Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2019, 12:51 PM

88,613 posts, read 44,334,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I read that entire article. There was no link to the PEW research study in that article.
It's in the endnotes. Perhaps you should learn to read more carefully and/or improve your reading comprehension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Since you only quoted one part of my post about the link, and not the rest of my post, allow me to repeat myself:

AGAIN:

This is what it concludes:

And...

DUH!

But I'm so glad you that used that as your "argument", because what you did was make the damn argument for those of us out here telling you all that many times, it has a LOT to do with circumstances beyond the person's control. In this case, the parents of the person didn't have much money, therefore, it was dang near impossible for the child to get out of that.

What you did here was prove our point. The parents didn't have much money, therefore, the child of those parents didn't have much of a shot moving up the ladder.

WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK PEOPLE HAVE BEEN TRYING TO TELL YOU FOR PAGES ON END?
I don't know what you're going on about. NO ONE is owed a certain standard of living merely because they exist. If one wishes to climb the socioeconomic ladder, they have to work for it and earn it. Duh.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Why is it the same people who are against Planning Parenthood and were formerly even against birth control of ANY type are now yapping about the results?
Planned Parenthood is fine if they didn't accept medicaid (taxpayer money) for abortions, as they do in about 20 states, including CA, NY, IL, NJ, etc. Abortions are optional and should be paid by the person requesting such.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Simple. Morally, nobody should be forced to pay for your recreational acts or their consequences.
Exactly.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:07 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,086,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Planned Parenthood is fine if they didn't accept medicaid (taxpayer money) for abortions, as they do in about 20 states, including CA, NY, IL, NJ, etc. Abortions are optional and should be paid by the person requesting such.
How much does an abortion cost? $3000?

A birth costs around $10,000 (at the VERY least). Plus that much per year in welfare for 18 years. So around $190,000 spent per poor person born. And that's assuming they immediately get off the system for good at age 18.

As a taxpayer, I'd much rather not pay an extra $187,000 just because I want to be a giant hardass about subsidizing abortions.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:10 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,472,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post

A birth costs around $10,000 (at the VERY least). Plus that much per year in welfare for 18 years. So around $190,000 spent per poor person born. And that's assuming they immediately get off the system for good at age 18.

As a taxpayer, I'd much rather not pay an extra $187,000 just because I want to be a giant hardass about subsidizing abortions.
Who cares if it costs a dollar or a million? Why should taxpayers pay for your personal needs?

Old 01-05-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:

A birth costs around $10,000. Plus that much per year in welfare for 18 years. So around $190,000 spent per poor person born. And that's assuming they immediately get off the system for good at age 18.

That's you. Not every taxpayer condones abortion. Feticide is illegal in most US states, except for the mother. She can kill a fetus, at will. That's a violation of the US Constitution's Equal Protections Clause. Either anyone can kill a fetus, or no one can.

Furthermore, eliminate public assistance for all but the genuinely incapacitated. One's actions yield consequences. It's one's own responsibility to bear the consequences of one's actions. Or are you going to pay the penalty and interest and/or go to prison for me if I don't pay my 5-figure 2018 4th quarter federal income tax estimate this January 15th?

Old 01-05-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Who cares if it costs a dollar or a million? Why should taxpayers pay for your personal needs?
Bingo!

Old 01-05-2019, 01:18 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,086,816 times
Quote:
I'm speaking as a taxpayer, not as someone who needs an abortion. Stop trying to insinuate that anyone who disagrees with your stance is a welfare bum.

It absolutely matters whether it's a dollar or a million when realistically there is zero chance of all government assistance being completely eliminated.

So since we're all going to have to pay for others' bad choices like it or not, the question remains: would you rather pay less or pay more?

Old 01-05-2019, 01:20 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,472,155 times
Quote:
I'm speaking as a taxpayer, not as someone who needs an abortion. Stop trying to insinuate that anyone who disagrees with your stance is a welfare bum.

It absolutely matters whether it's a dollar or a million when realistically there is zero chance of all government assistance being completely eliminated.

So since we're all going to have to pay for others' bad choices like it or not, the question remains: would you rather pay less or pay more?
So you would support forced sterilization then? It’s way cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies