Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2018, 06:31 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
Security is dealt with through screening...
Screen them? How? They claim they have no ID, no birth certificate, etc. They can say whatever they want about who and how old they are. And to top that off, they're coming from third world countries which have no records on them, as well. There is NO way to "screen" them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 06:35 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The correct answer is "nothing". We shouldn't give up anything but should only spend any excess $ on humanitarian efforts while still protecting our way of life.

This is what I anticipated.

Resources are not unlimited, and when one spends and increasing amount of the annual budget on illegals, cuts will have to occur somewhere.

One's conviction to the cause of the illegals is somewhat shallow if you are not willing to accept any personal sacrifice yourself. In that regard, you actually privately harbor the same views as conservatives, yet publically voice another to assuage a guilty conscience.

Logic dictates the following:

1. illegals cost money

2. the resources of the US are not unlimited

3. with expanding expenditures on illegals, that money will not be available for other US programs

4. the programs that receive less money/cuts are services that directly affect YOU as a US citizen

5. By supporting the illegals, YOU are going to receive less in the form of government services/benefits, whether you like it or not.

6. the financial burden of supporting the illegals will not fall on "the rich", but YOU.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:48 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack2000 View Post
The military. $700 billion to $600 billion. $100 billion/year saved.

Thanks, next question.
What a stupid answer.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:30 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I second this! More money is wasted in our military machine than anywhere else.
And if the military budget is cut as suggested which bases should be closed or reduce down? Should we start with those in your home state, how about the all the other jobs, industries and services that exist because of the support they provide to the military? Should we just eliminate their livelihood because you and others deem military spending to be too much.

There is a lot more to it than bullets, boats and planes.......

Old 12-28-2018, 10:30 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
And if the military budget is cut as suggested which bases should be closed or reduce down? Should we start with those in your home state, how about the all the other jobs, industries and services that exist because of the support they provide to the military? Should we just eliminate their livelihood because you and others deem military spending to be too much.

There is a lot more to it than bullets, boats and planes.......
We shouldn't be killing tens of thousands of innocent people to keep people in jobs.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:33 AM

193 posts, read 69,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
Proof?

They're paying rent, so RE taxes are being paid. I'd assume at least some of them are paying income taxes too.

I haven't seen anyone post a link actually showing the actual costs of having an illegal -- what they receive in benefits vs what they pay in.

I've seen this statement numerous times, that illegals are paying taxes. Can someone please explain how in the heck they are paying taxes without a SSN?? I am honestly curious to know how this works as I was always under the impression that the whole premise of "cheap labor" was that employers can pay them under the table because no one is paying taxes...or am I wrong??

Old 12-28-2018, 11:15 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixlets82 View Post
I've seen this statement numerous times, that illegals are paying taxes. Can someone please explain how in the heck they are paying taxes without a SSN??
I'm going to make this political. The argument is that when a Trump company hires an illegal it's hard to catch as they are using bogus I.D. I do not buy that either but that is the argument. So either they are, or the excuses all around are lies.

Quote:
I am honestly curious to know how this works as I was always under the impression that the whole premise of "cheap labor" was that employers can pay them under the table because no one is paying taxes...or am I wrong??
No, you aren't wrong. They do spend money here which does create jobs here and adds to the states in sales taxes.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:49 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
We shouldn't be killing tens of thousands of innocent people to keep people in jobs.
And where is this occurring?

Old 12-28-2018, 12:56 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times
Farm subsidies to multi-national agribusinesses.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:58 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I second this! More money is wasted in our military machine than anywhere else.
Great now which missions would you end or reduce?
Syria? I am for that.
Yemen? I would be for that.
Afghanistan? Let's do it.
How about we pull our troops from Turkey? Lets do it.

There are a lot of cash cow earmarks loved by politicians on both sides. Lets eliminate them too.

We can still do the above and hammer illegals and those who hire them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies