Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2019, 07:14 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Is there footage of this wall being sawed?
No, but why try to saw through it when you can just climb over it? Just pick a good time to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JEgECrhdK8

Old 01-10-2019, 07:15 PM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
I wish someone, on Trump's side, would address a question I often bring up, namely: If, in Texas, a border wall is built north of the Rio Grande River, is that not the same as ceding the Rio Grande to Mexico?

To put it simply: a fence or wall NORTH of the Rio Grande would allow Mexico to claim ALL of the Rio Grande.

I know for some herein it is a difficult concept. It is certainly beyond Mr. Trump's grasp.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:17 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
For all those who want to climb the 30 foot wall with a ladder, here's a good one. As you can see, it costs 565$ and weighs 225 pounds, but it'll sure work to get you up on top of that 30 foot wall. Might want to practice the land-and-roll technique used by paratroopers, though, for when you jump down to the American side. It's gonna sting a little.

And here's a grappling hook that oughta work. Throwing it up over the solid steel top of the fence is a bit tricky, but you could practice by throwing 2.5 lb. weights up to the 3rd floor window of a building. I'm a bit of a hoss myself, and I couldn't do it. Maybe you're a bigger hoss, I dunno.

Anyways, lotsa luck to all those who think they can do it. I couldn't. Come to think of it, would you post the time and place of your demonstration? ..... I gotta see this!

Old 01-10-2019, 07:18 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
There was a deal in the works until Ann Coulter vetoed it. Now Trump owns the shutdown. He even said so: "I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down."

Doesn't change the fact that Dems currently have the power to reopen it if they want to.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:19 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
A 2000 mile wall has not been proposed. Your leaders have told you that in an attempt (Apparently successful) to manufacture outrage and you believed it.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ed-full-border
But even an one mile long wall would inconvenience the potential democrat voters from entering illegally, wouldn’t it?

Old 01-10-2019, 07:20 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,100,613 times
Quote:
For all those who want to climb the 30 foot wall with a ladder, here's a good one. As you can see, it costs 565$ and weighs 225 pounds, but it'll sure work to get you up on top of that 30 foot wall. Might want to practice the land-and-roll technique used by paratroopers, though, for when you jump down to the American side. It's gonna sting a little.

And here's a grappling hook that oughta work. Throwing it up over the solid steel top of the fence is a bit tricky, but you could practice by throwing 2.5 lb. weights up to the 3rd floor window of a building. I'm a bit of a hoss myself, and I couldn't do it. Maybe you're a bigger hoss, I dunno.

Anyways, lotsa luck to all those who think they can do it. I couldn't. Come to think of it, would you post the time and place of your demonstration? ..... I gotta see this!
It’s a fixed fortification; one would have to be historically remiss to think that a wall can’t be overcome.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:20 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
They're not denying that the border needs to be more secure. No one is denying that. There are better, more efficient and more timely options to doing that than a wall. There are already barriers along the southern border. A 2,000 mile wall is not feasible.
What length is feasible?

Old 01-10-2019, 07:23 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Not "try" at the tune of 5.7 billion dollars!

So, you are cool with sending 10+ billion south of our border.....? But not cool with spending 5.7 billion on our border?

Old 01-10-2019, 07:25 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:

Lots of people are big talkers about such things until it comes to actually doing it.

I've been 30" up on a ladder.... it's a lot higher when you're up there than it looks from below...

Definitely not for the timid, overweight, scared of heights, accident prone etc.

Carry a backpack, toddler or a bundle of drugs up with you and it'll get real interesting.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:26 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I wonder if I am going to have to school Wall people on technology? There is new tech that can see virtually anyone and their movements and track it all 100%. It can be done from light planes and there are companies that are ready to do it. The founder was an instructor at War College and in Iraq - he knows what he is doing:
https://www.pss-1.com/hawkeye-ii

That is in addition to drones and satellites. It wouldn't cost much to use a special geo-stationary low orbit bird with some good cameras on it.

These technologies could be implemented next week. But it won't happen.

Then you can school yourself on our legal system. The issue isn't about catching them but what happens after you catch them. We had to release 1000 illegals Christmas week and the El Paso mayor said 25,000 illegals had been released there since October. That is because every illegal now knows to ask for asylum because an asylum applicant, no matter how baseless the claim, is entitled to "right" for the years it takes to resolve. Our courts have ruled they can't be deported (recently a court ordered the govt to bring some illegals back that they had deported), courts won't let us separate families, courts won't let us detain minors for long, etc.

The cold hard fact is that catching 1000 more illegals per week won't matter much if it only results in us releasing 1000 more illegals per week into America. The point of a wall is to keep most of them on the other side so that fewer are being caught on US soil. The recent events in Tijuana are a great example. 5000-7000 migrants went to Tijuana to seek asylum and entry into the US. They tried to rush the border. The barriers there - probably the best we have along the 2000 mile border - get the vast majority out. Thus there are still 3000-5000 migrants living in Tijuana. But the barriers had weakpoints and hundreds made it over or under or through. They were arrested and many of them have since been released into America.

So I agree with you that we can do amazing things with technology - probably detect 95% of them and catch 85% - it is a pointless expense (and that technology will be a huge ongoing expense) until we can take the apprehended illegal and promptly kick them back out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies