Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2018, 01:26 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Elections have consequences. Trump and the Right should know that. Right now, 30% more American disapprove of Trump than approve. Those are BIG numbers.

Trump and the Right "do" know that.

We are coming so close to the 25th amendment, that I doubt many people even know that it exists.

Quote:
The 25th amendment allows for the Vice President to become president in the event of death, resignation, removal from office or impairment that prevents the current president from fulfilling his or her duties.

Old 12-26-2018, 01:31 PM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Number one is to stop baiting illegal entry with current legislation. Much of the legislation, border patrol staffing, process and procedure was put in place to deal with exceptions and occasional illegal entry, not mass exodus from central America and mexico.

While building a barrier the legislation demands to be changed to reflect current conditions and eliminate baiting illegal entry.

build the 'wall' where it can be built today and let the property of those who resist be the welcome matt for illegal aliens violating our laws.

Liberals do not think the wall is stupid....they supported building the wall until Hillary lost the 2016 election.

Annex Mexico!

Old 12-26-2018, 01:34 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
The wall is a visible symbol of a stand against illegal immigration which Trump made the cornerstone of his campaign in 2016. Of course he could have had his funding in April 2016 but chose not to push it through - because he cares more about symbols than results.

We already have walls/fences where logistically feasible to build. Completing a newer, larger, single design-type of barrier will take years and years and billions of dollars and most experts say it won't accomplish much (even seasoned CBP agents say this).

You want to dry up immigration - stop making it so easy for illegal immigrants to live and thrive in the US. Better management, better enforcement along with comprehensive immigration reform by congress and people coming in (and living here) illegally will reduce to a trickle.

Do I have to correct this nonsense once again. Trump wanted the $25 billion up front not in 10 year increments. He also wanted to end the visa lottery and chain migration nonsense. He offered DACA in exchange. The Democrats refused the deal.

No, in many places there are fences that are breachable. They are not the double barriers that congress promised back in 2006. Who are these so-called experts? And of course the wall will take a few years to complete. Is that reason not to build it? The experts I believe in are the Border Patrol and Homeland Security and they want the wall improvements as they say they do work and I have posted many links proving that they do also.

Sure remove the incentives for illegal aliens to keep coming here but there are others reasons that they come here besides jobs. Better to deter them all at the border than to allow them to get into our country where they are much harder to weed out and more expensive to do so.

Comprehensive immigration reform? That is a well known coined phrase for another mass amnesty. Oh that worked out so well the last time we did that, didn't it? How are Americans to get their jobs back and reduce our population numbers which will put less stress on our natural and social resources and alleviate the overcrowding of our schools, jails, hospitals, neighborhoods and roads with another amnesty only this time around it will be quadruple the number. No thanks, that's no solution for the American people at all!

Old 12-26-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I don't think there is any reason to think it is a very good deterrent to anything important. In light of very serious issues facing our country, for a very long time, illegal immigration from the south has been a distraction issue by the republican party. It is a philosophical hot button for people ignorant of the real impact of it. They are basically pissed that they have to obey the law, and someone else is getting away with something. Even the teeny amount of money that might squeak out of the system in favor of an illegal immigrant pisses them off, no matter what the teeny impact to the federal budget really is. That there is even ONE of them that EVER commits a crime is abhorrent on a philosophical level that outstripes the actual impact of the illegal immigration impact on crime over all. Seeing the bigger impact in terms of things like produce prices, alternatives to criminalization of asylum seekers like holding employers responsible... are roundly ignored because the underlying objection to illegal immigration is not rooted in any actual notable detriment to country.

So the cost of illegal aliens being over $100 billion a year is a "teeny" little amount to you?

No one is ignoring anything. We want a total solution to illegal immigration which should include the wall.

Produce prices? Don't make me laugh! Only 2-4% of illegals are picking produce and their employers just pocket the profits from their cheap, illegal workers. There are unlimited visas for legal, foreign farm workers so there is no excuse to hire illegal aliens except for pure greed on the part of those who hire them. Educate yourself on this issue.

Old 12-26-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Most of where they want to build it is private property. Those people won't surrender the property without a court fight. It would drag on for years.

Most? Got a link to that? If they do don't want a wall built on their property they can just deal with the illegal trespassers, criminals and the drug cartels all by themselves then as they will just funnel right through their properties. They'd be screaming for a wall in no time.

Old 12-26-2018, 01:48 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,028,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Because it's stupid.
That explains why obama put one around his new home in DC.

Old 12-26-2018, 01:48 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,506,057 times
On the subject of border-abutting private property, look up "Roosevelt Reservation". The US holds a 60-foot easement on the American side of the US-Mexico border. That certainly does not cover the entire length of proposed wall land needed, but it covers one heck of a lot of it.

Old 12-26-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
I don’t agree with your musings about Trump making this wall a monument to himself because the wall has existed for many, many years. It simply needs expansion in trouble-prone areas. We have a problem along our southern border, plain and simple, and we need to work harder to stop it.

I do agree that Everify is a vital step in helping the problem. It will go a long way in cutting down the problem, but it won’t stop it at all. Plenty of illegal immigrants come here with zero intention of becoming legal in the first place. They are perfectly happy to work under the table for cash and once the kids start coming, the kids are eligible for a number of services that benefit the entire family. Many illegal immigrants intend to, and do, return home to their native countries once they have become financially stable enough to live well back home.

It will take a multi-prong approach to stem the flow of illegal immigration into the US, including a wall, Everify, and better supervision over visa holders. I don’t know why people disagree so much over this, I suspect it’s just purely partisan bickery.

Your posts are well spoken and truthful. Too bad they will fall on deaf ears with these anti-wall people with TDS but it's more than partisan bickery they have an ulterior motive and agenda of which I described in here before and that's why I fight so hard. These people are a danger to our country.

Old 12-26-2018, 01:57 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
Do you have a link to show/prove this? My google-fu doesn’t pull up anything.

Google what? Do you really need a link to know that the caravaners went to Tijuana? Try a couple thousand news articles. Or is it that they were organized by Pueblo Sin Fronteras (PSF)? Try a couple hundred news articles. So it must be the part that this is the strongest part of the border.

Well this is the area that was enhanced in 2006 and just significantly upgraded this year, shortly *before* the caravan formed.

http://laprensa-sandiego.org/feature...ico-completed/

Of all the 2000 miles of border, they went to the short section that was just upgraded. This tells me that PSF was not concerned with the interests of the migrants but in making a political statement. If they wanted to get the migrants across, there are plenty of places along the border that would have been virtually impossible to prevent them from crossing. I think they specifically targeted the newly upgraded section because they thought thousands would be able to swarm across and a visible statement could have been made that "your new walls don't work". And when they did work - handfuls made it across but most did not - they abandoned the migrants instead of leading them to a less protected border crossing. But they didn't because they didn't want the migrants crossing elsewhere. If the migrants failed to breach the border in the newly upgraded section but made it across in another section, that would have been a visible statement that we need to expand that Tijuana wall.

Old 12-26-2018, 02:12 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,506,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Your posts are well spoken and truthful. Too bad they will fall on deaf ears with these anti-wall people with TDS but it's more than partisan bickery they have an ulterior motive and agenda of which I described in here before and that's why I fight so hard. These people are a danger to our country.
That's kind of you, thank you.

This is a topic that I have a wide body of knowledge on, and one that I am certain requires a bipartisan effort to fix. I think it's very important to stick to data and facts, and stop allowing "team spirit" to dictate the solution (or lack of). Both parties have voraciously acknowledged and mutually agreed to various funding and fixes over the years for this problem and it's past time for them to get their crap together now and fix it. I'm tired of watching Americans wage war with one another over something that we ought to be clobbering our broken political system over instead. But as long as we're happy creating a civil war over this crap, they can continue to get absolutely nothing done.

Wake up, America. WAKE. UP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies