Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 09:01 AM

33,999 posts, read 17,030,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
That's my concern. You give into someone being unrealistic or don't force them to negotiate, you will never get it. That's no way to run government no matter who is in office. I'm sure the republicans are all cool with it right now, but they certainly wouldn't be if that was being tried by a Democratic president. Be careful what you wish for.
Pelosi & Schumer have not negotiated at all. Negotiation involves giving something concurrent with receiving something. Not a future promise to chat.

Last week, they had their shot, offered squat at WH meeting, and our POTUS correctly ended the meeting.

Happy 23rd Shutdown Day.

Until they compromise, I am all for maintaining the shutdown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 09:04 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,519,507 times
Talking Not so fast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
*****Trump's gov't SHUTDOWN***** MERGED

Haven't read much of this thread and I am sure someone ese also said it is NOT Trump's gov't shutdown.

It is shumer's and pelosi's because they REFUSE to sit down and negotiate.

Just last week Schumer and Pelosi showed up for negotiations. tRump demanded that they give him 100% of what he wanted, then stormed out in a fit when they refused.

It's tRump's shut down.

You'll get dizzy trying to spin it any other way.

tRump: the phart of the deal

Old 01-13-2019, 09:05 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,077,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Pelosi & Schumer have not negotiated at all. Negotiation involves giving something concurrent with receiving something. Not a future promise to chat.

Last week, they had their shot, offered squat at WH meeting, and our POTUS correctly ended the meeting.

Happy 23rd Shutdown Day.

In other words, you thrive on other people’s angst.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
In other words, you thrive on other people’s angst.
Wrong. I am hoping Pelosi & Schumer offer a compromise with concurrent border barrier funding, to start the ball rolling towards restarting full government, but until they do, the WH & Senate should stand their ground.

NP & CS both knew their non offer was a non starter.

The ball is in their court to start the process.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:37 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,798,558 times
A bill passed by almost all democrats in senate provided 25 billion in funding for a border wall but almost all of the GOP senators voted against it!

Trump and the GOP own the shutdown!

Quote:
The so-called Common Sense Caucus, a large bipartisan group led by Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME), released its own outline. The plan had gained the endorsement of Democratic leadership and was technically sponsored by Minority Leader Chuck Schumer. The “Common Sense” plan would have:

-Provided a path to citizenship for 1.8 million undocumented immigrants who came to the country as children
-Offered $25 billion for border security
-Prevented DACA recipients from sponsoring their parents for legal status

It failed 54 to 45. Democrats almost unanimously backed the plan, along with eight Republicans. But the rest of the GOP conference and a handful of Democrats blocked the bill.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...ll-vote-failed

Old 01-13-2019, 09:40 AM

25,436 posts, read 9,791,579 times
Quote:

Happy 23rd Shutdown Day.

Both the Dems and the Reps had come up with a bill several weeks ago for Trump to sign. He's the one who walked away. They also passed bills last week to reopen the government so innocent people don't have to suffer. How is it the Dems fault again? The majority of folks are lying the fault of the shutdown where it needs to be. At Trump's feet.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Wrong. I am hoping Pelosi & Schumer offer a compromise with concurrent border barrier funding, to start the ball rolling towards restarting full government, but until they do, the WH & Senate should stand their ground.

NP & CS both knew their non offer was a non starter.

The ball is in their court to start the process.
The Dems and the Reps had agreed on a bill to keep the government open. Trump walked away. The onus is on him.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:42 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Liberals don't understand that there is already wall and fencing on the border, miles of it. Trump is just helping to close some of the gaps.

The seed and idea that Trump planted of a wall that America needs, won't stop even if Trump can't get his wall. The wall is now an embodiment of American exceptionalism to keep "outsiders" out and it will be constructed eventually.

If our taxpayer money goes toward welfare queens, food stamps, and section 8 housing vouchers, I have no problem with it going towards a border wall.
The longer Trump and Mitchie-Poo allow this to go on, the more of this welfare you hate so much goes to these people who are working without pay (and will soon quit these so called jobs). Make no mistake, these clowns can stop this. But neither of them will. And Mitch McConnell is needed to bring the budget to the Senate floor for a vote. Democrats are willing to throw in money for border security. They are not willing to spend billions of dollars on this pointless tribute to Trump's ego. No Trump supporter, including yourself, is addressing the fact that $5.7 billion is not nearly enough to pay for a wall even if it would work. So it's nothing but a waste of a enormous amount of money. What's the point of it exactly?

Old 01-13-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Trump is not worried about polls/approval rating related to the shutdown. He would be fine if his approval ratings hit rock bottom because of the shutdown. He does not like federal government workers, so he views this whole situation as a win-win. Either he gets what he wants in the wall or he gets to stick it to federal government workers by keeping the government shutdown.
Or eventually McConnell and other Republicans will get tired of their constituents calling their offices and they will take action. The majority of Americans are laying the shutdown at Trump's feet. And you better believe he's watching all the news shows and is indeed concerned about his approval rating. Why do you think he's tweeting non-stop insults about everything and everybody from Hillary to Comey? He has no coping skills and like a little kid who has no coping skills, he resorts to name calling and infantile behavior.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
. Democrats are willing to throw in money for border security.
They need to pass a CR with billions in it, to show that.

Not talk.

Action.

I am sure if they do that, JM & the WH will work towards ending the shutdown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies