Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 09:30 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Airlines should be paying for their own security. This should not be a government job.
It's a violation of the 4th Amendment IMO. I do not believe the government has the right to search me simply because I am engaging in a legal activity. A private enterprise does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 09:31 AM

37,963 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Union officials reporting that TSA workers are beginning to quit because they can't afford to pay their bills after working for nearly 3 weeks without pay.

Way to go, Donald Trump!

It's not Trump's shutdown, it's the hissy fit throwing dems. It's only $5 billion, that's it. It's not like Trump wants $5 trillion.

$5 billion is less money than our federal government misplaces, wastes, or gets stolen thru fraud, each year.

the dems want open borders, they want more illegal aliens pouring across the border, because more states are allowing illegals to vote in state and local elections. Why? Because on average, illegals tend to vote for Democrats.

12,772 posts, read 7,976,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I agree. However, it is wrong to force anyone to work for free. Last time I checked, that was the definition of slavery. If one wants to go with the "But they will be paid later," BS, Bank of America mortgage and Carmax car loans still need to be paid. They dont care that the government hasn't paid the employees, they still want their money. And these employees certainly didn't sign up for employment via IOU.
Many companies are working with their customers to assist them if they are impacted by this. Its not a 100% ideal situation, but lets also not pretend that companies are just being dismissive and giving their customers no options. Its in everyones best interest to work together on their payments.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/02/well...-shutdown.html

Quote:
Wells Fargo said it will consider reversing overdraft fees for customers whose income has been disrupted due to the shutdown. Further, mortgage, loan and credit consumers may qualify for forbearance or other payment assistance programs.

What exactly consumers can qualify for will depend on their individual circumstances, said Tom Goyda, a spokesman for Wells Fargo.

Bank of America has also offered some help for affected clients.

“Our Client Assistance Program is available and designed to help clients experiencing financial hardship,” said spokesman Lawrence Grayson.

The relief that consumers can receive will depend on the particulars of their situations, but may include fee waivers, loan modifications and more, he said. Consumers can call the bank’s assistance line at (844) 219-0690.

45,230 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
My New Years resolution: Don't waste your time trying to reason with angry anti-government gun worshipping right wingers.
Not angry,or a "gun worshipper" or a right winger, but if helps with your misconceptions, delusions and shallow thinking, I'm all for you putting me on ignore.

8,483 posts, read 6,889,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Whats needed next is for the fed gov to turn over the oversight of air travel security and air traffic to the airlines.

And see airline fares soar? No thanks.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:33 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,168,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They are kinda essential, the TSA is not. Essential employees are being paid........which is another discussion.
Essential employees are not being paid, my friend being one of them, essential means they have to go to work.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:34 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
And see airline fares soar? No thanks.
Why would they? On the flipside there is plenty of evidence showing that wherever the guv dips its beak in, prices soar.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:37 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,168,233 times
This is awful and some people’s credit will be ruined because of this shutdown.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:37 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
It's not Trump's shutdown, it's the hissy fit throwing dems. It's only $5 billion, that's it. It's not like Trump wants $5 trillion.

$5 billion is less money than our federal government misplaces, wastes, or gets stolen thru fraud, each year.

the dems want open borders, they want more illegal aliens pouring across the border, because more states are allowing illegals to vote in state and local elections. Why? Because on average, illegals tend to vote for Democrats.
Trump was elected on his promise of making Mexico pay for the wall. What exactly is wrong in holding him to that promise?

Old 01-09-2019, 09:38 AM

37,963 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
{snip}

As for Security, the shutdown is endangering the Airways and overloading the TSA who are two primary pillars in protecting the US so claims of a "Security Crisis" are at best disingenuous.

Illegal aliens, drug smugglers, sex traffickers, gang members and other criminals crossing our southern border, that's a security matter. A paltry $5 billion would go a long way in slowing down illegal border crossings.

The democrats used to echo Trump on border security, and trying to prevent illegal aliens from crossing into the US:

The Democrats on Immigration

In 2005, a left-leaning blogger wrote, “Illegal immigration wreaks havoc economically, socially, and culturally; makes a mockery of the rule of law; and is disgraceful just on basic fairness grounds alone.”

In 2006, a liberal columnist wrote that “immigration reduces the wages of domestic workers who compete with immigrants” and that “the fiscal burden of low-wage immigrants is also pretty clear.” His conclusion: “We’ll need to reduce the inflow of low-skill immigrants.”

That same year, a Democratic senator wrote, “When I see Mexican flags waved at proimmigration demonstrations, I sometimes feel a flush of patriotic resentment. When I’m forced to use a translator to communicate with the guy fixing my car, I feel a certain frustration.”

The blogger was Glenn Greenwald. The columnist was Paul Krugman. The senator was Barack Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies