Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 05:58 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,186,882 times

Advertisements

Seems to me that Californians and New Yorkers not only raise up the housing costs of everywhere they migrate to but also turn those states and cities blue. I believe The Californians have turned Seattle, Portland, Bend Missoula, Boise, Austin, and many other places blue. Whereas New Yorkers have turned North Carolina, Virginia, Florida and many other places blue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 06:05 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Lots of threads about this - but they have all kinds of different names...

No doubt it is in play most everywhere. Places like New England and NY and CA have excess populations so that people moving out do not change the political balances...but they do change it where to move to.

Without funny business (gerrymandering, voter suppression and more) we'd have seen even more results that we have - although we have seen quite a change (AZ going purple, NV, NC toss-up, VA. solid blue, etc.) - let alone the Pacific Northwest.

There are also a lot of articles elsewhere online about it - it's a fact, not speculation. As more educated outsiders move to the Sunbelt they change the balance.

Old 12-22-2018, 06:32 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
This dynamic involves a lot more than just CA.

Some of those hard-left economic-refugees, moving from places like Seattle or Portland, are still going to vote Blue and spread their ideology in their new home, especially if they move to a Red-state.

Don't forget all of the east-coast also, lots of hardcore blue-voters migrating to other areas.

Old 12-22-2018, 06:37 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
They are moving because the left wing agenda is a complete failure.

Old 12-22-2018, 06:40 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
Seems to me that Californians and New Yorkers not only raise up the housing costs of everywhere they migrate to but also turn those states and cities blue. I believe The Californians have turned Seattle, Portland, Bend Missoula, Boise, Austin, and many other places blue. Whereas New Yorkers have turned North Carolina, Virginia, Florida and many other places blue.
You know, not all Californians are “blue”. There are plenty of republicans still in California. Basically all of inland California votes majority red. I would venture to guess the garden variety Californian moving to Idaho or Montana is more likely than not going to be a republican, because there is a bigger push AND pull factor there.

Whether or not a California Republican is the same as an Idaho Republican, I don’t really know.

For the record, Seattle and Portland have always been liberal cities. It’s not like California is what turned Seattle blue. California doesn’t get to take credit for that.

Old 12-22-2018, 07:04 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,919,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Opinion, not based on any known fact.

Old 12-22-2018, 07:43 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,769,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
California has the 5th largest economy in the world.

Old 12-22-2018, 08:28 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
This is the electoral map from the 1960 presidential election. It was basically a tied election so the red/blue divide is a good measure of where the nation stood back then.

Interestingly, Democrats seem to have lost more than the Republicans. They had NY back then too. They had NM and NV but they have lost the entire south. They have gained CA and the PNW, but it is not a wipe out for the Republicans.

Old 12-22-2018, 08:35 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,895,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
You know, not all Californians are “blue”. There are plenty of republicans still in California. Basically all of inland California votes majority red. I would venture to guess the garden variety Californian moving to Idaho or Montana is more likely than not going to be a republican, because there is a bigger push AND pull factor there.

Whether or not a California Republican is the same as an Idaho Republican, I don’t really know.

For the record, Seattle and Portland have always been liberal cities. It’s not like California is what turned Seattle blue. California doesn’t get to take credit for that.
Exactly California has the largest republican party in the country. Younger people vote democratic, and as Millennials, and Gen Z start voting we will see the trends continue.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:04 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
Mostly due to immigration to Cali and NY have flushed out Californians and New Yorkers to traditional red locales causing them to purpleize and sometimes become blue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies