Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 06:39 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I ran through your links quickly but did not see this one.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2014...ent-first-time

You mention that for some 3 to 5% of vaccinated people their vaccinations will not work. This article states that two of the people who caught measles from her were fully vaccinated. A couple of others weren't vaccinated but were presumed immune from prior exposure. Born before 1957 and presumed immune? That figure equates to millions of us US Seniors.

How would you ever expect to eliminate this? Show your vaccination papers? Would not have worked in this case. Blood tests for every person, International Traveler or US Citizen, entering or coming back into the US, regardless of vaccination status?

Close our Southern Border? Maybe you need to close all our borders; Nobody comes into the US, and no US Citizens can leave and come back.

Edit: Your list included a Reststop in Pa. where someone with measles had travelled. I know where that was and my husband stopped there to use the facilities on our way home last year. Sorry, but we elderly people aren't worried because we trust our natural immunity to measles having had it as children.
The report you linked to is the only case ever of someone who was fully vaccinated catching and giving measles to someone else. The. Only. One. The issue was infecting someone else, not actually catching measles, since a small percentage of people are not protected by the vaccine.

Requiring proof of immunity would reduce the risk of importing measles to almost zero. Proof could be age, immunization record, or the result of a blood test.

From your own link:

"The most important ‘vaccine failure’ with measles happens when people refuse the vaccine in the first place.”

As you have been told repeatedly, yes, those of us who had measles are immune. We got sick in order to become immune. Those who are vaccinated are immune without getting sick. Many of those who got sick have permanent disabilities from the disease. For those who died immunity is a moot point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I'm confused.

How did he put anyone at risk? People who want vaccines, get them. People who don't, don't.

What am I missing? Frankly the only person he put at risk for sickness was himself, in that he has a compromised immune system and could've picked up another virus/bacteria and made HIMSELF sicker.

People who believe in vaccines have no worries. This should not concern them in the least. People who choose not to get them know the risks, and again, should not be concerned either.
Which "he" are you talking about? There was no mention of any of the people with measles in the OP having a "compromised immune system."

"People who believe in vaccines" worry about the babies to young to be vaccinated, those who are indeed immunosuppressed, and the small percentage for whom the vaccine does not work.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
I'm confused.

How did he put anyone at risk? People who want vaccines, get them. People who don't, don't.

What am I missing? Frankly the only person he put at risk for sickness was himself, in that he has a compromised immune system and could've picked up another virus/bacteria and made HIMSELF sicker.

People who believe in vaccines have no worries. This should not concern them in the least. People who choose not to get them know the risks, and again, should not be concerned either.
I agree with suzy's response, and I for the life of me can't figure out who "he" is either. You have been told many times over that people with measles are communicable for several days before the rash appears. It may take another day or two to get diagnosed and properly isolate oneself. In the better part of a week, a lot of people can be exposed. People, who, you've also been told many times over, may be immunocompromised, too young to get vaccinated, or among the few who either have valid medical reasons for not getting vaccinated or for whom the vaccine did not take.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:14 AM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Quote:
I'm confused.

I assume that since the OT is about a traveler from Brussels, the "he" you are refusing to is this person. Not Rocket Science. Easier to just type he than traveler from Brussels.

The problem is not illegal migrants coming from South of the Borders but travelers (foreign and US Citizens) going to and from Europe where there are outbreaks of Measles. Suzy's list shows that.

Requiring vaccination records coming into the US for both citizens and foreigners? Will this show if a person is immune compromised or in the 3 to 5% of vaccinated people for whom the vaccine did not work? How would one know that? Require a blood test at airports for everyone? That is not going to happen with millions of travelers. There is always going to be someone who will slip through the cracks, even those fully vaccinated.

Close our Southern Border? Maybe we need to close off the US entirely so no Foreigner or US citizen might bring some deadly disease back from England, Italy, France, etc.? Why is it always the vaccinated who are most terrified of these diseases like Measles, Chicken Pox, and now the FLU?

Old 12-31-2018, 06:49 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I agree with suzy's response, and I for the life of me can't figure out who "he" is either. You have been told many times over that people with measles are communicable for several days before the rash appears. It may take another day or two to get diagnosed and properly isolate oneself. In the better part of a week, a lot of people can be exposed. People, who, you've also been told many times over, may be immunocompromised, too young to get vaccinated, or among the few who either have valid medical reasons for not getting vaccinated or for whom the vaccine did not take.
"The traveler" is the one who is sick. He is immunocompromised and put himself at risk for further illness.

If your immune system is so badly compromised that you are afraid of getting sick? You shouldn't be traveling on an international flight. That's just common sense.

People who take no responsibility for their own health decisions, as in knowing when to stay home if they are afraid of getting sick? Often find themselves sick. /shrug/

The only person you control? Is you.

PS. Are you still for mandatory vaccinations? Are you going to sequester all those who cannot get vaccinated for medical reasons? I mean they could infect others too. Those babies too young, they could infect others too.

>>Are you still for mandatory vaccinations?<< OR still refuse to answer the question?

Old 12-31-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I assume that since the OT is about a traveler from Brussels, the "he" you are refusing to is this person. Not Rocket Science. Easier to just type he than traveler from Brussels.

The problem is not illegal migrants coming from South of the Borders but travelers (foreign and US Citizens) going to and from Europe where there are outbreaks of Measles. Suzy's list shows that.

Requiring vaccination records coming into the US for both citizens and foreigners? Will this show if a person is immune compromised or in the 3 to 5% of vaccinated people for whom the vaccine did not work? How would one know that? Require a blood test at airports for everyone? That is not going to happen with millions of travelers. There is always going to be someone who will slip through the cracks, even those fully vaccinated.

Close our Southern Border? Maybe we need to close off the US entirely so no Foreigner or US citizen might bring some deadly disease back from England, Italy, France, etc.? Why is it always the vaccinated who are most terrified of these diseases like Measles, Chicken Pox, and now the FLU?
This thread has gone back and forth talking about both Europe and Central/South America; it's no wonder some of us have gotten confused.

Requiring vaccination records would show that 95%-97% of people are immune to measles. That is a high enough number to stop outbreaks of the disease. If you're looking for perfection, you will have to wait until you're in another place other than planet earth.

I don't see any pro-vax people suggesting closing the southern border, as we all know that measles is not coming from there.

There is good reason to be afraid of vaccine-preventable diseases. They have caused much death and disability in the past, particularly, but not limited to, measles and flu.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
"The traveler" is the one who is sick. He is immunocompromised and put himself at risk for further illness.

If your immune system is so badly compromised that you are afraid of getting sick? You shouldn't be traveling on an international flight. That's just common sense.

People who take no responsibility for their own health decisions, as in knowing when to stay home if they are afraid of getting sick? Often find themselves sick. /shrug/

The only person you control? Is you.

PS. Are you still for mandatory vaccinations? Are you going to sequester all those who cannot get vaccinated for medical reasons? I mean they could infect others too. Those babies too young, they could infect others too.

>>Are you still for mandatory vaccinations?<< OR still refuse to answer the question?
I agree that people who are ill with communicable diseases should not be flying, on an international flight or one from Denver to Colorado Springs for that matter.

I have never said I was for "mandatory" vaccinations, so I don't know how I could "still" be for them. I have never recommended the type of sequestration you are suggesting. You have not said what you mean by mandatory vaccinations, either.

Old 12-31-2018, 08:41 AM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I agree that people who are ill with communicable diseases should not be flying, on an international flight or one from Denver to Colorado Springs for that matter.

I have never said I was for "mandatory" vaccinations, so I don't know how I could "still" be for them. I have never recommended the type of sequestration you are suggesting. You have not said what you mean by mandatory vaccinations, either.
Again, you and Venice are not communicating. Venice is saying that immune compromised people should not be flying on plane if they are so AFRAID of catching some disease. You have turned this into people who HAVE a disease should not be flying. Totally different. ALL immune compromised people are carrying some deadly disease? Did this traveler KNOW he had measles before he got on that flight without any symptoms appearing before hand?

I once flew on a plane from NY to Florida and sat next to a man who wore a mask, ear protectors, and disposable gloves. He also was disinfecting all his surroundings, include the bottle of water the flight attendant handed him. He must have had some disease? Or maybe he himself was at risk and was doing what he thought was best to protect HIMSELF from others around him? I did not find that scary, or insulting to me personally. After all at 70, aren't I myself in that high risk elderly population who needs the protection of the vaccinated younger folks? "Think about those who are the most vulnerable; immune compromised, babies, young children, and the ELDERLY".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies