Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2018, 10:49 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
No, he is not. For that matter, I don't think he is the president of his base (the really committed people). He'd throw them under the bus in a heartbeat if it suited him.
Which would make him just another in a long line of presidents. When people said that "Obama is not my president" they were correct?

Quote:
I am not a federal worker, but I think this pay freeze is terrible. Terrible optics, too. Does he really think all federal workers are not his support, and that all his base hates people who work for a living in government?
Probably.

Quote:
How about that tax cut, now there's a place to save some money.
Technically that would be raising money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
And who, then, is employing these millions upon millions?

Surely, not people who want them deported.
No, it's largely those yelling the loudest for a wall. It's a "hey, look over there" tactic.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:50 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,589 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
That just isn't true, if Americans didn't want to build a wall along our Southern Border Donald Trump wouldn't be the President of the United States right now. Perhaps it's you that needs to brush up on civics.
Less than 25% of the adults in this country voted for Trump.

So maybe instead of Civics, you should brush up on math?

The overwhelming majority of adults in the US did NOT vote for Trump. And yet, here we are, with those who back him not knowing that.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
That just isn't true, if Americans didn't want to build a wall along our Southern Border Donald Trump wouldn't be the President of the United States right now. Perhaps it's you that needs to brush up on civics.
If the (D)'s had picked anyone other than Hillary, Trump wouldn't be president.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Wouldnt that be the responsibility of law enforcement then?
In general no. It would be the responsibility of the Federal Government but those who are in charge have no desire to actually do so. You'll get a random action here or there to appease people but they aren't interesting in stopping the low wage train.

Quote:
Why are they not enforcing the laws against hiring illegals? They have no problem 'doing their job' in relation to enforcing other laws, why not this one?
Because Wall Street doesn't want it to happen.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:54 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
That's just common sense and you're making stuff up about claimed dependency, or whatever your handlers are telling you. I think everyone knows most parts of the government, with the exception of SS, the IRS, and VA, don't touch the population directly. It's predominantly indirect and would take several weeks of degradation before the effects would trickle down.
Common sense isn't that common. Some people seem to think that "the government" just means dependency "takers."

Yeah, how about that Coast Guard and all?

How narrow does one's view have to be to say, gee, the shutdown hasn't bothered me so it must be okay?!

I am not a Trump supporter, to put it mildly, and I might have voted Republican if the national party wasn't so against women's reproductive rights, or with Bush and now Trump, some kind of fiscal restraint (permanent tax cuts for the wealthy, short-term cuts if that for the little people). Where is the Republican Party of the past, and how has it been hijacked to this current version?

Old 12-29-2018, 11:27 AM

4,252 posts, read 3,170,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
The issue for me is demonizing Americans. Americans that aren't even political. We are just sitting there and he has decided he doesn't like us. Federal employees can't bargain for their worth. You could be the best employee ever and you can't go to the boss and say, hey I am doing great... give me a raise. They will point you to the yearly cost of living raise. Which isn't even that much. And now we don't even get that? We have had freezes before recently and never got the money back.

If this was the consequence of some major thing like a major tax cut for me or getting funding for the wall, maybe I would be ok with it. But this is just spiteful.

Well Trump, I can be spiteful too. Can't wait to order a new 2K desk for my office next year.
One can always go into the private sector if unhappy with the current circumstances! From the tone of your posts in this thread, you NEVER intended to vote for Trump in 2020...come clean!

As far as ordering that 2k desk....well the taxpayers thank you! It is wasteful crap like that serves as an example of why government needs to be smaller....much smaller!

Old 12-29-2018, 11:30 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Private sector here. Got a nice 6% pay increase to my already 6 figures salary. LOL

I firmly believe that the public sector ought to be following the same rules as the private sector. If the company can't afford to give you a pay increase, then you shouldn't get a pay increase. If Mexico won't pay for the wall, then federal workers shouldn't get a pay increase because we all know eventually Trump will get his wall and make American taxpayers pay for it.
Yea, the reason I left the federal government years ago.

And I have some friends the work for the federal government, they were actually all giddy about getting their whopping $500 bonus this year, lol.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:30 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
One can always go into the private sector if unhappy with the current circumstances! From the tone of your posts in this thread, you NEVER intended to vote for Trump in 2020...come clean!

As far as ordering that 2k desk....well the taxpayers thank you! It is wasteful crap like that serves as an example of why government needs to be smaller....much smaller!
I'm pretty sure she's joking about the $2K desk. 99% of government workers aren't allowed to order their own furniture--you get what they give you out of storage. It's only the political appointees that get to do crazy stuff like that.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:37 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
It does. But instead of actually doing that... getting rid of the waste and the poor employees instead we punish all of them with wage cuts.

So I will work the system in front of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies