.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...ps-border-wall

Note: Not using "claims" in a derogatory way. Just don't know if it's true. Looks like we Republicans only have to remember 3 of them when they come up for re-election next time.

Once again, "Who is paying for the Wall"?, Mexico!

Old 12-23-2018, 06:46 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,398,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Exactly. I knew of highly educated people who are waiting years to immigrate, especially when they have no other family member in the US.
In that case doesn't it make you wonder how Melania Trump
and her whole extended family made it in so easily on a fake visa? Shouldn't
she and her sister, parents be the first in line to leave?
Our president has one law for the "lessers" and another for his wife and family.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:51 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
I didn't think a wall was needed, until recently.
My theory was that walls built to keep them out can also be used to keep you in.
The wall is a band-aid on the symptoms, not the cause.
The incentives are the cause and a wall would not be needed, if the incentives disappeared completely.
But, since we all know that is not going to happen, the invaders from central America, cemented my belief a wall is the only solution, until people wake up and end the incentives.
Plus, it makes the Commies loose their friggin minds.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:00 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
So, you want to remember them for having the courage to vote their conscience, and to do what they were paid to do, and why they went to DC in the first place ? Or, are you going to be vindictive, and put aside all the good work they have done over one point you happen to disagree on ?

I don't think you will have the chance...…….most likely, a Democrat will be replacing them anyway.
I live in Tennessee. I couldn't vote for any of the 8 even if they all had won. That doesn't stop them from asking me for donations.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Big deal, they are KIDS, and if you had a shred of compassion and humanity in your heart, you would see that. Most of them have been here all their lives, have done nothing to harm you, and yet you just want to sweep them out, like garbage.

THAT, my friend, is the major difference between your team and ours. We see them as humans, your side sees them as a problem.
They're not all kids anymore.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I didn't think a wall was needed, until recently.
My theory was that walls built to keep them out can also be used to keep you in.
The wall is a band-aid on the symptoms, not the cause.
The incentives are the cause and a wall would not be needed, if the incentives disappeared completely.
But, since we all know that is not going to happen, the invaders from central America, cemented my belief a wall is the only solution, until people wake up and end the incentives.
Plus, it makes the Commies loose their friggin minds.

No one is saying that the wall is the only solution but it certainly should be a part of the solution. Have you read the numerous links I have provided denoting how the good walls do work? Even the Border Patrol and Homeland Security have stated that the good walls are needed. This is the U.S. we don't keep our own citizens in nor would we ever do that. We aren't East Berlin.

The incentives do need to be removed for illegals to come here such as jobs, benefits and birthright citizenship for their kids but criminals, terrorists and the drug cartels aren't looking for any of the above, thus the wall. We need a total solution/package to put a large dent in illegal entry. We would also need to figure out how to stop the employers from paying them cash to work. That's why it's important to try and deter them from getting in here in the first place with a wall. Once they get in here they are hard to weed out and more expensive to do so. The link below is a real eye opener. Look at the flimsy wire that these illegals (so-called asylum seekers) were able to climb over as they were brought here by the coyotes.

Hundreds of migrant families arrive at remote border crossings, overwhelming U.S. agents

Old 12-23-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Once again, "Who is paying for the Wall"?, Mexico!
Just double the cost for ALL visas and decrease the amount of time for which they are good. Use the money to build the wall. If employers (like tech companies) want the employees, the employers will pay for the visas and the wall.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
In that case doesn't it make you wonder how Melania Trump
and her whole extended family made it in so easily on a fake visa? Shouldn't
she and her sister, parents be the first in line to leave?
Our president has one law for the "lessers" and another for his wife and family.
What makes you think her visa was fake?

Old 12-23-2018, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
They're not all kids anymore.

Yes, in fact most of them are not! It's BS that our side doesn't see these so-called Dreamers as humans either. But humans break laws and they should not benefit from their parent's law breaking either. How is it fair to immigrants who come here the right way to allow these Dreamers to not have go back home and follow the legal path also? It sets a precedence that all you have to do is sneak your kids across our border and they will be home free. Sending them home with their parents (no separation of families then) is not treating them like garbage either. Since when is enforcing any of our laws treating law breakers as garbage?

We don't need the competition for jobs and resources against Americans from 1.8 million Dreamers either. There parents have already taken millions of jobs from Americans. Where is the compassion for American families who have been negatively impacted in many ways by illegal immigration? The pro-illegals have no right to take the moral high ground here and demonize those of us who merely want our immigration laws respected and enforced and not reward them or their kids for not doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies