Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 08:04 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,752,831 times

Advertisements

Math is different - you can't BS or AA your way through it. Without an exceptionally high functioning brain you simply can't do high level math, at all. Good teaching, dedicated study, encouragement and incentives cannot make an ordinary student into a professional research mathematician any more than good coaching and hard practice can make an ordinary athlete into an Olympic finals caliber runner. In both fields, an extreme amount of natural, inborn talent is required for success. People with that level of math talent can pick up advanced math on their own, just by reading books in a library and thinking through the concepts, just as true runners can, with no coaching at all, go out and beat highly trained athletes at sprints.

The NYT writer seems oblivious to this, but I think it's obvious to most who play/watch sports, and have been in a university level math class. Black people don't not become research mathematicians because of bigotry and racial exclusion. Like 99.999% of the rest of the population, they are simply lacking in the spark of mathematics genius that is required to do any useful work at all in the field at a professional level.

NYT: "Why racial exclusion in 'the queen of the sciences' may matter most of all", by Steve Sailer - The Unz Review
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 08:53 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Math is different - you can't BS or AA your way through it. Without an exceptionally high functioning brain you simply can't do high level math, at all. Good teaching, dedicated study, encouragement and incentives cannot make an ordinary student into a professional research mathematician any more than good coaching and hard practice can make an ordinary athlete into an Olympic finals caliber runner. In both fields, an extreme amount of natural, inborn talent is required for success. People with that level of math talent can pick up advanced math on their own, just by reading books in a library and thinking through the concepts, just as true runners can, with no coaching at all, go out and beat highly trained athletes at sprints.

The NYT writer seems oblivious to this, but I think it's obvious to most who play/watch sports, and have been in a university level math class. Black people don't not become research mathematicians because of bigotry and racial exclusion. Like 99.999% of the rest of the population, they are simply lacking in the spark of mathematics genius that is required to do any useful work at all in the field at a professional level.

NYT: "Why racial exclusion in 'the queen of the sciences' may matter most of all", by Steve Sailer - The Unz Review
What other group largely lacks this “spark” you speak of?

BTW...do you have this “spark” that we’re all missing?

(Watch this)

Old 02-22-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Great video. Those guys play high stakes poker with lions. If they win, they get a good meal. But if they lose, they get mauled and possibly eaten alive. I wonder what success rate their tribe considers acceptable? If you get the meat, say, 95% of the time, and mauled 5%, is that good enough? How rare is it for a man to live to age 65 doing this?
The leader of this group is 65, so you know....

Anyway, if the success rate wasn’t fairly high, I doubt they’d be dumb enough to try it. These are Masai after all. You’d fail for sure, but you knew that already.

They live with abundant flora and fauna. If this had such a high failure rate, they’d go for an easier meal.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:08 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,843,220 times
Intelligence is both nature and nurture and having observed true geniuses, nature is more important... Their ability to remember, critically think, and devise new line of thought to solve a problem is inherent in them .... Nurture can help you with repetition and experience but it will not allow you to think outside the box... It doesn't mean that your parents will determine your intelligence but the DNA plan for building your brain is critical for that level of intelligence.... As far as race, every race is capable of said DNA plans but some races may have a higher predisposition to make smarter humans than others... Doesn't mean a race is inferior... All races are capable of equal mediocrity in intelligence... But that has a heavier nurture influence than nature...

Old 02-22-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Intelligence is both nature and nurture and having observed true geniuses, nature is more important... Their ability to remember, critically think, and devise new line of thought to solve a problem is inherent in them .... Nurture can help you with repetition and experience but it will not allow you to think outside the box... It doesn't mean that your parents will determine your intelligence but the DNA plan for building your brain is critical for that level of intelligence.... As far as race, every race is capable of said DNA plans but some races may have a higher predisposition to make smarter humans than others... Doesn't mean a race is inferior... All races are capable of equal mediocrity in intelligence... But that has a heavier nurture influence than nature...
Yeah, but that’s the point that all these amateur CD geneticists are trying to make. They’re just trying to talk around it without really saying so too pointedly.

Old 02-23-2019, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What other group largely lacks this “spark” you speak of?

BTW...do you have this “spark” that we’re all missing?

(Watch this)
No, I'm part of the 99.999% of the population lacking the brain power to be a professional research mathematician. But, unlike the NYT writer, I am at least bright enough to comprehend that the lack of black people in the top 0.001% of mathematics ability isn't evidence of exclusion and bigotry. Are you?

Old 04-05-2019, 12:03 AM

283 posts, read 172,219 times

Old 05-03-2019, 08:52 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Would I like to see more Black people in the mathematics, sciences, and engineering? Of course I would. Whether or not the relatively few number of Blacks in STEM has something to do with exclusion, or if some people believe that Blacks are inferior, well, that would certainly require alot of proof to justify either. I do understand this. As a Black man, I do have to consider how some people are going to perceive me.

I remember watching a youtube video. It was a Black man in medical school. He mentioned his experiences of being in classes like organic chemistry and being told by another student "communications class is in another building" or "music class is in another building" as to basically say "you're Black, so you don't belong here". That sticks in my mind. Someone looking at Blacks and thinking "they are inferior, so they're incapable of things like science and technology".

Old 05-03-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Would I like to see more Black people in the mathematics, sciences, and engineering? Of course I would. Whether or not the relatively few number of Blacks in STEM has something to do with exclusion, or if some people believe that Blacks are inferior, well, that would certainly require alot of proof to justify either. I do understand this. As a Black man, I do have to consider how some people are going to perceive me.

I remember watching a youtube video. It was a Black man in medical school. He mentioned his experiences of being in classes like organic chemistry and being told by another student "communications class is in another building" or "music class is in another building" as to basically say "you're Black, so you don't belong here". That sticks in my mind. Someone looking at Blacks and thinking "they are inferior, so they're incapable of things like science and technology".
Seems much more likely that was said because the guy was talking and playing his music in class than because other students wanted to insult black people. Why don't you post the video?

Old 05-03-2019, 08:15 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,182,470 times
I'll take the George Will slant on this. Blame God. Blame God for creating groups at different levels of intelligence and causing them to commit endless acts of evil because of it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies