Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 11:13 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
All people have prejudices, and some act on these views. She is clearly in the wrong profession. She states that she made these posts when young and impressionable. So be it. I imagine after some soul searching and pain she will come to a reasonable accommodation with a potential medical school. She will grow from this.

The true tragedy is that young people are raised into this world of hate in the first place, and the first casualty is critical thinking. That was not her fault. Forgiveness could occur, but I suspect it will not.
I forgive her but she should not be practicing medicine in the US. Why can't she go be a doctor in Palestine which she loves so much. She could help a lot of her own that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 12:04 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
If it's proven true of course she should gave her license revoked for life and she should go to jail.
Go to jail for what? She hasn't broken any laws.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:54 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
She apologized for the offensive and hurtful language in her messages.

https://heavy.com/news/2019/01/lara-...nt-apologizes/
She apologized, yes. What will determine if she is genuine with that message is how she expresses herself on-line and in-person. When I say this, I mean both by word and the behaviors she conducts. How genuinely apologetic a person is often unclear. I can attest to this idea as I have gotten myself in trouble so many times for how I act and what I say.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:21 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
Actually I'd say making such threats irrespective of the (potential) victims' description should be enough; that she would think this then state so is the crux of the matter, not that she targeted a specific group. What kind of sickie is she to say such a thing in the first place?!

EDIT: just read she was only a resident. Dumbass newbie. She is gorgeous though so will prob have become famous and adored somehow. The stuff she said was really nauseating, she references the Holocaust and says "sorry not sorry". Ewww.
The threats should be enough to get her kicked out. I was talking about more than just the threats. Her trying to make good on those threats show something: Threats are to be taken seriously. Part of why I went beyond just mentioning the threats.

I think about some of these school shooters. Many of them likely mentioned wanting to do something like this or their social media featured things like wanting to be quite violent. There were signs but few paid attention. In the case of this particular woman, she was found out and dealt with accordingly. We can't have individuals like her in the medical profession. She will get someone killed.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:35 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,767,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
She apologized for the offensive and hurtful language in her messages.

https://heavy.com/news/2019/01/lara-...nt-apologizes/
The apology reads to me more of a "I got caught and need to plead for mercy apology" than a real apology. One line stands out that she could easily have expanded upon to demonstrate that it was real:

I matured into a young adult during the years I attended college and medical school, and adopted strong values of inclusion, tolerance, and humanity.

If that were true she could easily have directed people to her posts, writings, or actions since she matured. That would show us that she isn't the same hate-filled person as the immature teenager and college student. So where are the examples of the mature Lara Kollab that demonstrate her strong values of inclusion, tolerance, and humanity? My guess is they don't exist.

If she wants to work as a physician she likely needs to move to the Palestinian territory. She poses too much of a risk for any hospital or practice to hire her.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:22 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I've done work for our state medical board for years. They have a point system to determine action for physician actions.

This would achieve 8 pts and would be an action that would result in either revocation or suspension of a license. A lot depends on whether the physician shows recognition of the problem and provides a plan to insure that such things never happen again. If there was a suspension, "education" and supervision time would be required.

I would argue that such statements should result in revocation, and I am a guy who always believes in giving someone a second chance. In the absence of revocation, no entity will hire her, as any errors that occur can be traced back to these statements. If there were any malpractice cases in the future, a plaintiff atty would always bring up those statements as a possible motivation, which could additionally incur criminal charges of murder or manslaughter.

No hospital or clinic will take on the risk of someone who has made these statements. Her degree is essentially useless at this point.

Cool story. Is she attempting to practice in your state?

Old 01-06-2019, 08:31 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,581,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
If it's proven true of course she should gave her license revoked for life and she should go to jail.
License revoked? Yes. Jail? No. Hateful words are not cause for imprisonment, unless acted upon.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:28 AM

18,453 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Cool story. Is she attempting to practice in your state?
What he is saying is at least partially true for any state. I think her license is probably safe, no matter what state it is in, because the US constitution supersedes any state ramifications.

But her emplyement is another issue. Whoever hires her, takes on a great risk of liability. In malpractice, normally the physician responsible takes on the majority of the liability. In her case, her employer will be taking on that responsibility. You dont have to prove that her employer knew, in order to hold them responsible. You only have to prove that her employer SHOULD have known. Since this was national news, that case will be easily made.

I’m not even sure she is insurable either. Plus malpractice insurance doesn’t cover intentional infliction of harm, so her employer may be on the hook for the entire judgement. And there are criminal charges involved as well.

Even if she truly makes a legitimate “mistake”, it will not be easy to prove that it was a mistake, in light of her statements.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:42 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,767,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
What he is saying is at least partially true for any state. I think her license is probably safe, no matter what state it is in, because the US constitution supersedes any state ramifications.

But her emplyement is another issue. Whoever hires her, takes on a great risk of liability. In malpractice, normally the physician responsible takes on the majority of the liability. In her case, her employer will be taking on that responsibility. You dont have to prove that her employer knew, in order to hold them responsible. You only have to prove that her employer SHOULD have known. Since this was national news, that case will be easily made.

I’m not even sure she is insurable either. Plus malpractice insurance doesn’t cover intentional infliction of harm, so her employer may be on the hook for the entire judgement. And there are criminal charges involved as well.

Even if she truly makes a legitimate “mistake”, it will not be easy to prove that it was a mistake, in light of her statements.
Can you help me understand the bolded part? How is a physician threatening to harm her patients protected by the Constitution when it comes to retaining her license? Are State licensing boards required to wait until she follows through with the threat before they can take action?

Old 01-06-2019, 09:45 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,859,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Go to jail for what? She hasn't broken any laws.
The poster you responded to said "if it is found true..." I don't think that they found any cases (yet- not sure if their audit/investigation is over) of her purposely giving patients the wrong medicines, but "if" that were found to be true, she absolutely could go to jail. You are crazy if you think a physician can't face criminal charges (which could lead to jail time), "if" they "purposely" give a patient the wrong medication. That is different than negligence, and crosses over into a criminal charge where jail time is a real possibility. That is only "if" she were found to have done that, which is what the poster said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies