Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2018, 09:33 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,354,699 times

Advertisements

It's still strange to me how hostile people get when you tell them their life is their own, and as long as they aren't attacking or stealing from others, they have the right to live their life in peace, or however they choose. It's their life. You'd think that would be an easy sell...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 10:11 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,431,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I don't think whogo would send his wife to a Siberian gulag if she refused to do the dishes though.

We may not agree on everything but at least give him that.
Then the dishes won’t be clean.

The longer they are not clean the more people around the house will want them clean until they do it themselves. No numerical investment/profit motive needed.

I’m sure if his wife doesn’t do it he’ll get sick of having nothing to eat with and do it himself.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:37 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Then the dishes won’t be clean.

The longer they are not clean the more people around the house will want them clean until they do it themselves. No numerical investment/profit motive needed.

I’m sure if his wife doesn’t do it he’ll get sick of having nothing to eat with and do it himself.
If you're lazy enough...it will get done.

*in whispering Field of Dreams voice

Old 12-28-2018, 10:55 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
It's still strange to me how hostile people get when you tell them their life is their own, and as long as they aren't attacking or stealing from others, they have the right to live their life in peace, or however they choose. It's their life. You'd think that would be an easy sell...
It was the first sign I knew I was onto something honest and consistent...when the backlash against me became apparent.

I got it while working in the public sector...as expected. Soon got out but that still didn't solve everything. I've lost a few clients or had some only wish to deal with my partner. Then again, it has served me well overall so can't complain.

I'm not pushing anything (a)political mind you...just not pretending. When you don't play pretend people get very angry/offended or they believe you're trying to scam them. I'm not that bright or disciplined nor do I care enough for this to be an act. You could find me making the following quote to numerous folks across all walks of life over the years: "No, I'm really this messed up."

When my father became gravely ill and it was I who solely took care of him I "lost" about 90% of my family because of my approach. Unconditional love, respect for free will, respect for his right to live & die as he saw fit. Nah, had to be act. If you bargain enough you can get anything done. That's the mindset of the statist and why the ends (in this case literally the end) can justify the means.

I don't know how they sleep at night nor do I care. I'm out like a baby though.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:52 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Was Barry Goldwater a conservative or a libertarian or a bit of both?

His protégée Reagan stated libertarianism was the heart of conservatism.

You need not be a minarchist or anarchist to be a libertarian. If you are fiscally conservative but believe gays should have the right to marry and drugs should be decriminalized the term libertarian most likely describes you better than liberal or conservative.

Old 12-29-2018, 12:08 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Libertarians like paved roads and clean water but do not believe that they should be responsible for paying anything towards the infrastructure that these things require.
Privatize and create jobs, give that taxpayer a break ... however, taxpayer under current R&D if infrastructure was privatized, the tax would still increase and spent elsewhere on other federally funded agencies.

Old 12-29-2018, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
It was the first sign I knew I was onto something honest and consistent...when the backlash against me became apparent.

I got it while working in the public sector...as expected. Soon got out but that still didn't solve everything. I've lost a few clients or had some only wish to deal with my partner. Then again, it has served me well overall so can't complain.

I'm not pushing anything (a)political mind you...just not pretending. When you don't play pretend people get very angry/offended or they believe you're trying to scam them. I'm not that bright or disciplined nor do I care enough for this to be an act. You could find me making the following quote to numerous folks across all walks of life over the years: "No, I'm really this messed up."

When my father became gravely ill and it was I who solely took care of him I "lost" about 90% of my family because of my approach. Unconditional love, respect for free will, respect for his right to live & die as he saw fit. Nah, had to be act. If you bargain enough you can get anything done. That's the mindset of the statist and why the ends (in this case literally the end) can justify the means.

I don't know how they sleep at night nor do I care. I'm out like a baby though.
In reading those two posts I immediately thought of ...

Plato's Cave

"After hearing everything the free man had to say, the prisoners showed disbelief, mockery, and hatred toward the free man. They thought, how could this man know better than they did? How dare the man pretend to know more than they did.

The free man left the prisoners in the cave and walked back out into his freedom."

from Plato's Republic

Education and Plato’s Allegory of the Cave
"In conclusion, Plato appears to be suggesting that we need to force ourselves to want to learn about the truth. Seeking knowledge is not an easy journey; it is a struggle, and once you see the world differently you cannot go back. "

PS: it is also what i think of in general when i think of libertarians, because when they talk about liberty suddenly people haven't a clue as to what that is.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 12-29-2018 at 01:00 AM..

Old 12-29-2018, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
As I said before, a "Libertarian" (of which, IMHO, there is no such thing) is the equiv. of someone who discovered they need air and that water is wet.

I could, like some libertarians, wake up in morning and list 100's of things that are "wrong" with our form of government, society, culture and traditions. I'm a born critic and also cynical (I probably share that with many so-called "libertarians")...

Can I also list a better way of doing all of those hundreds of things? No way...at least not most of them.

A Libertarian will tell you Government did that. An example - Government made the very libertarian Koch Brothers pollute less so that the other billions of people their corporation may affect (pollution, etc.) don't suffer as much.

A modern "libertarian" probably approves of Trump rollbacks in EPA standards.

One could almost feel their position as "Hey, if I can't touch it, see it, smell it and if I don't know about it...or know that it is affecting me, well - then it's all OK".

The bathwater may be dirty but the Libertarians stand of always wanting to throw it...and the babies...out, is not a realistic world view.

As far as the Selfishness (self-interest) and Godlessness (same), I understand those tendencies...but again, it's the equiv. of discovering that the Earth revolves around the Sun.

An actual interesting question is why we hardly see any Female Libertarians? Yeah, I'm sure there are some but in General women tend to know a lot more (or at least feel a lot more) about interdependence so they are likely to reject Libertarianism without even a thought.

"Women don't identify as libertarian because it has a hard time reconciling most of women's lived experiences with its core tenets."

In other words - it's BS. Period.

Before anyone gets their back up, that doesn't mean that some of the talking points involved aren't good qualities and good ideas. That's why a lot of guys fall for it - because it dovetails right into their selfish and conspiracy minded world views.

And, yes, conspiracies are often true or partly true also. But what are we gonna do about it?
Time for me to show up. Hello, I'm female and I identify as libertarian, in training. I was libertarian long before I knew that was a thing.

Quote:
approves of Trump rollbacks in EPA standards.
Guess what I heard on the news today. oops, yesterday. Companies that have gone to the expense in their efforts to comply with Obama's 2016 rules based on EPA regulatory standards have decided (and they did under their own free will) not to roll back, but continue instead.

You know, you got to give people the chance to do the right thing or the wrong thing, tell 'em how it is and let them decide. Not doing so is unconstitutional, always has been and always will be.

Old 12-29-2018, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
So few are members of the Party itself....naturally due to their world views.

Oh, and no, Paul Ryan and the 100's or 1000's of Republicans who claim "libertarian views" are looking for votes....and certainly not for limited government.

If, as some claim, both L and l libertarians vote toward the Red End, that pretty much tells the tale. Now, who knows how they square that with the current mess of sticking a finger in everything...or about reaching into a womans womb...or about the tendency of Repubs to fight the Drug War even today.

My guess is that the answer is guns.guns.guns. Just like with Real Estates (location.location.location), they don't seem to put equal weight on the tendency to arrest, lock up and torture someone for selling weed....and their ability to have a 20 round mag instead of 10. The Mag wins each and every time.

Before, during and after the Election of Obama a lot of Libertarians came out of the closet and many - when peeled slightly back - were all about racism. I was amazed how quickly a Ron Paul volunteer I knew in New England turned from how great Paul was....to out and out racism.

I guess that's why Ron Paul was known for those newsletters and Rand had a campaign manager that posted pics of lynching on FB on MLK day. Everyone does that stuff, right? Just Texans being Texans, I guess.
Ron Paul is a republican or have you not heard? Also, I live in Texas ... thanks for that grand review and I will give to it about as much attention as it deserves.

wow rant much.

Old 12-29-2018, 01:36 AM

1,805 posts, read 1,466,820 times
"Guess what I heard on the news today. oops, yesterday. Companies that have gone to the expense in their efforts to comply with Obama's 2016 rules based on EPA regulatory standards have decided (and they did under their own free will) not to roll back, but continue instead."

Just a thought but it might be that those companies might not want to go through the expense of undoing whatever it was they did to comply with Obama's 2016 rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies