Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2019, 01:25 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times

Advertisements

GOP had TWO YEARS of control in House, Senate, and White House. They didn't get a bill with the wall passed and signed.

GOP had ample opportunity to market the need for a wall to people before the Midterm elections. If enough really agreed, GOP majorities would have grown. People knew the proposed agenda at stake. Instead, Dems took House and narrowed in the Senate.

If it was truly the Will of the People, then there would have been ample time by now for it to happen through the legal channels. The way the Constitution says this should happen is: pass a bill through Congress and get Preaident to sign it (or Congress to override).

When Trump and his cheerleaders take the livelihoods of 800,000 American families hostage after not getting their way via elections and Congress, they are trying to thwart the Will of the People. It's an admission that they didn't have the support to do it the legally prescribed way.

Trump and team are not dictators. This is still a representative democracy. I would have been ok with a wall if it passed via Congress, even as I don't think it's a very effective investment. But now I think this just needs to be opposed to the hilt on principle:

We do not negotiate with terrorists and hostage takers.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:27 PM

1,066 posts, read 629,021 times
I vote wall.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:29 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
you forget that in the senate they needed 60 votes to get the wall funding to the floor for an up or down vote, and they didnt have the votes. try learning something about senate rules before spouting off like this again please.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
I vote wall.
But clearly not enough like you did.

The voice or Americans in the Midterms clearly was: we want this President's agenda and control checked.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:33 PM

62,871 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
It seems that a lot of people think the idea of this wall is ridiculous and a waste of money and it sounded that way to me as well.

But when talking about this with some of my relatives, a couple of them think the wall is a good idea and worth paying for to keep whoever out from entering. But is it though?

Also, I don't see how Trump could ever finish it in time, even if he re-elected, he just won't have time before the next president comes in and decides most likely not to continue building it, unless I am wrong?

No, a lot of people don't think! They haven't bothered to inform themselves on how the good walls have been very effective in deterring illegal entry. They just listen to what the Democrats tell them, are just dealing in emotion, hire illegal aliens for profit or have ethnic ties to them none of which equates to "thinking".

Trump doesn't have to get it finished in two years no major project usually does but that's a lame excuse not to proceed to build as much of it as possible. Who knows what the next administration would think or do that's still not a good reason not to get funding for it and building it.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you forget that in the senate they needed 60 votes to get the wall funding to the floor for an up or down vote, and they didnt have the votes. try learning something about senate rules before spouting off like this again please.
I'll say what I please, and you'll damn well take it or get out of this thread.

I don't forget anything. YOU forget that if GOP didn't have support to pass their agenda through House and Senwte, that's THEIR PROBLEM. The laws on how bills become laws are quite clear, and the overall Midterm results do NOT paint a picture of more people clamoring for more Trump/GOP control because they desperately need The Wall. Learn to respect elections.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:48 PM

463 posts, read 189,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
i'll say what i please, and you'll damn well take it or get out of this thread.

I don't forget anything. You forget that if gop didn't have support to pass their agenda through house and senwte, that's their problem. The laws on how bills become laws are quite clear, and the overall midterm results do not paint a picture of more people clamoring for more trump/gop control because they desperately need the wall. Learn to respect elections.
i'm mad and i want everyone on cd to know how pathetic my life is that i'm emotionally attached to a forum thread

Old 01-17-2019, 02:14 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,730,990 times
Earlier I suggested that a special one-time "Wall Tax" could be applied whereby only those in the top 1% income bracket would pay the special tax. Now I'm curious to know who, exactly, would oppose this idea. Democrats are typically happy to tax the top 1%, Trump would get his wall, the government could re-open as soon as the compromise is approved, $5B (or even $25B) would be a drop in the bucket relative to the collective wealth of the top 1% tax bracket... So who, exactly, would oppose the Wall Tax idea? And why?

Last edited by Gaylenwoof; 01-17-2019 at 02:34 PM..

Old 01-17-2019, 02:18 PM

36,495 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
GOP had TWO YEARS of control in House, Senate, and White House. They didn't get a bill with the wall passed and signed.

GOP had ample opportunity to market the need for a wall to people before the Midterm elections. If enough really agreed, GOP majorities would have grown. People knew the proposed agenda at stake. Instead, Dems took House and narrowed in the Senate.

If it was truly the Will of the People, then there would have been ample time by now for it to happen through the legal channels. The way the Constitution says this should happen is: pass a bill through Congress and get Preaident to sign it (or Congress to override).

When Trump and his cheerleaders take the livelihoods of 800,000 American families hostage after not getting their way via elections and Congress, they are trying to thwart the Will of the People. It's an admission that they didn't have the support to do it the legally prescribed way.

Trump and team are not dictators. This is still a representative democracy. I would have been ok with a wall if it passed via Congress, even as I don't think it's a very effective investment. But now I think this just needs to be opposed to the hilt on principle:

We do not negotiate with terrorists and hostage takers.
Did I miss the referendum?

Old 01-17-2019, 02:27 PM

5,208 posts, read 4,666,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Did I miss the referendum?
No because federal law doesn’t allow national referendums. So what was your point? Elections matter unless the other side wins?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies