Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 02:58 PM

26,563 posts, read 14,441,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
So I should just toss all my personal beliefs in the trash because Trump said stuff?

not exactly sure why you need to "toss all your personal beliefs in the trash" to hold trump accountable to his word but...... ok. if that's how it works for you.

as for me....:

a $70billion ineffective wall paid for by someone else = sure. go for it.

a $70billion ineffective wall paid for on my tax dollar = no thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 03:01 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,802,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
Tighter border security and how about getting serious about deportation? One of my Ex's teaches in Aurora, IL, a highly Latino area. She knows for a fact that there are a number of her students who are not in the US legally.

If it's common knowledge that they're here illegally, then why isn't the government deporting them?
I don't know the answer to your question. All I know is it seems neither the Dems nor the Republicans have the stomach for immigration reform. However, they have appropriated $1.3 billion in last year's bill and $1.5 or something billion in this year's bill for increased border security, including the use of technology. At least it was a start until Trumpie threw his temper tantrum. He didn't even spend the $1.3 billion he had last year. How can anyone think he is even serious?

Old 12-22-2018, 03:02 PM

37,170 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
We have enough college grads working at Starbucks, and we already have that Obamacae disaster that the democrats rammed down our throats. Americans need real jobs, with real health insurance and affordable healthcare. Nothing dems do is affordable, or makes any sense at all.
There are also a lot of technical schools in this country beside colleges and universities, and they still charge exorbitant tuition. The student loans are what makes it unaffordable for many.

I take it you are amenable to paying tuition for qualified students to learn electrical work, welding, plumbing, carpentry, and mechanics. You still won't create jobs, however, because jobs are only created to supply demand. People who are paying off student loans don't have the money to be consumers, therefore it stifles demand for goods and services. A fifteen-dollar minimum wage is still slightly shy of a decent living wage in a lot of places, but it would be a damned good start to put more money into circulation.

Old 12-22-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
The even bigger point, is that no one cares if that’s what he said. They just want the wall. If the condition of a very minor sticking point isn’t met, it doesn’t change the fact that people still want a wall. And we’re not gonna fall on the ground, crying like toddlers because we have to pay an extra $50 one year.
The royal "they" are a solid minority of Americans.

Old 12-22-2018, 03:05 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times
Quote:
Nobody, besides never-trumpers, cares if Mexico pays for the wall
Do yu have any numbers to back up your claim or are you pulling them out of your butt?

Old 12-22-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
What benefit do I get from giving $50 to Trump's monument?
It will serve in the same way confederate memorials do, to commemorate the treason and lost causes of fools who try to destroy the Nation.

Old 12-22-2018, 03:09 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Do yu have any numbers to back up your claim or are you pulling them out of your butt?
He won't post numbers because they refute the entire premise of this thread. Those who want this monstrosity are a minority of Americans.

The Democrats are on the right side of this issue. They will make sure America does't get saddled with Trump's boondoggle. And no amount of whining is going to change that.

Old 12-22-2018, 03:11 PM

62,944 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I think the larger point is that Trump SAID Mexico would pay for the wall. If you don't care that he is good for his word that's fine.

Perhaps you could think of Trump saying Mexico would pay for the wall in a similar manner to when Obama said "If you like your Doctor, you can keep your doctor". But my assumption is that you didn't care about that either.

He asked, Mexico refused. Doesn't make him a liar. There isn't a president in history that hasn't tried to fulfill a promise but was unable to do so.

Trump never said that they'd write a check for it anyway. He still has a plan though. So where's the lie?

https://assets.donaldjtrump.com/Pay_for_the_Wall.pdf

Old 12-22-2018, 03:12 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,286,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
then "never-trumpers" are fiscally responsible.

a 2017 senate report estimates the cost for a 1,933mile wall ( not including lawsuit challenges ) at $70billion. not a great price for something that can be easily twarted with a ladder.

https://www.hsgac.senate.gov/border-wall-report
^Exactly this.

I don’t want a dime of my money going to Trump’s worthless monument.

Old 12-22-2018, 03:13 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Why is it that this point never seems to penetrate the far-left echo chambers?
Is that why some of the Senate Republicans don't want a wall -- they are Never Trumpers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies