Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2019, 06:28 AM

5,298 posts, read 2,339,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Yes they were. Most who have made arguments here are not discussing Libertarianism but something else. Libertarian's support the Constitution as written and are not anti-government.
They did capitalize Libertarian, which we’d associate with the party, but they didn’t exactly specify. We’re just talking about fully consistent libertarianism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 06:31 AM

21,813 posts, read 9,356,248 times
I did not and do not plan to read through the 86 pages of this thread. But in my opinion, people think Libertarians are nuts because that's what the two parties had incentive to make you believe. The media, as usual, was complicit.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:24 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,249,521 times
Quote:
I know no other way to put this. You are talking out of both sides of your mouth.
Sure thing.

Can you point out where?

Old 01-09-2019, 08:01 AM

79,907 posts, read 43,992,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Sure thing.

Can you point out where?
You support free markets and you support the idea of everyone having equal. You know the two will never work together.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:11 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,499,977 times
Quote:
Yes they were. Most who have made arguments here are not discussing Libertarianism but something else. Libertarian's support the Constitution as written and are not anti-government.
Can we go back to the roads that can’t be built without the government?

I have provided you a real life example how they can be built.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Can we go back to the roads that can’t be built without the government?

I have provided you a real life example how they can be built.
No you haven't.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
No you haven't.
What? Didn’t I suggest it can be done in the same way as how oil drilling is done?

Actually most oil drillers have to build roads across multiple private properties to reach their drilling point.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:26 AM

13,819 posts, read 5,541,058 times
Quote:
You support free markets and you support the idea of everyone having equal. You know the two will never work together.
He never said he supported the idea of everyone HAVING equal. He even defined equality as he does see it - "no one entity having legal ability to initiate force, regardless of the thickness of someone's wallet, or mystical piece of paper."

Nowhere in that definition does he define or espouse the theory of equal results. In the free market, where equality is defined as Gungnir defines it above, not everyone will achieve equal results, by definition. Every anarchist/libertarian understands and accepts this as feature, not a bug. Equality simply means no one person or group thereof has power to initiate force on others, which is defined (often quoted by No_Recess, in fact) as holding a higher claim on someone else's life than they have for themselves. That's equality. What the individual does with their individual freedom from aggression is up to them.

The straw man is your favorite fallacy. You reword what any of us libertarian/anarchist folks say and then argue your newly worded version. Then you label your straw man version of what was written/meant as dishonest, to fuel your appeals to ridicule and ad hominem fallacies.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
He never said he supported the idea of everyone HAVING equal. He even defined equality as he does see it - "no one entity having legal ability to initiate force, regardless of the thickness of someone's wallet, or mystical piece of paper."
Impossible without force. Wonderful idea. I've said over and over, I'm not interesting in ideas not based in realities.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Impossible without force. Wonderful idea. I've said over and over, I'm not interesting in ideas not based in realities.
Please provide a specific counter example instead of the disparaging “It can’t be done but I don’t why.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies