Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support California's sanctuary state policy?
Nope, it's nuts. 105 86.07%
Yes. Please explain. 17 13.93%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 12:18 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,743,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The OP asked for people's opinions. Why do you feel the need to respond snarkily to individual posters?
He's got nothing better to offer I guess. It's always the same from him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 12:22 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,743,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
You are conflating two separate issues. Sanctuary policies are local law enforcement preferences to encourage good interaction between police and immigrants, both legal and illegals. The arguments in favor of sanctuary are readily available on the internet ... as are the arguments against. So don’t know why you can’t find them.

As for “jumping the line”: pretty much no one thinks that is a good thing or fair. But lots of people like to rant about it as if otherwise.

In any case, the issues of why and how so many illegals have come as they have are myriad and complex. And so are appropriate solutions. Narrow, intellectually incurious minds love to pretend it’s black and white simple ... when it isn’t. And no, this doesn’t mean I think illegal immigration is fine. It means just what I said: it’s complicated. And the benefits and liabilities require a lot more thoughtful sorting out than a bunch of anonymous internet knuckleheads are going to contribute toward a quality solution for the country.
Yes I've seen all of the arguments FOR sanctuary policies "on the internet" as you have stated. They are all completely misguided and foolish.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:26 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
You didn't answer my question, which was what happens to those individuals, US-born or not, who do not qualify for citizenship.
You said I didn’t have ideas, opinions, plans ... I’ve now given you examples of my positions otherwise ... which I have expressed many times on these forums. Just because you haven’t read them before doesn’t mean I don’t have them ... get it?

Those who sneak in and don’t qualify get sent back. Of course. Obviously.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:29 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
He's got nothing better to offer I guess. It's always the same from him.
Guess you didn’t bother to read following posts, eh? Heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
Yes I've seen all of the arguments FOR sanctuary policies "on the internet" as you have stated. They are all completely misguided and foolish.
According to your opinion ... but not according to mayors and police chiefs in hundreds of jurisdictions across the nation. They, of course, are all “misguided and foolish”, while an anonymous poster such as yourself is the arbiter of wisdom ... no need to be able to debate your position with facts, research, and expert opinions from criminologists and sociologists. Righto!

Old 01-03-2019, 12:34 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
What do you think about California's sanctuary state policy?
sanctuary city, state whatever is nuts. Wouldn't it be nice to enter a country illegally, commit a crime and know you are pretty safe. At least you wouldn't be sent to jail for entering the country or sent back to your home country?

Old 01-03-2019, 12:37 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
^^ Both of these. I also had the experience of knowing someone who came to America from what was then called Czechoslovakia in the early 70's. He worked with my late husband. He did everything required of him. He was ecstatic to become a full fledged U.S. citizen. And we were thrilled for him, too. A wonderful man who hasn't had to look over his shoulder and has made a wonderful life here.

I don't know if the laws in our country are too confusing or people are just too lazy now but it's sad to see what's happening here.
it's the bleeding heart liberals, living in these cities and states that are the problem..

Old 01-03-2019, 01:08 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
No, I’m not suggesting that. US -born children of citizens should be granted a guaranteed path to “earned citizenship”, which they have to execute to finalize.

Illegal immigrants already here should be allowed to apply for “path status” based on demonstrating they are / have been productive and not criminal to date.

And the borders should be more tightly controlled / monitored (no, not with a stupid wall). Any new immigrant hopefuls should be considered based on qualifications needed in our national workplaces ... including manual labor in fields where Americans aren’t filling the slots.

Limited humanitarian entries also considered. But mostly, humanitarian concerns should be directed through foreign aid to help people thrive in their home countries.
This make a lot of sense. I'd definitely like to see all of this happen but it seems like we're just dead in the water. It doesn't help when you have a divided Congress and a President who isn't willing to negotiate ... with anyone. I had high hopes about ten years ago when they were actually making a little progress into a good negotiation and then it all fell apart ... yet again. Something has to change or it's only going to get worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
i think there was even a reward when you report someone
I don't know. I don't recall that but then I worked in a capacity where we weren't even allowed to take gratuities from the public, let alone rewards from other agencies. Not even a lousy Christmas cookie, I tell you. Now that is so wrong!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
it's the bleeding heart liberals, living in these cities and states that are the problem..
I don't know about other states but for this one, it might be as simple as you say. I know that there is a very high immigrant population in some of the more liberal counties in this state AND they have the biggest Democrat voting population, too. For my area, we are a bit more conservative although we have illegal immigrants here, too. Because the state no longer abides by federal law, our counties and cities within them aren't able to call ICE. I'm still not sure how any state can get away with disregarding federal law. (I'd love for someone to explain that one to me but do so in a polite manner and don't make snide or snarky comments as I am not an ignoramus on the subject.)

Even with the story BeauCharles commented on (the Newman Police Officer), Adam Christianson, Sheriff of Stanislaus County was very verbal about his displeasure with the state's sanctuary status. He blamed the officer's death on it. It's going to be very interesting to see what happens to that slime that killed Officer Singh and also to the three that helped hide him.

Old 01-03-2019, 01:16 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,809 times
Quote:
I don't know. I don't recall that but then I worked in a capacity where we weren't even allowed to take gratuities from the public, let alone rewards from other agencies. Not even a lousy Christmas cookie, I tell you. Now that is so wrong!
its not for you public employees..its your job to uphold the law. you are being paid for that.

the reward is for the general public

Old 01-03-2019, 01:18 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,181,139 times
Quote:
This make a lot of sense. I'd definitely like to see all of this happen but it seems like we're just dead in the water. It doesn't help when you have a divided Congress and a President who isn't willing to negotiate ... with anyone. I had high hopes about ten years ago when they were actually making a little progress into a good negotiation and then it all fell apart ... yet again. Something has to change or it's only going to get worse.

I don't know about other states but for this one, it might be as simple as you say. I know that there is a very high immigrant population in some of the more liberal counties in this state AND they have the biggest Democrat voting population, too. For my area, we are a bit more conservative although we have illegal immigrants here, too. Because the state no longer abides by federal law, our counties and cities within them aren't able to call ICE. I'm still not sure how any state can get away with disregarding federal law. (I'd love for someone to explain that one to me but do so in a polite manner and don't make snide or snarky comments as I am not an ignoramus on the subject.)

Even with the story BeauCharles commented on (the Newman Police Officer), Adam Christianson, Sheriff of Stanislaus County was very verbal about his displeasure with the state's sanctuary status. He blamed the officer's death on it. It's going to be very interesting to see what happens to that slime that killed Officer Singh and also to the three that helped hide him.
It'll be interesting to see if Gruesome shows up to the funeral. My vote is no he doesn't have the balls to show up

Old 01-03-2019, 01:27 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
its not for you public employees..its your job to uphold the law. you are being paid for that.

the reward is for the general public
Oh. Sorry for the confusion. You're right, though. It was our job to work (and live) by a set of of standards but I could tell you some pretty hair-curling stories of the things that went on in the department. Seriously. There were a few who should have been run out of town on a rail. lol And that's all I'll say about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
It'll be interesting to see if Gruesome shows up to the funeral. My vote is no he doesn't have the balls to show up
Maybe, maybe not. I don't want to see Officer Singh's funeral turned into a political statement. Let the department and other law enforcement, family and friends say goodbye to this man. Ironically, he was an immigrant to this country but achieved citizenship the right way. If ever there was story of polar opposites, this would be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies