Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 09:45 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
What about once the person is not a felon anymore, when they have paid their debt off to society in full? What then?
I know what you are saying, and I agree - at least mostly so.
Depends on the felony and it depends on how many times our subject has committed a felony, shouldn't it?
There are some who should be released from prison, but never allowed to own a gun; others should be released with significant probation times; still others should go immediately right back into full fledged citizenship.

The report that there are more guns in private hands than military should not be alarming to any American. We are armed to the teeth in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 10:34 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,990,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I don't understand what the problem is here. Can someone explain it to me?
There isnt one.

I lived in South Africa for years, spent some time in Nairobi as well. The police and army are completely corrupt (I knew an American robbed by police in Nairobi), and simply cannot be relied on to "serve and protect". Even murderers can find freedom once arrested for a small bribe. It's a fact.

People need to protect themselves. The government isnt going to do it.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:38 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
There isnt one.

I lived in South Africa for years, spent some time in Nairobi as well. The police and army are completely corrupt (I knew an American robbed by police in Nairobi), and simply cannot be relied on to "serve and protect". Even murderers can find freedom once arrested for a small bribe. It's a fact.

People need to protect themselves. The government isnt going to do it.
Its the same way in the US too, its just done more secretively and hush hush.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:39 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I know what you are saying, and I agree - at least mostly so.
Depends on the felony and it depends on how many times our subject has committed a felony, shouldn't it?
There are some who should be released from prison, but never allowed to own a gun; others should be released with significant probation times; still others should go immediately right back into full fledged citizenship.

The report that there are more guns in private hands than military should not be alarming to any American. We are armed to the teeth in America.
Holding ANYONE to ANY crime for their entire life conflicts with one of the founding principles of the US system of justice.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:41 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,985,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Well... seems it's a problem when the folks living in "Chocolate City" all get guns to protect themselves.

Guessing it's not an issue in "Vanilla Valley" though.
What in the heck are you talking about?

Old 01-01-2019, 01:08 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
So.

Old 01-01-2019, 03:20 PM

19,720 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Its the same way in the US too, its just done more secretively and hush hush.
There is corruption everywhere in this country.

Old 01-01-2019, 03:36 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Trying to see where there is a problem here. The law abiding public should ALWAYS be better armed that the state's police and military. Otherwise you end up with Nazi Germany, the USSR, Communist China, the Khmer Rouge-or Venezuela.

Are those on the left concerned that it's black people that are armed again? US "gun laws" came out of efforts to keep minorities disarmed and defenseless.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:33 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Trying to see where there is a problem here. The law abiding public should ALWAYS be better armed that the state's police and military. Otherwise you end up with Nazi Germany, the USSR, Communist China, the Khmer Rouge-or Venezuela.

Are those on the left concerned that it's black people that are armed again? US "gun laws" came out of efforts to keep minorities disarmed and defenseless.
Chill with that nonsense. If the Kenyans started shooting whites, your tune would change quickly. Lol

Old 01-01-2019, 08:37 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
What in the heck are you talking about?
Ice cream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies