Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 03:37 PM

34,007 posts, read 17,041,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
So what do you think will happen if the bill for the Wall passes? It will take years to build and there will be multiple lawsuits by property owners fighting eminent domain. .
It will be built gradually once funded. It already exists in hundreds of miles. This is to join 550 miles more to it, where possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 03:40 PM

46,261 posts, read 27,078,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Yes, my mind can change when there is sufficient data to change it. According to charts, immigration has fallen from 2017 to 2018. So why would the Republicans think there is a wall necessary now when they didn't think there was one necessary in 2017?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/20/u...eclining-.html

Because the number of immigrants is going up?

I'll give you that it was...going down.....

But what about now? How about actually numbers from the BP

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/sw-border-migration

Old 01-20-2019, 03:41 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,525,338 times
Lightbulb You underestimate the impact of polls

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Polls do not matter. This is a Constitutional Republic, not a direct democracy Thank God. We elect officials to represent us, and 30 states with 304 EC votes, elected POTUS 45 Donald J. Trump. McConnell, like Pelosi, plus 533 others in House & Senate were also duly elected.

We do not conduct govt business via polling data.

But the following pay close attention to those polls:

World leaders
Senators
Congressmen
PACs
Lobbyists
Wall Street
Governors
Political contributors

And most of all, tRump himself. He's hyperaware of his poll numbers.

And they're sinking faster than the Titanic.

If the economy begins to look shaky he'll be even farther down.

So much winning!

Old 01-20-2019, 03:47 PM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times
Trump indeed pays attention to polls. When Rasmussen was at 50% approval, he was all over that.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:51 PM

Pleasure to read the "Sky is Falling" tone of liberals here.

Conservs, for the most party, are just going about their lives uninterrupted as govt partially shut.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:51 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,968,897 times
What is it going to take for either Trump or the Democrats to give up a little ground make a compromise? 800,000 people are about to miss their second paycheck if the government isn't reopened by next Thursday. There are businesses and factories that depend on federal contracts that are hurting. Trump's approval rating is slipping, sure, but what will it take for him or the Democrats to get serious about passing a budget that everyone can agree on?

People and their families are stressing out and going underwater to make end's meet in the meantime. TSA workers are starting to quit, border agents aren't being paid, the NTSB is unable to investigate over 70 aviation related incidents and crashes. Is it going to take a natural catastrophe or natural disaster in order to restore funding? I'm really scratching my head here wondering what it takes to make either side crack. It's as if they don't care that people are caught in the middle and suffering. I give a nod to Pelosi that at least she has mentioned the federal workers and is trying to pass bills to reopen departments of the government, but she knows that McConell will not let them go to a vote in the Senate, she knows it.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:

Conservs, for the most party, are just going about their lives uninterrupted as govt partially shut.

I have several conservative friends who are federal workers who are very stressed out about this situation and their financial status.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
What is it going to take for either Trump or the Democrats to give up a little ground make a compromise? .
Trump courteously offered. Pelosi turned her nose up at it.

Let the Shutdown roll.

Happy 30th Shutdown Day to all.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Trump courteously offered. Pelosi turned her nose up at it.

Let the Shutdown roll.

Happy 30th Shutdown Day to all.

There was nothing courteous about the offer. And he was offering things he already took away, that's not a good deal.

Let the economy tank on account of the government shutdown, maybe when we go into a recession because of this enough people will wake up and realize that this shutdown can and will affect them.

Old 01-20-2019, 04:05 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,077,296 times
Quote:

My, my...just like Trump said the same nonsense, you are both wrong and misinformed. Here in the Midwest are thousands and thousands of federal employees who supported him.
Notice I said supported, as in past tense.
He has miscalculated and lost their votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies