Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2019, 03:35 PM

88,977 posts, read 44,788,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
It’s not about the math. It’s about they hating people having more money than them.
While that is part of it, it WILL ultimately come down to the math. Growing the welfare class by artificially financially supporting them and providing financial incentives for them to over-breed while also importing millions of uneducated no/low-skill workers is mathematically unsustainable. It's a recipe for massive societal failure. I challenge anyone to do the math and SHOW how that works out as a positive.

As the welfare class increases compared to everyone else, the cost to artificially financially support them will become unsustainable. Total federal income tax revenue is $1.6 trillion/year. The bottom 50% paid $48 billion of that, while the welfare class (about 22% of the population) took $800 billion/year in means-tested public assistance program benefits. Expanding the welfare class under such circumstances is mathematically unsustainable and a recipe for massive societal failure.

In addition to the 48% of US births/year paid by Medicaid, 52.1% of children in the US live in a household that receives one or more forms of means-tested public assistance.

https://www.census.gov/data/tables/t...ov/pov-26.html

I challenge anyone who disagrees to show the math of how this actually works out to the betterment of society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 03:56 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,160,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
While that is part of it, it WILL ultimately come down to the math. Growing the welfare class by artificially financially supporting them and providing financial incentives for them to over-breed while also importing millions of uneducated no/low-skill workers is mathematically unsustainable. It's a recipe for massive societal failure. I challenge anyone to do the math and SHOW how that works out as a positive.

As the welfare class increases compared to everyone else, the cost to artificially financially support them will become unsustainable. Total federal income tax revenue is $1.6 trillion/year. The bottom 50% paid $48 billion of that, while the welfare class (about 22% of the population) took $800 billion/year in means-tested public assistance program benefits. Expanding the welfare class under such circumstances is mathematically unsustainable and a recipe for massive societal failure.

In addition to the 48% of US births/year paid by Medicaid, 52.1% of children in the US live in a household that receives one or more forms of means-tested public assistance.

I challenge anyone who disagrees to show the math of how this actually works out to the betterment of society.

Brilliant post! You are absolutely correct. We are at a point where funding these programs are financial suicide. I find it ironic that so many restaurants are concerned that the food that they are serving is sustainable yet nobody ever talks about financial sustainability? Why?

One of my hobbies is traveling to various parts of the world and I don't shy away from third world countries that are steeped in poverty. They don't have programs or handouts like they do here in the US. But somehow everybody bands together and people survive. I then ask why is the US so special? Why are we entitled when so much of the world isn't? Is this fair? I say no it's not.

I am a fiscal conservative. It's not that I'm heartless, I just say let's let the chips fall as they may and wrap our minds around the fact that not everybody is the same. It's ok for poor folks to be poor...even in the US.

The alternative ie borrowing money and paying interest on top of it, will drive us all of the cliff sooner than later.

Old 01-02-2019, 03:57 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,557,772 times
Quote:

It’s better because there will be no more evil rich people. The society would be enormously better because it would be filled with virtuous poor people who would mug you if you don’t provide them welfare.

Old 01-02-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
It’s better because there will be no more evil rich people.
And when the idiot left has succeeded in destroying the "evil rich people," exactly WHO do they think will pay the taxes that fund the $800 billion/year and growing means-tested public assistance programs?

We already know that the bottom 50% pays 3% of the federal income tax revenue, an amount of $48 billion. Does anyone else besides me see the shortfall?

$800 billion - $48 billion = $752 billion. Who will fund that?

Old 01-02-2019, 04:12 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,223,174 times
Quote:
No, my assumption is that as the welfare class increases compared to everyone else, the cost to artificially financially support them will become unsustainable. Total federal income tax revenue is $1.6 trillion/year. The bottom 50% paid $48 billion of that, while the welfare class (about 22% of the population) took $800 billion/year in means-tested public assistance program benefits. Expanding the welfare class under such circumstances is mathematically unsustainable and a recipe for massive societal failure.

You do the math.
If you believe all that, then "create good paying jobs", advocate for improvements in the education system, and take a look at how the exodus of industry eroded the financial base which justified these projects when Industry was strong, and look back a the Corporate Tax Rate before Reagan. Then you start to get some understanding as to why and how our system got strained.

When you have 100's of thousand to Millions of Industrial Jobs wiped out, you have millions of small business wiped out, millions of individual proprietors who no longer exist, such as the vast array of "repair" shops that no longer exist. Look in every areas and you will see mass change. There is no more massive secretarial pools, there is no longer a great many jobs, and many of those jobs were collateral to "having robust industrial sectors".....

You rail on about the poor... but you say absolutely nothing about the damages the actions and decisions of the wealthy did that damaged and stagnated the poor, and devastated the wages and the tax base which was contributed to by the poor... compound that with the loss of tax revenue from Industry that is no longer here....

But you single focused tunnel vision of attack styled blame on the poor... is "elitist" spin..... No one can make you respect the poor and working poor, but I for one will not be party to the incessant denigration of the poor, especially when you selectively omit the massive damages the wealth have enacted upon society, business, industry and the system of taxation's which support our United States Government and the works that it does.

Keep trying to take for the poor and see how safe your little enclave will be.... you may feel insulted by some stroke of luck in accessibility and income... but there is a great amount to the picture.. and you carefully by willful design, neglect to consider much.

Go back and look at images of America in some sectors that pushed the concepts by LBJ to develop a plan for a war on poverty... and you might see some long generational issues that cover centuries.

I don't know your status economically or anything else, and its not my business to know it.....

But it is my business to speak about the variables that have been and are a challenge in our society and its systems, and to do so.. in concept, perspective and Ideas of how we can be and become better over the coming decades.

Last edited by Chance and Change; 01-02-2019 at 04:59 PM..

Old 01-02-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
If you believe all that, then "create good paying jobs", advocate for improvements in the education system, and take a look at how the exodus of industry eroded the financial base which justified these projects when Industry was strong, and look back a the Corporate Tax Rate before Reagan. Then you start to get some understanding as to why and how our system got strained.
"Good paying jobs" are EARNED. EARN them. And education in the US won't improve until we get rid of the stranglehold teachers unions have on public education.

I'm going to educate you as to the institutional racism ever present in the US public school system, courtesy of teachers unions' demands...

Percent of 12th grade students of each race/ethnicity who are proficient or above, by race/ethnicity group:

Mathematics:

Overall: 26%

Asian/Pacific Islander: 47%
White: 33%
American Indian/Alaska Native: 12%
Hispanic: 12%
Black: 7%

Reading:

Overall: 38%

Asian/Pacific Islander: 47%
White: 47%
American Indian/Alaska Native: 26%
Hispanic: 23%
Black: 16%

National Assessment of Educational Progress - NAEP - 12th Grade Mathematics and Reading

Does anyone really wish to assert that Hispanic or Black students are actually that much less intelligent than White students? Or is it far more likely that our country's public K-12 education system is the largest, most wide-spread form of institutional racism there is in the U.S.?

BTW, it isn't a funding issue. Many school districts (e.g., Camden, NJ, Washington, DC, etc.) spend $20,000+ per student per year and still yield abysmal results.

Old 01-02-2019, 04:42 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,557,772 times
Quote:
And when the idiot left has succeeded in destroying the "evil rich people," exactly WHO do they think will pay the taxes that fund the $800 billion/year and growing means-tested public assistance programs?

We already know that the bottom 50% pays 3% of the federal income tax revenue, an amount of $48 billion. Does anyone else besides me see the shortfall?

$800 billion - $48 billion = $752 billion. Who will fund that?
If history is telling, tens of millions would starve to death, making room for the rest. Throw in a civil war for good measure.

Old 01-02-2019, 05:27 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,754,926 times
Quote:
Do you know the so called “college math” in US is mostly taught in the junior high in most of the Asian countries?
I'm not sure what is meant by "college math" but that sounds like a bit of an exaggeration. Yes, in Japan calculus is part of the standard high school curriculum, so the kids here are one or two years ahead of the pace that I learned math in American schools. My nephew, who attends a special tech-focused high school, is already doing linear algebra.

Old 01-02-2019, 05:39 PM

34,007 posts, read 17,041,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I hope you aren't being serious, I voted Sanders in the 2016 primary, and I'm middle class
2 Sander supporters with jobs. Lightning has struck twice in one location.

Old 01-02-2019, 05:41 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,722,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
I've lived in the real world and know this. There are some truly needy people in society, but it's a very small number, maybe 5%. The rest are just lazy or stupid. You wouldn't believe the number of Americans who turn down opportunities for higher paying jobs because "I don't want to work longer hours" or "It's not located in a trendy city."

Let me give an example. I know someone who works 2 part-time minimum-wage jobs and is a Bernie Sanders supporter. His mom told me that 1 of his jobs recently offered him a promotion to be a salaried manager. He turned it down because he is afraid that he might have to work longer shifts if he has a full-time job. Now of course he'll vote Bernie Sanders and complain that we all need to redistribute wealth to him because there are no good jobs available.

By the way, did you know that having a car loan is a choice? Most poor people don't know that.
There are 35 million Americans living below the poverty line. More than 25% of them are children. They do not choose to be poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies