Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 09:54 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,107,310 times

Advertisements

How many of you use the phone app "tapatalk"? It is based in mainland China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 12:32 PM

1,675 posts, read 576,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Remember awhile back when Samsung was busted and had to pay a fine for having spy gear in its TVs?

They were secretly recording people and their conversations in rooms where the TV was, even if it was turned off...If Samsung was doing this, chances are, other tv manufacturers are too.

Honestly there is probably spy gear in just about everything we buy today, Im just curious about the end game or goal in all this, what would they possibly want with random people in their living rooms and their conversations?

Have you heard of the social credits in China? Whether you can travel, get a loan, etc. depends on that credit score for millions of people is China; it is supposed to be fully implemented by 2020.

We know Google, amazon, facebook, etc. use the data for advertising purpose. But all that can be useful for many other things. Getting loans is an obvious thing. What about shaping elections? Or which schools children can go to?
People probably think that would never happen in America. They would be wrong, most people don't believe election fraud is widespread. For example, it is a verifiable fact that Hilary Clinton stole the primary elections to Bernie. Remember that Trump kept saying there was going to be fraud in the elections he won. Well, many people believe the fraud worked in his favor.

I say that as an example that the social credit score which is openly implemented in China would probably be implemented in "democratic" countries. People only need to keep believing they are free. Or another terror attack could help in that direction.

Old 12-23-2018, 03:48 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,008,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
People like you that find this acceptable scare me. Why stop at the car? Let's put chip in your brain so the government can monitor your every movement, if you aren't going to a brothel what does it matter?
Actually the chip idea is a good one. They are doing this in Sweden, and so far it's worked out fine. I posted about it a while back.
Swedes move ahead on chip implants. Why we should too, and how this could be a boon to health and wellness.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:18 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,581,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Actually the chip idea is a good one. They are doing this in Sweden, and so far it's worked out fine. I posted about it a while back.
Swedes move ahead on chip implants. Why we should too, and how this could be a boon to health and wellness.
I read that thread, and I thought it was a crap idea, too.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:32 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,107,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I read that thread, and I thought it was a crap idea, too.
That is why travis t is for it.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:32 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,125,460 times
Quote:
Remember awhile back when Samsung was busted and had to pay a fine for having spy gear in its TVs?

They were secretly recording people and their conversations in rooms where the TV was, even if it was turned off...If Samsung was doing this, chances are, other tv manufacturers are too.

Honestly there is probably spy gear in just about everything we buy today, Im just curious about the end game or goal in all this, what would they possibly want with random people in their living rooms and their conversations?
This thread reminds me of the movie, Enemy Of The State with Will Smith. He attracts the attention of creeps in power who can track his every move. The end game for the average person is money, power and control. This is the motivation for everything in Washington anyway. I bet in China, those are the same motivations on steroids.

Old 12-25-2018, 04:09 AM

96 posts, read 58,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
No, they're fine. Huawei and all the rest owned by Chinese people are the problem. They can create cheaper high quality stuff, so they need to be "crushed".
That article in the OP is pure propaganda. Comparing China to Germany before wwII and saying how bad the data gathering is in China. At least they are up front about it. Unlike the BS we keep hearing about privacy. Another interesting thing it says is that the Huawei lady would probably get a huge fine and sent home. What a ridiculous joke of justice; the largest extortion I've ever seen.
I was being a little cynical with my comment. Yes, I believe that Huawei is the problem. However, when companies like Apple out source their production to China, a considerable amount of their intellectual property leaks out to others such as Huawei. I saw some figures that suggested that Apple saves around $65 per iPhone. Yes they get a short term gain. Who then evaluates the long term losses both to Apple and to the country as a whole as IP, skills, jobs and by the looks of things, national security are sacrificed?

Old 12-25-2018, 04:32 AM

27,129 posts, read 13,424,152 times
Most western countries are alreadt having this conversation.

Alex Younger: MI6 chief questions China's role in UK tech sector - BBC

China could cause 'chaos' in the UK by using 5G to hack key services - The Telegraph

Old 12-25-2018, 09:40 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,575,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
This thread reminds me of the movie, Enemy Of The State with Will Smith. He attracts the attention of creeps in power who can track his every move. The end game for the average person is money, power and control. This is the motivation for everything in Washington anyway. I bet in China, those are the same motivations on steroids.
I think we are moving towards a 'pre-crime' agency.

The more 'random/ lonewolf' mass shootings that happen...the more freedom/liberty the public is suddenly willing to give up in order to feel safe.

Just imagine if police were able to prevent the next Columbine thru data gathered from spying on the kid who was planning to carry this out?! They could come out and say we literally saved hundreds of lives.

Of course, this also benefits the growing police state too(thats the real goal, but they sell it to the public using safety). Its pretty clever of them.

Old 12-25-2018, 12:13 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,125,460 times
Quote:
I think we are moving towards a 'pre-crime' agency.

The more 'random/ lonewolf' mass shootings that happen...the more freedom/liberty the public is suddenly willing to give up in order to feel safe.

Just imagine if police were able to prevent the next Columbine thru data gathered from spying on the kid who was planning to carry this out?! They could come out and say we literally saved hundreds of lives.

Of course, this also benefits the growing police state too(thats the real goal, but they sell it to the public using safety). Its pretty clever of them.
“Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin.

Ben was a pretty smart man, I doubt if he bought into much political blather. If he saw the huge, bloated bureaucracy that Washington has become, he’d be very disappointed.

It is troubling to read articles about how much of our privacy has been eroded, but a lot of people don’t seem to mind. Saying ‘so what, I haven’t done anything wrong” is not the way to look at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies