Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2018, 09:38 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
From what the media chose to show us, no. None of us were there though to see what really happened.

Speculation on my though: You calmly show everyone your key card...the manager, the rent a cop, the police. They then proceed to kick you out of the hotel for no other reason than being black? Sounds unlikely sorry.
Exactly.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:42 AM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
The good news is: 324,999,999 people did not call the police on a black person or a person of color today. Creating hysteria anxiety over very few incidences in daily life is overwrought and, ultimately, not representative. Yes, stuff happens. This is the stuff of Life.

We, many of us, are insulted daily, are ignored daily, suffer indignities daily, are short-sheeted daily, are dehumanized, daily. Perhaps you don't believe this. Believe it. Plus, White people treat other white people with just as much disrespect as anyone of any color treats each other in daily life.

Life is sometimes fair, sometimes not. How you react is what matters. Don't let the rotten apples infect you.

All these blah blah being said, let's face this fact. When you are a white person calling cops on a black person, turned out the black person did not do anything wrong. You the white person would be fired and your face would be on ALL major network, is it worth it? Probably not. This country does not give people second chance, there is no, "oops, Sorry I made a mistake." I doubt race relationship (whatever that means) will improve anytime soon, no matter who is the president.

Somehow, I doubt all these white folks are racists. Do they all deserve to be labeled racist and be fired? no. But this sadly is the reality.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:44 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,440,051 times
It's hilarious watching people get worked up about a situation they have no idea about. They see a portion of a video and just believe what they are told without even knowing a single fact. This is what passes for "intelligent" and "intellectual" these days while they are being used as the useful idiot that they really are. People today are so easy to manipulate. It's an embarrassment.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:45 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
If this man behaved criminally -- the police should have charged him.

He didn't. He may have been loud. He may have been insulted.

He should have been.
No one said he broke any laws. Police come and remove people from places all the time w/o arresting them. The manager didn't want him arrested. What he really wanted and asked for many times was for Massey to calm down and stop shouting. He didn't even want to have to have police remove him.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:03 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
The good news is: 324,999,999 people did not call the police on a black person or a person of color today. Creating hysteria anxiety over very few incidences in daily life is overwrought and, ultimately, not representative. Yes, stuff happens. This is the stuff of Life.

We, many of us, are insulted daily, are ignored daily, suffer indignities daily, are short-sheeted daily, are dehumanized, daily. Perhaps you don't believe this. Believe it. Plus, White people treat other white people with just as much disrespect as anyone of any color treats each other in daily life.

Life is sometimes fair, sometimes not. How you react is what matters. Don't let the rotten apples infect you.

All these blah blah being said, let's face this fact. When you are a white person calling cops on a black person, turned out the black person did not do anything wrong. You the white person would be fired and your face would be on ALL major network, is it worth it? Probably not. This country does not give people second chance, there is no, "oops, Sorry I made a mistake." I doubt race relationship (whatever that means) will improve anytime soon, no matter who is the president.

Somehow, I doubt all these white folks are racists. Do they all deserve to be labeled racist and be fired? no. But this sadly is the reality.
All White's do not have to be racist. Just those with the power.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:04 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
No one said he broke any laws. Police come and remove people from places all the time w/o arresting them. The manager didn't want him arrested. What he really wanted and asked for many times was for Massey to calm down and stop shouting. He didn't even want to have to have police remove him.
We wanted him to know his place.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:06 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
So one generations racism results in deification on blacks and their communities and the subsequent generation then has grounds to stereotype blacks based upon the stench left over as the aftermath of being defecated on, which allows for the rationalization of current racism. That logic is called self perpetuating racism. Ergo, racism refueled and re-justified from the aftermath/reaction to that manifest from past racism.

Yes, you are correct in how the mind works. However, I don't think most people study statics on crime and what race commits them. I think that simply gets ingrained from media accounts of crime and yes, violent crime in the media tends to have a black face, which might comport with statistics.

Black people can't get themselves together short of black people targeting and focusing on other black people. Target and focus on blacks has the corollary of discriminating against other groups. Its the discrimination of opportunity cost. Every moment or dollar focused in one direction is a dollar or moment denied another direction. White racism will not allow this because white racism will claim double standards and that if blacks can favor and lift up blacks then whites should be allowed to legally favor and uplift whites, which is the situation that crippled blacks originally. America has ALWAYS feared black UNITY. Black UNITY is the CHANGE that will bring forth our progress at this point, but America fears black unity.

You don't fix problems without focused discrimination. If you break a leg.....you can't expect the leg to get better if you try to treat them the same. One leg, for a period of time, will have to get the special attention and care until it can support being treated like the other leg. Attempting to do that in America would fail because the other leg is white and would complain that the black leg deserves no more attention than it and should not be given special consideration. The white leg will tell stories of how when it was broken, just like the black leg, that it "healed itself" with no special attention, just hard work. It never limped our complained of pain.....so it says. It did not even need a caste or was ever immobilized.

May be you are right but I tend to disagree when you gave the example of a broken leg, and special treatment for blacks because of slavery that existed 200 years ago.

IMO, the social setup of United States provides a pretty large ground of fair play for all. There could be some hurdles on the very top, but its pretty much a fair game on the middle or lower class level.

You work hard and your work smart, and you can earn enough to live a reasonably good life - regardless of your skin color, and without the need of selling or buying drugs, or getting involved into any criminal activity.

This is not a rocket science to understand, and you don’t have to be a rocket scientist to earn $60K a year.

I mean, a friend earned a two years diploma in ultra sound tech, after her high school, and she got a $60K job. What are we talking about here? How hard is this?

IMO, No matter who you are, and what’s your skin color, if you complete a four year college, you usually get a job.

And to treat the broken leg (if we follow your example), then we are already doing so. Many schools and colleges have special quota of seats reserved for minorities - I mean heck, even Harvard and Yale offer such opportunities.

I am not black and I am not white either. I arrived into United States as a kid with a legal immigrant family from South Asia. This was 30 years ago.

We didn’t have a free living apartment in a section 8 building or any subsidized housing, we didn’t get any monthly EBT checks or food stamps - matter of fact we did not know that these welfare programs even exist - and if we did, we would’ve had no intention to suck on social welfare. Why? Because we had dreams, and we had goals towards which we were ready to work hard.

We all (6 siblings) took part time jobs and went full time to school and earned college and/or university degrees, and we all landed on good paying jobs to earn a good life.

My experience has been a good one - perhaps I got lucky? May be.
But I still believe that in USA, the opportunities to a reasonably good life, in general, are a fair play for all.

Many good black citizens have proven it in all walks of life. You work hard and you will get it. There isn’t really a need to make wrong choices and take wrong paths - seriously there isn’t!!

What special treatment you will extend to a 25 year old super fit and VERY energetic, who wears brand new Nike sneakers, brand name shirts and gold chains, and plays basket ball all day in the sports court of section 8 buildings BUT doesn’t work or go to school because EBT checks take care of the basic needs - and in some cases, drug trade earns the extra gravy - something that you call, “a broken leg”.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:06 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Good God........ You remind me of women I met after my divorce many years ago. They were 'bruised' by past relationships. This made them into what I called 'what do you mean by that' women.

I would talk with some of these women in social situations, and they would say to me 'what do you mean by that?' I didn't mean anything. They were looking to be offended, in self defence from what had happened to them in the past.

Whenever I came across a 'what do you mean by that' woman, I moved swiftly on. Life is too short to be dealing with crap.

I bet white people avoid you like the plague. Most are pretty fed up of folks like you always looking to be offended.
As Indentured Servant stated, this is a perfect example of hypersensitivity that he says white people should have expectations of.

What he's not quite understanding is that the consequence for this is complete avoidance. You can't advocate for hypersensitivity and then in the next breath wonder why black employment rate is down or why people who aren't black may not be in a hurry to engage with you, or why people roll their eyes and stop listening at the next 'I'm offended' narrative. Actions have consequences for everyone, not just white folks.

Hypersensitivity on the part of one side leads to apathy on the other.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:14 AM

16,545 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Racial chip on shoulder... aka... knowledge of history. To not know the racist history of this country and not link the past to the present......is to not have a racial chip on their shoulder.
LOL

I am not going to get into another circular discussion with you on this subject, but for others reading this who have black friends, co-workers, neighbors, etc., most are not devoid of historical knowledge.
The difference between most of them and those who do carry around a chip, is that their present life, dreams, and ambitions are not enhanced by the hate, grievance, and general unpleasantness of carrying such a burden.
They do not expect reparations or special treatment, and wish to get by on their own merit. More importantly they are thankful for being in this country as Americans, and all the opportunities it has to offer all American citizens.

I have wondered one thing recently about you. Does it bother you when you encounter a fellow black person who does not share your anger/resentment of how your ancestors were treated?
I ask because you seem so invested in it, and for those who let it slide off their back as so much water on a ducks feathers, does that gall you?

`

Old 12-31-2018, 10:18 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
I'm on the fence about these type of situations, as every one is a bit different. It's just too easy to call security "racist" for asking someone if they are a guest in the hotel, and the person being asked is intentionally deceptive about who they are and what they are doing, all to provoke a reaction.

Like MPowering said, hypersensitivity leads to apathy on the part of the rest of us who are being bombarded with stories like these.

Some, in fact most, are genuine examples of racial bias, but some seem manipulated to appear that way on the part of the "offended". And without going thru all 40 pages, has anyone mentioned Hallway Harry?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy73I2re7mI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies