Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do you post in the political forum?
To have a rational conversation while keeping an open mind. 32 42.11%
To back up those I agree with and irritate those I do not agree with. 6 7.89%
To start an argument with any fish willing to take the bait. 2 2.63%
All of the above depending on my mood. 36 47.37%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 04:55 AM

3,647 posts, read 3,784,210 times

Advertisements

I like reading other people's opinions.

Love citations.

And sometimes learn of an issue that I didn't know about. Then I research it for myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 05:27 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
I started out posting on this forum to actually engage in some sort of meaningful dialogue. It has disheartened me over time to see what/who is actually posting here. People pushing flat out propaganda and lies and other people just trolling or jumping in on what might be a good discussion to just drop in a random insult about the political person we are discussing. I think what bugs me the most is when someone has clearly been proven wrong in a thread, they will not come back and admit it. No one likes to admit they are wrong, and I was clearly wrong about some information I posted last week and I came back to the thread and apologized and corrected it. I can't say I've really seen ANYONE else do that it bothers me way more than it should.

Based on all that, I estimate that of all the posters here, there are about 5% legitimate posters. The rest seem to be propaganda hacks, liars, conspiracy theorists, or so wedded to their political party they cannot see/admit something wrong on their side.

Believe me, not a day goes by that I'm on this forum that I don't question why the hell I'm in here posting. If I wasn't so bored at times, I'm sure I'd give it up.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:39 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,794,120 times
I'm a bottom line person who wants the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. I come for facts and honest dialog.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:54 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times
Some people get away with murder. Others get infractions. I know I can be caustic, I have learned to be really careful, if what I have planned could be considered trolling I just don't post. I go on City-Data morning and evening, enjoy it and don't want to get banned.
I'd rather just skip my what might be controversial posts so I can post on things I care about like in automotive.
I no longer take a chance.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:03 AM

21,121 posts, read 19,707,707 times
I like providing a unique perspective on the topic. Usually so unique that people have no idea what I am talking about.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:08 AM

15,631 posts, read 10,388,492 times
There are several people who contribute thought provoking opinions to this forum and dozens who only engage in name calling, insults, and taunting. While I may agree or disagree politically with the former, I enjoy their posts. The latter are on my ignore list, which makes for quick reading on most topics in this forum.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:04 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
I come here to kill time and argue. If I can't sleep, long line at the DMV, major work project I'm trying to avoid, etc. If I want an honest dialogue, I'll seek that in other places.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:19 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
I had a personal message saying that I was taking some of the conversations in here too seriously.

He said that everyone comes in here to start fights and to argue rather than seeking to have a meaningful dialogue.

I'm sure many of the posters only wish to agitate people (the other side), however, I do not believe this is why most people are here.

Why are you here?

It's a blind pole so feel free to be honest.
I didn't vote because the reason I'm here wasn't listed in your poll. I started to become more active on this forum after the 2016 election. I wanted to try to understand why my fellow Americans would support someone like Trump.

I continue to come back here at intervals because it's so easy to laugh at the Trumpers. Some of the stuff that gets posted here, you just can't make up.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:19 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,036,378 times
I would probably post more if I had more time & if my eyes didn't give out so quick. I'm confused by what constitutes trolling, though. A lot of comments by others that get accused of trolling, imo, seem to come from people that just plain didn't agree with the comment. I read more than I post, rep often for points that are well articulated and that don't have the same personal insults hurled about. Those posters just lose credibility in my eyes, so I scroll past some of them. I don't want to put them on an ignore list though, most people deserve another chance to maybe even change my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies