Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 11:30 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,723,533 times

Advertisements

Usually hotel lobbies are not only for paying guests anyway. People walk in and go to the gift shop, go to the coffee shop, stop at the bar, etc. Some people sit in hotel lobbies to met with their friends. My son travels very frequently for tournaments (like 15-20 times per year) and will often hang out in one hotel lobby with a smaller or larger group of his friends who are staying at nearby hotels. It could be three of them or a dozen of them. As long as they are quiet, nobody seems to care. And they have done this at nicer hotels like the Marriott or Doubletree as well as in lower-end hotels like Best Western or the Hampton Inn.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:51 AM

45,545 posts, read 27,160,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This ain’t clickbait. It happened, and it’s pretty damn egregious.
Not addressing you directly, but your post in general...

It should be egregious whenever people are assumed as guilty without proving wrongdoing.

It could be this black guy in a hotel... it could be Brett Kavanaugh.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:58 AM

9,138 posts, read 5,800,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Yes, you’d think that would work, wouldn’t you?

But this security guard and employers don’t want to admit that they’ve acted like racists, so they double down, and act stupid on top of acting racist.

(Crosses Doubletree off my list of places to stay. Undoubtedly not the only one doing so.)
Gee, if you write off every multi-national mega hotel chain because of the
actions of a single security guard, you may have a hard time finding a room.
Good luck to you.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:06 PM

79,914 posts, read 44,178,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Gee, if you write off every multi-national mega hotel chain because of the
actions of a single security guard, you may have a hard time finding a room.
Good luck to you.
This wasn't the actions of a single security guard. You can argue it was the actions of one hotel but it was more than one security guard.

Old 12-28-2018, 01:03 PM

1,675 posts, read 576,435 times
The guy let the situation escalate because he was profiled. Probably didn't want to tell the security guard what room he was staying at, so the guard call the cops. I understand why he would make a big deal about it, but had he been a mature person, he would have cooperated from the beginning and let them be racist without calling attention, he would not have been kicked out of the hotel. He got his minute of fame and proved that racism is alive and well.

Old 12-28-2018, 01:05 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The article doesn't say that and the video even shows him showing them his card with room number. It never fails that threads like this have people simply making things up.

I have to hope it's the sites attempt at increasing post counts as opposed to the claim of some that the site is full of racists.
I already linked to other sources that contain more detail about the event. Surely you aren't taking only this one guy's word and a snippet of a video which is started well into the confrontation after things were already "hot" as the only truth in this scenario.

Old 12-28-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Looks like that didn't work out the way you think it should have.
I don't know what Earl the Security Guard was thinking or how Massey acted prior to all this. I do know that Earl asked what room Massey was staying in and while still on the phone, Massey told him "I don't know." Massey didn't present the key till the manager showed up.

Old 12-28-2018, 01:11 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,184,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
The guy let the situation escalate because he was profiled. Probably didn't want to tell the security guard what room he was staying at, so the guard call the cops. I understand why he would make a big deal about it, but had he been a mature person, he would have cooperated from the beginning and let them be racist without calling attention, he would not have been kicked out of the hotel. He got his minute of fame and proved that racism is alive and well.
I think this is a good thing, and I don't think it is a mature person who takes this sort of thing on the chin for the sake of pleasantness. Calling attention to racism is a Good Thing. Suffering in silence simply allows it to continue with many, like we see on this board, able to pretend it does not exist.

Old 12-28-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Usually hotel lobbies are not only for paying guests anyway. People walk in and go to the gift shop, go to the coffee shop, stop at the bar, etc. Some people sit in hotel lobbies to met with their friends. My son travels very frequently for tournaments (like 15-20 times per year) and will often hang out in one hotel lobby with a smaller or larger group of his friends who are staying at nearby hotels. It could be three of them or a dozen of them. As long as they are quiet, nobody seems to care. And they have done this at nicer hotels like the Marriott or Doubletree as well as in lower-end hotels like Best Western or the Hampton Inn.
We don't know whether or not Massey was being loud or quiet. We do know this though:

1. The hotel is downtown in an area with a homeless problem - hence the security guard. Generally speaking, Doubletree guests don't want the lobby to be a flop house for the local homeless population.

2. Massey was dressed very casually and had his feet up on the sofa and was talking on the phone. When he was approached, he did not initially offer any proof that he was a guest - he said in fact that he didn't remember his room number. This could have been avoided had he simply shown his key - which was in a packet, with the room number clearly marked on it. But he didn't do that, and became annoyed quickly and then whipped out his phone and started recording stuff, and yelling and claiming that he was a former FBI agent. (Anyone know anything about that yet? I can't find anything on his Instagram page though I do see TONS of photos of partying going on.)

According to his Instagram page, Massey travels a LOT. A whole lot. Internationally. Apparently to some very expensive locales. He should know how to behave in a Doubletree hotel lobby.

Old 12-28-2018, 01:17 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This ain’t clickbait. It happened, and it’s pretty damn egregious.
All I’m saying is if the same thing happens to a white guy you will never hear about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies