Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 12:58 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
What about Marc Lamont Hill. The left celebrated roseanne getting fired, but was clearly upset when CNN fired Marc Lamont Hill for making anti Isreali comments at the UN?

Let me tell you something. I believe in free speech. But free speech has limits and consequence for me, free speech limit is when you are calling death on groups or individuals. Roseanne made a joke and that was all. It was nothing racist. The left should not be crying over black people getting fired for free speech while celebrating white people or other people who are not marginalized getting fired for off duty speech. It's either society call a spade or spade and on well. Or I don't like what you say, but you hold the right to say. Once you silence one, eventually you silence all. I hope the left wakes up and smell the coffee.
Rosanne was not joking when she attacked Valerie Jarrett, im not sure why you think she was.

As for Marc Lamont HIll, the argument for him is simply that what he said was not wrong, and on the surface, those defending him are 100% right.

His down fall is the verbiage. Just like its a dog whistle to call a black person a monkey/ape, I will cede the argument to the Jewish community when explaining the history of the phrase " from the river to the sea"

You seem to have thought I was one of those people that was going to defend Marc Lamont Hill, you were wrong.

Stick by your principles, if you believe in free speech, then you shouldnt be trying to make excuses for Rosanne , who again, wasnt joking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Finding bits of minutiae to condemn some and excuse others.
Not at all.

The world isnt black and white and these situations are not the same.

One person genuinely understood her mistake, and has worked towards being a better person over the 13 years since they wrote a homophobic comment ( her crime was actually just claiming people like Lindsey Graham are closeted and gay, which is wrong on many levels, but not what most people on this forum would label homophobic)

The other, in real time(2018), attacked a person of color by calling them an ape. And didnt even apologize immediately when called out on it.

Why pretend these are similar ?

Old 12-27-2018, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Well, then that's no good. Aside from the fact that lack of patriotism from fellow Americans dispirits me, this BS "movement" shows callous disregard for the countless number of Americans who hold the flag and anthem sacred.
Context and reasoning matter.

If you make the claim above and stick by it, then you have to do it from both sides and remember there are other issues that fit the same mold.

Old 12-27-2018, 01:27 AM

24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I already pointed out that 12 out of 32 NFL owners are Jewish meaning his slave master rant should be examined for that angle.
Lebron James, calls NFL owners slavemasters then praises Jewish businesses the very next day, unaware of the Jewish franchise owners in the NFL and NBA.

He's the gift that keeps on giving.

Old 12-27-2018, 03:01 AM

17,620 posts, read 6,908,038 times
I'm amused at all the left wing working class people defending millionaire Lebron James. Do you really think Lebron cares about you liberals and your miserable minimum wage lives? The answer is no.

Old 12-27-2018, 04:05 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Problem with Colin kapernick and the sjw conscious pro blacks is that. Since ck is black. He has the right to protest on the job and not face consequences. Sadly work places do not work like that. I on the job would love to say something racist, sexist or political. But when one signs such employee relationship contracts. It give the employer the right to fire for on the job beliefs of race sex and politics. I would love to take a knee at work and bad mouth America, and create a toxic work environment. But if I do such a thing, my employer reserves the right to terminate me.
Not going to disagree with anything you said but;

There were tons of players that protested just like Kap that still have jobs. Seems since he was the guy that started it the owners decided to make an example out of him to get others to stop, which of course did not happen.
Second of all the NFL operates under a "Collective Bargaining Agreement" in which there is nothing mandating players must stand for the NA.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:28 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Not going to disagree with anything you said but;

There were tons of players that protested just like Kap that still have jobs. Seems since he was the guy that started it the owners decided to make an example out of him to get others to stop, which of course did not happen.
Second of all the NFL operates under a "Collective Bargaining Agreement" in which there is nothing mandating players must stand for the NA.
But they does mean the owners of a business have to tolerate any behavior that isn't specifically addressed in the contract, especially when that behavior upsets half the customers and hurts sales?

Does it say that players must not give the Heil Hitler sign as they walk into the field? That's free speech too.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:30 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976;53987045[COLOR="Red"
]But they does mean the owners of a business have to tolerate any behavior that isn't specifically addressed in the contract,[/color] especially when that behavior upsets half the customers and hurts sales?

Does it say that players must not give the Heil Hitler sign as they walk into the field? That's free speech too.
Well actually the owners tried to make a rule that players on the field must stand for the NA, but the players assoc, or in reality players union rejected it. Yes the owners are worried about their bottom line as they should be but at the same time do not want to try to force something on the players that could leave them disgruntled in which could effect performance.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:16 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,429,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Not at all.

The world isnt black and white and these situations are not the same.

One person genuinely understood her mistake, and has worked towards being a better person over the 13 years since they wrote a homophobic comment ( her crime was actually just claiming people like Lindsey Graham are closeted and gay, which is wrong on many levels, but not what most people on this forum would label homophobic)

The other, in real time(2018), attacked a person of color by calling them an ape. And didnt even apologize immediately when called out on it.

Why pretend these are similar ?
Right? It's not like Reid put her finger to the wind and realized that her previous views aren't with Current Year attitudes, in order to stay highly paid with a MSM outlet. Sort of like Obama's stance on gay marriage (for it, then against it, then for it).

And Joy Reid, while apologizing, also tried the Clintonian technique of saying I did it but I really didn't do it. She said that her blog had been hacked by someone.

Last edited by Absolom; 12-27-2018 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: accuracy of events

Old 12-27-2018, 01:38 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Rosanne was not joking when she attacked Valerie Jarrett, im not sure why you think she was.

As for Marc Lamont HIll, the argument for him is simply that what he said was not wrong, and on the surface, those defending him are 100% right.

His down fall is the verbiage. Just like its a dog whistle to call a black person a monkey/ape, I will cede the argument to the Jewish community when explaining the history of the phrase " from the river to the sea"

You seem to have thought I was one of those people that was going to defend Marc Lamont Hill, you were wrong.

Stick by your principles, if you believe in free speech, then you shouldnt be trying to make excuses for Rosanne , who again, wasnt joking.
I guess you don't believe in comedy. Roseanne did not know Valarie Jarret was black. She was born in Iran prior to the Islamic revolution. I guess you don't believe in free speech. And hate speech and free speech are two different forms of speech right? I'm sorry speech annoys you. Thier is a huge difference between being a racist vs being a di*ck vs speaking the truth vs being a comic. I hope you know of that. If you don't. Please go seek help.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 12-27-2018 at 01:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies