Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2018, 04:53 PM

1,279 posts, read 852,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
And a far more qualified Asian-American applicant was rejected.

Hogg said he had a mediocre for Harvard 1270 SAT score. Only football and basketball players are accepted with scores like that.
Actually only liberal activists get into Harvard with SAT scores (and grades- a 4.2 GPA) like that; I don't believe that football or basketball players do.

Maybe HBS should allow Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to go to grad school there, if the sole criterion for admission now is being a left-wing activist?

Surely David Hogg realizes that with his SAT score and grades already posted on the Internet (as he revealed them), he'll be known around campus and in alumni circles as the "non-academically qualified" student, limiting the benefit of his Harvard diploma in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 05:22 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Are you actually suggesting that a 4.2 is somehow less than a stellar grade point average?

Old 12-23-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Are you actually suggesting that a 4.2 is somehow less than a stellar grade point average?
I went to, and graduated from, Harvard.

A weighted GPA of 4.2 is way below general admissions standards there. It wasn't good enough for UC Irvine or a few other UC schools, even.

Old 12-23-2018, 05:31 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Sour grapes, you people. Let me give you my own personal experience. I never took the SAT's in HS. Went to work at NYU after HS, and took their Adult Admissions tests as a employee. Admitted as a Matriculated P/T student for FREE. lol Had a 3.0 GPA there.

Quit college when I changed jobs. Decided to go back to school 20 years later. Been out of school so long and everyone told me I would never make again. Went to a Community College. 3.8 GPA. Nominated (by Professors) for a National Honor Society. Condition was to perform Community Service. Ok, suggested an AIDS Awareness Event on Campus in the 90's. Other majors liked my idea and asked how they could help. It totally snowballed beyond anything I ever expected. Did Hoggs and Parkland students expect what would happen to them Nationally? Besides all the Health Experts coming, the local Press came for our candlelight vigil, and banner listing of all the names students had known who died of AIDS. Our local Congressional Rep came to event; as well as our County Executive who flew in by helicopter onto campus to appear. Police were everywhere with so many cars trying to get on campus. LOCAL event, not NATIONAL like what has happened to Hoggs and Parkland students.

I was accepted into that National Honor Society (not the HIGHEST GPA) and was named to the yearly National Who's Who of American College Students. As a married, middle age woman with two children same age as most HS students? Apply to 4 year Universities? I got letters from all over the country from Universities. California, Colorado, Texas and DC. Come to my school. We can offer you bla, bla, bla. Georgetown touted me their White House Internship! lol You do not think Hoggs and Parkland students did not get those unsolicited college letters for what they have done?

I applied to a local State University campus. Got acceptance letter immediately. A young student with my major, who attended classes with me, asked WHY she had been rejected with the same GPA to the same University, and never nominated to the Honor Society. Let me be Blunt? Grades alone are not enough. Open YOUR MOUTH in class and don't be a Zombie Robot just spewing out textbook citations. Your Teachers/Professors want you to be able to THINK for yourself, and contribute to the class, campus, local community, state, and Country.

Sorry to be long winded, but David Hoggs and all those Parkland students have done and learned this lesson in life as only teens in HS on a NATIONAL level, far more than I ever did on the LOCAL level. You don't like Hoggs SAT? Well, take this from someone who had a ZERO HS SAT.

Last edited by Jo48; 12-23-2018 at 06:47 PM..

Old 12-23-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
You don't like Hoggs SAT?
His SAT is fine. He's a very accomplished person: the type who could end up being President.

My point is that he doesn't meet Harvard's "book-smart" criteria for admissions. Clearly he has other talents and the admissions committee figured he'd be an interesting and accomplished person to have on campus despite that.

Old 12-23-2018, 05:36 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,736,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
And a far more qualified Asian-American applicant was rejected.

Hogg said he had a mediocre for Harvard 1270 SAT score. Only football and basketball players are accepted with scores like that.
It's a shame that Harvard has lowered their standards so much and have become a platform for liberal brainwashing propaganda.

Old 12-23-2018, 05:40 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
I went to, and graduated from, Harvard.

A weighted GPA of 4.2 is way below general admissions standards there. It wasn't good enough for UC Irvine or a few other UC schools, even.
It's not. The average high school gpa for incoming Harvard students is a 4.1. If his reported composite SAT score is accurate, it is below the 25th percentile, but his grade point average is right in line.

Old 12-23-2018, 05:41 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
He'll actually have to do college-level school work. When he drops out because it's too hard, no one will be surprised.

He'll drop out and claim it's because he wants more time for his "activism."
He has already proven he can do some college level work by taking and passing AP courses. It is possible though that Harvard is more difficult than other colleges. The fact is that at Harvard, he will be competing with more students who were top tier in their high schools. At least in the Freshman courses, the material should be comparable.

Old 12-23-2018, 05:41 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
It's a shame that Harvard has lowered their standards so much and have become a platform for liberal brainwashing propaganda.
It's a shame that Trump supporters continue to attack this teenager and still call themselves Christians.

Old 12-23-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
It's not. The average high school gpa for incoming Harvard students is a 4.1. If his reported composite SAT score is accurate, it is below the 25th percentile, but his grade point average is right in line.
It is.

You're getting weighted and unweighted GPAs confused and are comparing two different numbers.

A 4.2 out of 5 isn't Harvard-level. Nor, for David Hogg, was it UCLA, UC-Irvine or other UC schools' level.

Harvard recalculates weighted GPAs and reports admitted students' GPAs on an unweighted 4.0 scale. So if Harvard admitted students' GPA is 4.1 on average, that's better than straight-As. David Hogg, however, had 4.2 out of 5.

Last edited by PuppiesandKittens; 12-23-2018 at 05:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies