U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-01-2019, 10:02 AM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
56,175 posts, read 39,580,743 times
Reputation: 28204

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
If the accountants did their job they could point to the savings realized by NAFTA-2 and bank it. As it stands, we know very little about the new deal.

Trump is big on 'I'm a genius', not so much on specifics.

It wouldn't come as much of a surprise if the new deal is very much the old deal with a new acronym.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-01-2019, 10:08 AM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
63,534 posts, read 32,219,470 times
Reputation: 13451
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRNW View Post
LOL!! Nice try, Mr. President. Mexico is paying for nothing.

This was just a failed trump promise.
24 billion a year lost in revenues from Western Union transfers to Mexico, put right back into the US and especially local economies.


Without some sort of barrier, deportation is the equivalent of a drinking cup, with no bottom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 10:13 AM
 
6,076 posts, read 1,257,322 times
Reputation: 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRNW View Post
LOL!! Nice try, Mr. President. Mexico is paying for nothing.

This was just a failed trump promise.
Indeed. Trump FAILED on his two biggest campaign promises: to end Obamacare, and build a wall.

Trump had the entire Congress for two years and didn't get it done.

Obamacare is alive and well. TRUMP FAIL.

Trump is now holding the America people hostage so AMERICAN TAXPAYERS will pay foe the wall. TRUMP FAIL.

Donald Trump is a dumbass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Florida
20,839 posts, read 8,795,464 times
Reputation: 17032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Why is the wall such a joke to the Dems?
There is a problem at the border. A wall would funnel "migrants" that have a legitimate request for asylum etc.. to places where they could plead their cases instead of trying their luck through more dangerous areas of the border. I thought the Dems were all about the humanitarian aspect of the "migrants" ? Where is the humanity forcing people to take a dangerous journey and dragging their kids along with them? A wall would stop them from trying and put them in a spot where they could be safe and receive care.
But then again the ones that are risking their lives and trying to bypass our border security know they are breaking the law and that doesn't matter to them because they know if they are caught there are very few penalties for them. What is happening at the border and happening to our country is not a joke.
We can protect the border for a lot less money with technology. That's why $5 billion is a joke.

The majority of undocumented people have overstayed their visas - so they flew in on planes. Right over your proposed ancient cement wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Montgomery County, PA
14,257 posts, read 9,168,550 times
Reputation: 11696
It seems to me illegal immigration is much more of a problem to people living in distant places. It's by now a way of life in the border states and you don't sense much of anything when you visit there. Illegal or not, they are well integrated into the fabric of daily life. Could this be that the counties that actually sit on the border mostly went Democrat. You'd think they are the ones who would rise up first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 10:21 AM
 
6,900 posts, read 3,582,967 times
Reputation: 3522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Why is the wall such a joke to the Dems?

There is a problem at the border. A wall would funnel "migrants" that have a legitimate request for asylum etc.. to places where they could plead their cases instead of trying their luck through more dangerous areas of the border.



I thought the Dems were all about the humanitarian aspect of the "migrants" ? Where is the humanity forcing people to take a dangerous journey and dragging their kids along with them? A wall would stop them from trying and put them in a spot where they could be safe and receive care.

But then again the ones that are risking their lives and trying to bypass our border security know they are breaking the law and that doesn't matter to them because they know if they are caught there are very few penalties for them.



What is happening at the border and happening to our country is not a joke.
If Trump can use twitter he`s qualified to use Google where he`ll learn that most illegals did NOT sneak across the border. This is why the wall is such a joke and a very bad one.
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...l-immigration/
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/...ntinue-n730216
https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...-mexicans-most
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Florida
20,839 posts, read 8,795,464 times
Reputation: 17032
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
It seems to me illegal immigration is much more of a problem to people living in distant places. It's by now a way of life in the border states and you don't sense much of anything when you visit there. Illegal or not, they are well integrated into the fabric of daily life. Could this be that the counties that actually sit on the border mostly went Democrat. You'd think they are the ones who would rise up first.
They don't want the government grabbing their land, which Donald 'Eminent Domain' Trump fully intends to do, for a wall that 60% of the country does not want.

I live in Florida where there are plenty of illegal immigrants. Maybe we aren't 'distant' enough. Not a problem for me. In fact, the immigrants (legal or not--I don't check anyone's papers) are some of the hardest workers around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 10:27 AM
 
6,971 posts, read 2,434,558 times
Reputation: 2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
24 billion a year lost in revenues from Western Union transfers to Mexico, put right back into the US and especially local economies.


Without some sort of barrier, deportation is the equivalent of a drinking cup, with no bottom.
24 billion is the amount of money being transferred. You can tax it but have no cause to confiscate it. Congress of of course would need to pass a bill. So that is highly doubtful.

In 2017 a republican congress proposed a 2 percent tax on wire transfers to Mexico. Thats .5 bn. Not 25 bn. So that means 10 years for the 5bn Trump is asking for now and 50 years for the 25bn estimate for the entire wall. Considered this will need to be borrowed money the interest rate will far outweigh the revenue gain.

Another aspect is that this will not just affect individuals but also companies as they would be subject to the same taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 01:47 PM
 
6,076 posts, read 1,257,322 times
Reputation: 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
We can protect the border for a lot less money with technology. That's why $5 billion is a joke.

The majority of undocumented people have overstayed their visas - so they flew in on planes. Right over your proposed ancient cement wall.
A shame so many Trump supporters aren't aware of that.

And Trump does s good job of selling his supporters the nightmare they believe: "their" America is bring overrun by brown people. I'm sure that probably terrifies many a Trump supporter, which is probably why they want the wall so badly.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Trump is a horrible, disgusting human being....but he's a GREAT salesman. Very effective at selling lies and fear to his base....they gobble it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2019, 01:57 PM
 
34,335 posts, read 15,449,610 times
Reputation: 9111
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
If Trump can use twitter he`s qualified to use Google where he`ll learn that most illegals did NOT sneak across the border. This is why the wall is such a joke and a very bad one.
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...l-immigration/
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/...ntinue-n730216
https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...-mexicans-most

Wrong again! Most illegals here were border jumpers. Even if there are more visa over stayers coming here today than border jumpers there are still thousands of illegal aliens crossing our border every month illegally and that's what the wall is for, duh.


How many times do you have to be told that the visa over stayers will just have to be dealt with differently before you stop deflecting with the visa over stayer problem? They are both a problem should we just ignore one problem for the other? Are you really this clueless?


I have posted several links proving that the good walls are very effective in deterring the border jumpers. Did you miss them or just ignore them because it doesn't fit your pro-illegal narrative? If you can't stay on topic then start your own about the visa over stayers. This one is about the wall which is meant to deter the border jumpers!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top