Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 05:31 AM

58,989 posts, read 27,275,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I presume they have a gun like that they carry around with them all the time?

But yes, I've often wondered about the psychology of people who feel the need to be armed wherever they go.

"But yes, I've often wondered about the psychology of people who feel the need to be armed wherever they go"

I WONDER about people who are either so mis-informed or naive to believe an attempted armed robbery has NEVER happened WHEREVER people go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
My own two sons were exceptional in that they knew we had guns in the house, and that they were never to touch them. When they were old enough, I taught them to shoot and to respect guns . HOWEVER, knowing how children can be curious and make mistakes, I NEVER had them anywhere that wasn't under lock and key, and the ammo in another totally different place, under lock and key.

Kids are going to be kids. My own dad had a pistol and I remember finding it and touching it when I was a young kid, so I wasn't about to take that risk with my two. Very tragic about this poor 5 year old.
"I NEVER had them anywhere that wasn't under lock and key, and the ammo in another totally different place,"

And in the middle of the night you hear a window being broken, how are you going to find your gun key, ammo key "that wasn't under lock and key, and the ammo in another totally different place" in the dark unlock the gun, unlock the ammo, load the gun in order to defend your family all in the dark?

If you can't get to them easily what good are they going to do for you? Why even have them?

Old 01-01-2019, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Just another responsible gun owner. I mean, I could see having it in the front passenger seat or under the driver's seat where she could grab it real quick. Might not be legal, but I could see it. But in the back seat? With the kid?

I'd understand McDoanld's.
"But in the back seat? With the kid?"

Looks like you did NOT bother to read the article, so you make ignorant statements. Not surprised though!

"I'd understand McDoanld's"

I believe many people do NOT agree with you.

I see long lines at Mickey D's and very short lines at ALL other fast food places.

Micky D's is no 1 for a reason.

McDonald’s
The Steve Easterbrook Era is transforming McDonald’s in all the right ways. The CEO, who took the company reins in March 2015, quickly initiated a Turnaround Plan that stripped the company of unnecessary management layers, refranchised hundreds of corporate stores, and pushed the brand toward more modern innovations. Last year, Easterbrook & Co. introduced the next chapter in the company’s comeback story, the Velocity Growth Plan, which has it focused on expanding its Experience of the Future kiosk prototype, providing delivery through UberEats, and offering more convenience with mobile order and pay. These strategies are paying off and then some; in 2017, McDonald’s enjoyed its best sales growth in six years.

https://www.qsrmagazine.com/reports/2018-qsr-50

Old 01-01-2019, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I don't know if North Carolina says it must be stored elsewhere. Thus the "might not" in front of the "be legal."

Can I Carry a Firearm in My Car in North Carolina?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BzSXFDgyMQ

Old 01-01-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Ya know, it is amazing how some of us get through life without the need to be packing heat everywhere we go. I have been driving for almost 60 years now, been across the country twice, gone to work numerous times, ran errands, driven all over the place, and have never had the feeling that I needed a gun by my side.

Either you guys need to start living in better areas, or stop being so paranoid.
"Ya know, it is amazing how some of us get through life without the need to be packing heat everywhere we go"

Maybe you have just been lucky. Hundreds of thousands of people have NOT been so lucky.

People carry for "insurance" just as those they have health care insurance, home owners insurance, etc.

You NEVER know when you might need it!

"you guys need to start living in better areas,"

Name 1 area that has NEVER had an armed robbery attempt.

"one study ordered by the CDC and conducted by The National Academies’ Institute of Medicine and National Research Council reported that, “Defensive use of guns by crime victims is a common occurrence”:
Almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million, in the context of about 300,000 violent crimes involving firearms in 2008.
Another study estimates there are 1,029,615 DGUs per year “for self-protection or for the protection of property at home, work, or elsewhere” excluding “military service, police work, or work as a security guard,” (within the range of the National Academies’ paper), yielding an estimate of 162,000 cases per year where someone “almost certainly would have been killed” if they “had not used a gun for protection.”
(In comparison, there were 11,208 homicide deaths by firearm in the US in 2012. There were a total of 33,636 deaths due to “injury by firearms,” of which the majority were suicides, 21,175.)
SIG Pro SP2022, one of many pistols suitable for personal defense.By Augustas Didžgalvis - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, Wikimedia Commons

A second key principle in judging gun violence research:
* The value of firearms in the hands of law-abiding citizens should be measured in terms of lives saved or crimes prevented, not criminals killed.
As an example of the latter type of analysis, one recent Washington Post story reported that, “For every criminal killed in self-defense, 34 innocent people die”:
In 2012, there were 8,855 criminal gun homicides in the FBI’s homicide database, but only 258 gun killings by private citizens that were deemed justifiable, which the FBI defines as “the killing of a felon, during the commission of a felony, by a private citizen.” That works out to one justifiable gun death for every 34 unjustifiable gun deaths.
However, this comparison can be misleading. An armed civilian does not have to kill the criminal in order to save an innocent life. As the National Research Council notes, “[E]ffective defensive gun use need not ever lead the perpetrator to be wounded or killed. Rather, to assess the benefits of self-defense, one needs to measure crime and injury averted. The particular outcome of an offender is of little relevance.”
We don’t judge whether the police are doing a good job by the numbers of criminals they kill each year, but rather by how well they stop crime. The same should be true in judging the effectiveness of civilian DGUs.
The exact number of DGUs is not precisely known. There are reasons to think the actual number may be higher or lower than the figures cited. For example, some respondents to surveys may consciously or unconsciously exaggerate the degree of peril they were in, which could lead to an overestimate of DGUs.
On the other hand, gun policy researcher Brian Doherty explains how reported numbers could also be an underestimate. Just as many sexual assault victims don’t report those crimes to the authorities, many law-abiding people who successfully use a gun to deter a crime without firing a shot may similarly choose to avoid reporting these incidents to the police:
[Y]our possession or use of the weapon might be a matter of greater concern to the cops than whatever the intruder or criminal you were repelling was up to. They’ll doubtless never lay hands on him; you are right there, for any investigation and harassment the cops might want to call forth. Many gun owners or gun users might see little good and much possible bad arising from calling the cops after a DGU incident, and thus many or even most would never make a police blotter, never make a newspaper.
It’s relatively easy to measure the number of lives lost due to criminal gun violence. It’s harder to measure the number of lives saved by legal defensive gun use. Murders that didn’t happen don’t show up on crime statistics. This is just another example of Bastiat’s classic principle of “the seen vs. the unseen.”
Finally, a third principle to remember in analyzing public health gun violence research:
* The right to self-defense does not depend on statistics and numbers.
Doherty makes an important point about the ultimate relevance of any such research studies: “However large the number of DGUs, or how small; and however large the number of accidents or tragedies caused by guns, or how small, the right and ability to choose for yourself how to defend yourself and your family — at home or away from it — remains, and that numerical debate should have no particular bearing on it.”
One of my friends had to use his legal concealed handgun to protect himself when attacked by two knife-wielding criminals. I’ve written about his story here.
For those who wonder whether AR-15-style rifles have a legitimate self-defense use, took a look at this story where someone used an AR-15 to protect himself during a home invasion against 3 black-clad intruders, and another story where a man used his AR-15 to stop a knife attack against others.
It is our inalienable right to self-defense that makes me a proud supporter of responsible gun ownership and of the Second Amendment. Guns can be used for good as well as evil purposes.
We would consider it irresponsible for a public health researcher to study only the negative effects of, say, caffeine consumption without also considering the positive effects. If public health researchers wish to have credibility with the millions of gun rights supporters such as myself, they should endeavour to quantify the very real benefits of legal gun ownership in addition to the genuine harms caused by illegal gun use. Studies that discuss only the latter without the former are incomplete at best — and dishonest at worst.
I support good public policy based on objective research, informed by a proper understanding of individual rights — including the right to self-defense. If we’re going to engage in gun violence research, let’s do it right — by recognizing both the positive and negative aspects of civilian firearm ownership.
I am a physician with long-standing interests in health policy, medical ethics and free-market economics. I am the co-founder of Freedom and Individual Rights in Medicine (FIRM). I graduated from University of Michigan Medical School and completed my residency in diagnostic ...
MORE

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulhsi.../#162b02b65edc

IF everyplace is as safe as you think, why do you have a Police Dept that covers whee you live? Why don't you petition to get rid of your local police dept.?

Old 01-01-2019, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Here is the reality of having mostly untrained, or semi trained civilians carrying guns. It is a false sense of security. Police train constantly to hone their skills and prepare them for any emergency. Uncle Joe and Aunt Emma do not. They THINK they would be able to defend themselves in a crisis, but, when things go wrong they happen in a heartbeat, and most people would freeze or start spraying bullets everywhere but to the intended target.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QjZY3WiO9s&t=22s

The last place I would want to be is in a room filled with gun carrying non professionals, I would rather take my chances with the bad guy.

Nothing like like making "1 size fits all" silly claims.

Old 01-01-2019, 06:22 AM

33,322 posts, read 12,498,936 times
Quote:
Ya know, it is amazing how some of us get through life without the need to be packing heat everywhere we go. I have been driving for almost 60 years now, been across the country twice, gone to work numerous times, ran errands, driven all over the place, and have never had the feeling that I needed a gun by my side.

Either you guys need to start living in better areas, or stop being so paranoid.

What ideal answer do you have for someone who can't afford to live in a better area?

Old 01-01-2019, 06:44 AM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
You're projecting your own fears upon others. If we felt the need to carry a gun, we would. One reason why we do not own or carry guns, is because we do not feel the same fear that you do. It's really kinda sad you do not understand this. Many people simply do not feel the fear that you feel.
Gun or not I'm afraid of nothing. I do not like the thought of not being a father for those that depend on me. There are a lot of really sh*t people out there that would kill you for the paper on your being. If you've never dealt with the lowlifes good for you. I'll hedge my bets.

I'm looking forward to the day my interaction with fellow humans is voluntary, not one million on a freeway EVERY day to work.

Ever had your house broken into? I'm guessing no. Until you feel that violated, you don't have a voice.

Old 01-01-2019, 06:59 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,565,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The problem with the second amendment is that it allows idiots access to weapons that can kill.
What about bath tubs, swimming pools, and car accidents? What Amendment allows idiots access them to kill? Way, way more kids, and people are killed that way than with guns.

Why do you want to remove self defense from the law abiding?

Old 01-01-2019, 07:09 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,492,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Gun or not I'm afraid of nothing. I do not like the thought of not being a father for those that depend on me. There are a lot of really sh*t people out there that would kill you for the paper on your being. If you've never dealt with the lowlifes good for you. I'll hedge my bets.

I'm looking forward to the day my interaction with fellow humans is voluntary, not one million on a freeway EVERY day to work.

Ever had your house broken into? I'm guessing no. Until you feel that violated, you don't have a voice.
I've been broken into while home. I was on the first floor when I heard foot steps upstairs in thr master bedroom. Ran upstairs and on teh way hear something dropped on the floor in the bathroom. Went in and I saw my wifes jewelry box and open window where the thief fled.

If I had a gun it would no doubt have been in the master bedroom which would not done me any good. Adn if it was not in a safe probably would have got stolen.

Afterwards I got a big dog with a loud bark. Studies show they are a real good deterrent against burglars. Interestingly enough studies also show that NRA bumper sticks on vehicles actually attracts burglars as they equate that to lots of guns to steal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies